The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Doc4USMC

Screwed up.....

Don't ask me how, but somehow I just reloaded 500 rounds of 124gr Winchester RN sitting on top of 4.6 gr WIN 231. Sounds good so far, huh. Well, I somehow used CCI small rifle primers. According to Speer the SP energy level is 5.50 Ft pounds, the SP Mag is 8.80 and the SR is 6.0. I have read several posts through a Google search that says it will not be a problem other than the RP has a harder primer case, others say it is a no go. Should I fire them, or begin the depriming marathon? Thanks in advance!!

And I don't even store them in the same place. There was a single box with 11 SP boxes!!! I can't explain how this happened unless when I purchased them, there was a mixed up box. I am at a loss.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:01 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Is that a max load with the SP primer? If not, they should be just fine with SR's unless your firing pin can't reliably pop them. (When I first started reloading, I was loading .30 Carbine and 9mm, and I used SR primers for both because I didn't trust myself to keep the SP primers out of the carbine cases.)

If they are max loads, proceed cautiously but they still might be OK. Pretend they are "+P" loads.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Nnobby45

I'm looking at the Speer Manual #12. It lists 4 different 125 gr. bullets all with just one load of 5.6 gr. W231 and DNR. (do not reduce). This is max for standard pressure.

Their +P loads, with sames bullets, start at 5.6 W231 and max's at 5.9

Let not your heart be troubled.