The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Commanche single shot

http://www.comanche-firearms.com/cat...ot_45_410.aspx

What do you think about reaming this out to 454 or 460?
Will it blow up in my face?

Anyone know if they are at all accurate?

Why doesn't H&R make them?
Old March 12, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
OkieCruffler

First off, yes, it would blow up.
Trigger pull on these is horrid and the track record on these 45/.410 guns for accuracy is not stellar.
Old March 12, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
hydroholic

Don't know about this particular model but know someone who bought one in 357 and the timing was off bad enough from the start that it only fired 2 rnds where the firing pin barely hit the edge of the primer and that was it. The next couple trigger pulls missed the primer totaly. It was a mess when he finally stopped pulling the trigger( lots of lead around the entrance of the barrel and bottom of cylinder). Could have been worse. Their build quality doesn't even qualify as Low Low end IMHO! But as for accuracy from these " .45LC/.410 guns" go, You should shoot some of the newer ones and quit reading all the negativety about them cause most of it is whithout merit! I have shot the Judge , The Judge Public Defender and the Raging Judge all with ther perspective rnds and can tell you they are plenty accurate, especialy the Raging Judge which is deadly accurate.To many people giving non-experienced reviews of these weapons. It is just ridiculous how many people are against the success of these guns and have never even shot one. They will stop an assailant DEAD in his tracks ( especially with the new SD rnds) and do other things quite well and a lot of fun to shoot! They will succeed and are here to stay so the haters might as well get use to it. Their has already been instances of them being used in self defense against deadly force and have done the job quite nicely! And at the rate they are selling, that will do nothing but increase.
Old March 12, 2012, 05:05 PM   #4
OkieCruffler

Well my experience with the 45/410 barrels have been with Contenders where I expect to shoot under and inch at 50 yrds with 10 inch barrels so perhaps my idea of accuracy is abit different. Not sure how you jumped from the OP's question about a single shot break open pistol to the foundry depleteing Judge.
Old March 12, 2012, 06:47 PM   #5
RJay

I have to agree that it may be a bad ideal, the pressure level of the cartridges listed far exceed the 45/410 level, and the Comanche is not the highest quality gun. Advise is like belly buttons,every one has something to offer, my offering is to use a Thomson to play with, at least you will keep your fingers and eyes. Or you could make a vidio titled " Here, hold my beer and watch this "
Old March 12, 2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Prof Young

Mine works fine . . .

Shooter's:
I've owned this very gun for several years now. The barrel is rifled. It comes with a screw on barrel end that has straight rifling to stop the 410 shot from spinning. The other screw on end is smooth. I've killed a lot of squirrels with this gun. In fact I bought it as a "back up" gun for when I want to shoot a squirrel out of a tree but didn't want to shoot a rifle in an unsafe direction. Anyway the 410 reaches out well to about 20 yards for squirrel kills. I've shot some 45 colt out of it and the accuracy is fair. It's a fun gun to shoot, and has been very reliable.

I think you'd be out of your mind to bore out any barrel for a more powerful load. Just crazy.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 12, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
slugoo

I bought a comanche and can tell you it is a total waste of money as far as accuracy goes in a 45 Colt. The gun is a piece of pipe with a trigger and hammer and I would never ever shoot a ruger only load in this gun.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:33 AM   #8
hydroholic

Okie, I began by commenting on the only Commanche I have had any dealings with as I stated from the start. Then I responded on your comment about the accuracy of the .45/.410 which is when I refered to the newer handguns that fire these rnds and their accuracy. Just so happens the Judges and the Governor are at the top of this chain as far as the developement of newer rnds that I was refering to concerning accuracy. So I don't think I was off subject, just responding to your comment. Didn't mean to affend you and will finish with, some of the cheapest single shot weapons have been some of the best ones I have had as far as that goes and the Commanchee single shot may function just fine. But their revolvers are built to less than acceptable standards.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:10 PM   #9
KevininPa

Thank you Prof Young

I don't get to hear too much about these from actual owners. There's a video on youtube showing the .410 spread with these and I'm mildly surprised. Unlike the H&R .45/.410 I had, and some other "combo" type barrels I've seen, the Comanche seems to actually pattern half decent within reasonable distances. I've been eyeing one of these up for pest control that can be worn in a holster. Got a Snake Charmer that's been doing a good job for close to eighteen years, but it's always sitting in another corner of the property when it's needed at the moment.

There's a posting somewhere that a gentleman took one of these and improved it quite a bit. Smoothed out the trigger, cut off the rear and front site and added a bead. He didn't care about shooting .45s, just wanted the .410. He also made some wood furniture for it for nice. Pretty decent job.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Prof Young

pest control

KevininPa
The owner of the store I bought mine from had sold one to a guy who mounted a holster for it on his riding mower. Apparently the gophers were always coming to the surface when he mowed, but a regular long gun was just too cumbersome to take on the mower. Put some #4 shot in that thing and gopher's beware!
Live well, be safe.
Old March 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I am looking for a deer pistol.
TC Encore barrels are apparently junk in 460. SO I have to get a third party. $300 for the barre is the cheapest I can find(used). By the time I mount a scope, brake, etc, $6-700. A little excessive IMO.
If TC made good 460 barrels I could get away with a $200 TC barrel.
This popped up and having a dedicated gun seemeed like an option worth looking at.
Old March 16, 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Anyone find any contact info for Lasaray Firearms in Argentina? Lasaray may not be spelled correctly.

Maybe not. The importer says this company makes the Super Commanche, but it seems to me like it is made by Firestorm which is actually Bersa. How confusing.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13
mpgray

Super Commanche

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and a new owner of a super commanche 410/45. Can anyone tell me if it's a good idea or not to fire the 45 round with the .410 choke tube in?
Old October 29, 2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Master Blaster 2

I had a chrome Super Commanche. Cheap $150.00 Contender want to be. Plastic grips like a cowboy SA. They work. Rates with the Hi-Point. Functional. Listing new $220-240.
As for reaming this out to 454 or 460. Please before you shoot it make me be your beneficiary on the life insurance policy.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; October 29, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:15 AM   #15
bull bob

Lets put it this way, a 460 S&W will fire a 454, the 454 is rated at about 60,000 psi. The original Colt 45 is rated at about 25-30,000 cup. Less than half. In a word, no.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

I have no expirience with the gun listed, but tons of exprience with Contenders... & the Contender is not rated for the pressures of 454 or 460 S&W... & from my understanding, the Contender is a much better quality fire arm than the Commanche... I do have some hot 45 Colt loads for deer hunting, & in my 10" deer hunting barrel, the gun makes my knuckles bleed with in 10 rounds or so... so... even if you could get a light weight 10" single shot ( like maybe the Encore ) I'm guessing that it would be more than a handfull...

BTW... what is up with the 460 S&W barrels in the Encore ??? since S&W now owns the company, I wouldn't think if there were problems with a barrel, for a cartridge with their name on it, that they would let that go on for very long ???
Old October 31, 2012, 07:58 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

I guess they use 45 colt blank and the twist is all wrong.

I was planning to do the old trap gun trick and drill some holes in the wood then fill with lead. With a good cross body sling I could get it pretty heavy B4 having to worry.

I ended up with an OEM 460 Encore barrel though. Price was right. If it doesn't shoot worth a darn I will give them hell until they send me one that works, even if in a different caliber.