The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 11, 2001, 07:43 PM   #1
GGGLOCK

Milt Sparks SS or VM2?

After careful consideration, I've narrowed my choices for an IWB for my full size 1911 to either the Summer Special or VersaMax2. I would like to hear the opinions, pro or con, of those that have tried both. What are the advantages/disadvantages to one or the other.

My primary concern is comfort. Not too worried about concealability, because either one will conceal a 1911 well. Cost is not a factor either.

TIA
Old August 12, 2001, 06:47 AM   #2
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Milt Sparks

GG,
Like most of us, i have several large boxes of holsters that didn't cut the mustard.
My everyday, no two ways about it carry holster is a SS, and has been for 16 years.
I was intro'd to it when it was issued to me way back when, and it continues to be the most comfortable holster i've worn.
My 1911 sorta' looks like it belongs in it now.
Of course, i've never used a VesaMax holster, so i have no frame of reference, but Milt Sparks has provided me with great gear over the years.

Hope this helps!

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old August 12, 2001, 06:36 PM   #3
STEVE M

I own and have used both. The biggest thing as far as comfort is your body. Both are very good holsters, but hold the gun at different heights. MY body prefers the VM-2, YOUR body my like the SS better. If at all possible try before you buy.
Other things to consider: the VM-2 can be worn as a 'tuckable' the SS can't; The SS is a smaller holster; The VM-2 (and SS2) have interhangable belt loops, the SS doesn't; the SS is much cheaper; The SS is ruff side out, the VM-2 isn't (my experiance is the looser your clothing the more important this is); Lastly (my opinion the VM-2 looks better (personal preferance).
If cost is no object, buy both and sell the one you don't like ( or be like me and keep bothD
Old August 12, 2001, 09:04 PM   #4
JNewell

Also have and use both. For comfort, I think it's a toss-up. The VM spreads out over a little more area because of the offset belt loops...that might make a difference, but I can't tell you which way it would work for you. As I said, for me, they're more or less the same. The VM is a little slimmer over the slide, because the loops are not on the slide.
Old August 13, 2001, 09:28 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

The hip-tumor lump created by the SS is more pronounced, but narrow. The VM2's is less pronounced, but wider. I think the wider format works better for concealment. I own two VM2s and think they are great.