The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 7, 2009, 02:50 AM   #51
Noobieshooter

okie doke

Last edited by Noobieshooter; April 7, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:33 AM   #52
ChCx91

Quote:
do all cops treat their guns like crap?
No. I, for one, clean my service weapon at least once a month. If I have to qualify with it or shoot it for practice, I clean it right after I shoot, right there at the range; our department offers all kinds of q-tips, bore pads, rods, brushes, rods, CLP, etc.

About the condition of the guns you saw...you have to understand that the type of weapon a police officer gets issued (at least in our department) is not always the best one. Some officers get brand new guns and some get old ones; As long as the gun passes inspection, it has to be in service. I, unfortunately, got issued an old gun that must have been in service over 10 years before I got it, but it works like a charm. My service pistol has NEVER jammed or malfunctioned (I hope I didn't just jynx myself), but I guess that is due to my proper maintenance.

If I EVER EVER see another officer with an improperly maintained weapon, I WILL say something about it. Have I seen another officer with crappy maintenance habits? Yes. Do they always listen to me? No.

Not all cops are all that smart either; very ignorant and stubborn with the stupid "Oh it'll be alright" vibes. Police, just like sheep, come in all different mindsets and attitudes. To each thier own..

This may sound cold, but the lazy SOBs and ignorant fool officers that do not properly maintain thier equipment are the SOBs and ignorant fool officers that get killed in the line of duty. A dirty and in-operative weapon is one of the top 5 reasons a police officer is killed in the line of duty.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:08 PM   #53
T. O'Heir

Yep.
Two plain clothes cops came into the shop, long ago. Revolvers only in those days. One was looking to change his grips(the only thing they were allowed to do). The other guy decides he'll buy a set too. Reaches for his piece. Had the holster on, but no gun. His partner went ballistic.
Same scenario, one guy. Goes to unload so the grips could be put on. The revolver was rusted shut.
Buddy of mine's brother was a cop, very long ago. He told me, he and his partner got assigned to 'The Bank Car'(only one with a pump shotgun then), one day. Neither one of 'em knew how to load it.
Rolled into the range one evening. Everybody is atwitter. Somebody had left a Glock with ammo and mags on one of the shooting positions. Called the locals to come pick it up. Took 5 minutes to explain to the guy who showed up what happened and that he had to take it. Found out later it had been left by a cop who had been shooting, alone, sometime in the afternoon.
Shot ISU(ISSF now) with them. Some of 'em would show up with just their service revolver with fixed sights. We beat them regularly. Even in their own, tax payer built, poor lighting(flourescent light is horrible), range.
Old April 18, 2009, 07:08 AM   #54
GUNSITE

Being a active Marine many many years ago, i have a few compulsion, they are... Foot-ware, tailored clothes, haircut, and cleaning my weapon after shooting, and keeping it clean.

Cops are not necessarily GUN enthuses, i was.