The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 12, 2010, 11:55 PM   #51
MH-6 21

KC flash mob

http://www.kmbc.com/news/23126070/detail.html

The link is to a news report covering a recent mob in Kansas City, MO over the weekend. They talk about an off duty police officer drawing a weapon to deter the crowd.

Just thought I'd share

EDIT: just wanted to clarify that the off duty officer was in Washington, D.C. it did not happen at the mob that was on the plaza over the weekend.

Last edited by MH-6 21; April 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:12 AM   #52
Powderman

I think the best example to give is the Rodney King riots in California.

Thousands of people went on an instant rampage, and the police beat a hasty retreat. Any building that looked like it contained something of value was a target--and so were the people.

A group of Korean storeowners, seeing what was happening, quickly armed themselves--with shotguns and rifles like AR15's--and posted themselves in plain view. Result? Their businesses were not touched.

I believe that the response to a quickly developing situation like that is to turn into a "hedgehog"--round, spiny, sharp to the touch and very unpleasant to hold.

Yes, you might only have 8 or 14 or 16 or 17 or so rounds in that magazine, but the observation is that no one wants to be the first one to be shot. Just make sure you are right when you draw your sidearm--and be prepared to use it when justified to do so.
Old April 13, 2010, 12:58 AM   #53
Nnobby45

Quote:
A group of Korean storeowners, seeing what was happening, quickly armed themselves--with shotguns and rifles like AR15's--and posted themselves in plain view. Result? Their businesses were not touched.
They organized themselves into a---well, a militia. They had a command structure, with rank, and they patrolled their neighborhoods as well as some black neighborhoods. When one group was attacked at their store/home, they fired over the heads of their attackers, who promptly fled (and went elsewhere and burned down peoples livlihoods).

The news media filmed the Koreans firing over the heads of their attackers. And a picture in Time Magazine (I think it was Time) had the caption "LA citizens turn into Vigilantes". I don't think the mob of looters and arsonists was even shown in either case.

These looters weren't the "ordinary" people of the community who had already looted their own stores. They were a roving band of armed thugs and arsonists.

The Police had been ordered to stay out because it was too dangerous for them--even armed and in groups.

The Mayor banned ammo sales. Many folks were shocked to discover that there was a waiting period in effect for gun purchases.

Some of Charleton Hestons' Hollywood friends called him and asked for immediate gun training. They feared the looting would spread to their homes.

Chief Daryl Gates blamed the order to stay away on one of his subordinates.

Citizens of LA Central were on their own. And have been in a number of cities since when there was unrest and no police. Inf fairness, many LA cops didn't like that order, and were willing to do their jobs.
Old April 13, 2010, 07:26 AM   #54
misnomerga

Quote:
The news media filmed the Koreans firing over the heads of their attackers. And a picture in Time Magazine (I think it was Time) had the caption "LA citizens turn into Vigilantes". I don't think the mob of looters and arsonists was even shown in either case.
I can vouch for the hypocrisy of the "News" media when it comes to coverage of situations like this. It is no longer news but "my point of view" information to persuade the listener or viewer to agree with what I believe. If I am anti-gun then it doesn't matter whether the people without the guns have just maimed, beaten, and raped defenseless people, it is those bullies with those guns that are hurting people. I attended a rally one time where the people on one side of the rally numbered in the +10,000 and the opposition protesters were represented by a handful of people. The picture and caption the next day in the paper was shot very creatively so that the handful of people appeared in the foreground with their sign and the thousands of people who they opposed appeared behind them blurry in the background. The caption led readers to believe thousands turned out in protest the rally when that was a total lie.