The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 5, 2016, 06:20 PM   #1
PACraftsman

American Eagle 45 acp vs the Federal 45 acp

Is there any real difference between the Federal American Eagle 230 gr FMJ 45 acp and the Federal 230 gr FMJ 45 acp? At one time I thought there was because the American Eagle was a bit cheaper, but with age I forget. What caused my question is at times I am finding the Federal Boxes for less, not that I'm complaining. I just want clarification.
Old September 5, 2016, 07:19 PM   #2
jaytothekizzay

Factory target ammo...basically all the same

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old September 5, 2016, 08:17 PM   #3
michael t

I bet the only real difference is the box . Really going to run two lines .Just for 230 ball.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Eazyeach

It doesn't make a difference. It's a bloody45!!!! The magic bullet. Lol. Just check out some caliber debate threads. Seriously though they are basically the same exact thing. Buy whichever happens to be cheaper.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:38 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some makers will deny it, but they essentially load two levels of ammo. One is the more expensive kind, intended for serious target work or police/self defense use, and loaded more slowly and with greater care; the other, cheaper, kind is cranked out as fast as the machines will run. Maybe made in a foreign country, it is OK, but dies are run longer, inspections are not as thorough, specs go right to the bar.

Jim
Old September 6, 2016, 04:36 PM   #6
PACraftsman

Jim, thanks for refreshing my memory. Once I read your reply, I remember getting almost that same explanation from a gentleman approx 25 years ago.

Thanks for the input from everyone else as well.
Old September 7, 2016, 06:03 AM   #7
JDBerg

The way I understand it, 230 grain FMJ Fed American Eagle .45 ACP is loaded to 840 fps, uses current commercial powder and full metal jacket bullets, and uses standard large pistol primers, while 230 grain Federal Champion .45 ACP is loaded to 830 fps, uses a bulk version of Bullseye powder and copper plated bullets, and uses non-standard small pistol primers. Both have worked fine for me over the years in different pistols.

Last edited by JDBerg; September 7, 2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:03 AM   #8
SmokinTom

What Jim said. Just buy the cheaper ones. Basically the same thing.