The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2016, 09:41 AM   #1
badding0

Buying Range Brass

Rangebrass.us

I was looking at this company online and was wondering if anyone had used them to buy range brass to do reloading with. I reload with mixed head stamp for hunting with my Winchester model 70 chambered in .308 anyways. the nearest range to me to find brass (hit or miss) is about an hour and a half away.
I don't have any tools to remove crimped primer pockets that I know of so id rather keep military brass down to a low if possible.
or if anyone else has any suggestions as to where to get range brass at or near the price that this company is listing it for that would be awesome.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:09 AM   #2
condor bravo

Not familiar with that vendor but instead of mixed military range brass without means to swage primer pockets, would definitely bypass and go for once fired commercial. "Range brass" could be several times fired. For commercial once fired .308s and others at good prices, check out www.oncefiredbrass.com. Their selections will be for same headstamp per quantity, often Winchester or Federal.

Last edited by condor bravo; August 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 25, 2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Fotheringill

It is risky enough to use once fired brass, but not smart at all to use range brass. You have no idea who did what and how many times it was done to the cases. IMHO, buy 500 rounds of new, unfired brass and you will then be in complete control of what happens in your chamber.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:38 AM   #4
badding0

Quote:
It is risky enough to use once fired brass, but not smart at all to use range brass. You have no idea who did what and how many times it was done to the cases. IMHO, buy 500 rounds of new, unfired brass and you will then be in complete control of what happens in your chamber.
forgive me for this question, it may be more obvious to some rather than others like myself, but, Ive picked up brass that has split case necks that ive thrown out. but with visual inspection of the brass. ie. (checking for holes, cracks, bulges, small perforations that may not brake through on the body. enlarged primer pockets) what would be so bad about a case that passes visual inspection. if I shoot it, and it splits, im not at too much of a loss at 100 cases for $14 shipped.

I haven't experienced catastrophic case failures yet so there may be something you guys have experienced that I have not.

im not a benchrest shooter so im not looking for the single hole shots at 200 yards. 1" at 100 is what ive been getting with mixed range brass.
Old August 25, 2016, 12:18 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The only issue with "range brass" is the unknown quality of it. Even with stuff that is commercially sold you have no idea what has been done it or with it. Visual inspections can't see incipient case failures.
"...shoot it and it splits..." That could mean a blast of really hot gases coming back into the receiver, blowing out the bottom of the rifle at the very least. Possibly sending the gasses into your face.
Once fired is a different thing. That's usually milsurp and has its own minor issues if purchased as such. You buy a box of factory ammo and shoot it, you have once fired brass.
Old August 25, 2016, 12:26 PM   #6
g.willikers

Don't be deterred by military brass with crimped primer pockets.
It's a very simple thing to deal with.
As for the risks of range brass, the better versions of shotgun hulls and most pistol brass is usually safe.
I've been using those for a long time without consequences.
Rifle brass, on the other hand, can be a serious hazard.
Sometimes going cheap is not so cheap.
Old August 25, 2016, 01:08 PM   #7
badding0

ok so you guys are actually saying its a substantial hazard to shooting range brass without knowing the history of how it was used. that I can understand. I didn't know if it was because of a legitimate reason, such as, it could actually ruin my gun and or me. or if it was just a "consistency is key" argument.
I shall stay clear of range brass. so that being said.

would www.oncefiredbrass.com be the safer/economical option in this case or are we still standing in the same sinking ship, being only "once fired"?

Last edited by badding0; August 25, 2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:02 PM   #8
DavidAGO

I don't think it could be characterized as a substantial hazard. I use a lot of range brass, much of my brass for pistol rounds and for my .270 and .308 is pick ups at the range or used brass I have bought. Common sense should be employed. No, you cannot always tell if a piece of brass is about to go bad, but after tumbling and cleaning you can tell a lot with a visual inspection.

The condition of the outside of the case tells you a lot about the case; using a bent sharpened paperclip to feel for any striations inside the case tell you a lot. but I have no compunction about throwing out a piece of brass I am in the least bit concerned about.

David
Old August 25, 2016, 02:09 PM   #9
briandg

I agree that picking up range brass for a rifle is not a good idea, and I'm not going much farther, because I feel like chicken litttle. Range pickup Is already something that another guy left behind, for example, that pile of 5.56 may have been left behind by the last guy because he had already used it six times and he didn't want to reload it again.

You take risks reusing any products, whether it's rifle brass, pistol brass, or even used cars.

IMO, using range findings for rifle brass is like drinking out of a bottle of tequila that was found on a park bench.

Even buying from a once fired brass company will still probably get you mixed case heads and lots, and some unknowns, but it should be at least safe.

My suggestion for you would be to spend a few more dollars and buy unfired, bulk brass from a discount dealer.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/768?

Grafs has an $8 flat rate fee. You can get 100 lake city pull downs, primed and unfired, for about 45 cents a round. This is what I suggest. It doesn't matter what you want it for, your brass is what holds in the powder explosion and keeps you from being hurt. You can still make a mistake and blow up your rifle, but this will eliminate a little bit of risk.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:40 PM   #10
condor bravo

Re: response to post #7
No, once fired brass would not be on the same sinking ship standard as "range brass", and should be a safe bet. As pointed out, fire a box of factory ammunition and you now have once fired brass. I have purchased a number of orders of '06 Federal brass from www.oncefiredbrass.com since I prefer the Federals for the Garand. Their brass availability can vary from day to day and sometimes they do have some hard to find calibers.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:47 PM   #11
hooligan1

Sleeping Giant Brass.
Scott will take care of you and it ships fast.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:57 PM   #12
briandg

like I said earlier about chicken little, I am really paranoid about a lot of things. Commercial once fired used to be from test firing a lot of brass at factories. Some of it came from matches with factory supplied ammo. It could be counted on. God knows where the stuff actually comes from now, but it's not an absolute that once fired brass from a good dealer is a bad idea, as long as you are buying grade one unmixed headstamp.

Once fired military you could usually count on to be exactly what it was sold as. Once fired training ammo that was policed up after every range session, packed up in barrels, sold for recycling, and then sorted out into bulk for commercial sale. Once I bought a bucket of 9 mm once fired 9mm, and got a load of mixed foreign military garbage. Once I bought a bucket of once fired 5.56 and got a bunch of usable brass to load for my brother. Once I bought a bucket of mixed once fired police turn in brass in .38, and 90 percent or more was clean, good commercial grade 1.

Still using the .38. the 9mm was slowly weeded out and sent to be melted to slag. Personally, when I send brass for recycling, I bend the cases before dumping it into the recycle bucket. last time I did it I just put it into a cloth bag and banged on it with a rubber mallet.
Old August 25, 2016, 03:24 PM   #13
firewrench044

range brass is risky
I am very happy with once fired military brass
( lots of life left in it )
Look at Brass Bombers web site, they have brass that
is cleaned and swagged ( no messing with primmer crimp )
most of his cases are free shipping
he ships second day
Old August 25, 2016, 03:34 PM   #14
badding0

guys, I really appreciate the replies, im going to steer clear of range brass considering the overwhelming responses I received. ive been looking at the websites you all recommended, not much difference in price compared to the website I previously asked about so I think its obvious that the next choice ill make.

again thank you.