The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 26, 2007, 10:55 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Something else about this south Texas dove hunting: More than one fella has found himself arguing about the rights of possession with a dadgummed rattlesnake.

Art
Old January 26, 2007, 02:06 PM   #27
roy reali

Big Difference

There is a big difference between not counting lost game and taking more then the legal limit. Unless I misunderstood, in one of the previous posts, someone seemed to claim he knows guys that take more then the limit.

That is no different then being a thief. Those folks have no business sharing field or forest with law abiding hunters.
Old January 26, 2007, 03:05 PM   #28
rem33

unfortunatly some people seem to want more than their share.

Last edited by rem33; January 26, 2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: nuff said
Old February 1, 2007, 04:46 PM   #29
Yellowfin

No. Doves are in absolutely no threat of me making even the slightest impact on their population, nor from anyone else. By no means do I advocate being loose on the count in total lest we encourage another passenger pidgeon occurrance, but I doubt seriously that at the present cost of shotshells and horridly diminished numbers of young hunters--mostly due to divorce rates than any other factor-- there is little concern at all for overhunting of them. I eat whatever I shoot and I see few people who don't, so that ends that matter. The truly trigger happy go to Argentina for massive shoots; there isn't much of that kind of activity that I'm aware of here, or at least not in Alabama. I think the days of the bloodthirsty jackasses that killed off the buffalo and such are long since done.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:19 AM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yellowfin, the demise of the Passenger pigeon was due to habitat loss (clearing of forests for farmland) and meat hunting for restaurant supply. In no way was it anything similar to today's hunting.

Same for the buffalo. The near-eradication was U.S. Government policy to "...destroy the commisary of the Plains Indian."

Art