The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Metal god

Here's what I did before I bought the Redding type "S" bushing dies . I bought the standard Redding two die set http://www.midwayusa.com/product/134...270-winchester

Then added the micrometer seating stem http://www.midwayusa.com/product/724...270-winchester

Now that was for 308 but I still use the seating die and went to the FL bushing die . When I stepped up to better dies for my 223 ( was using Lee ) I bought the single seating die and added the micrometer stem for a total of $75 and also went to the FL Bushing die there as well .

I can load some pretty fine ammo with those combo's with out breaking the bank .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 17, 2015, 10:30 PM   #27
dahermit

Quote:
dahermit, If the seating die does not offer case body support etc., etc.. I would think there was more going on than the make, brand and model. I have had seating dies that were powered by the palm of the hand that did better than that.
Like I said, it was the worst RCBS seating die I ever encountered. I suspect a lemon in that instance. I ended up buying a premium set of dies for that gun, but it was so long ago, I do not remember the brand of dies I replaced the RCBS dies with (I think Redding, but not sure). In any event, runout with the new dies was very good.
Old December 18, 2015, 12:06 AM   #28
oldreloader

"Some shooters swear by Lee's $20 collet die as producing the straightest cases & thus the least run-out."
I'm one of them.
Old December 27, 2015, 02:04 AM   #29
HiBC

SEHunter,per your request in post 23,this will take you to Forster's page for their description:
http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...eloading-dies/
Old December 27, 2015, 07:39 AM   #30
SEHunter

Thanks HiBC
Old December 27, 2015, 10:23 AM   #31
603Country

One good thing about the Lee Collet Die is that it does not care what neck wall thickness your cases have. It still helps to lightly turn the necks. With a bushing die, for best results, your case neck wall thickness needs to be consistent.

These days, for most calibers, I use the Lee Collet Die, which only resizes the neck, until the case shoulder needs to be bumped back slightly. For the shoulder bump, I use a Redding Body Die.

All in all though, unless you have an extremely accurate rifle, fancy dies and special techniques are pretty much wasted.
Old December 27, 2015, 01:41 PM   #32
SEHunter

Another practical statement... I'm a big fan of practicality. The gun I'm loading for has good potential and I'll see if it's a shooter after a session or two with hand loads. It's certainly not a custom rifle but it's a REM 700 barreled action wrapped up with good aftermarket parts so it should be sub MOA with the right load unless it's just a lemon.

I have the Forester and Lee collet dies in my pocket for now. I'm going to start with what I have on hand combined with careful technique. Really it will all come down to my groups and runout. If one is way off, I'll switch gears.