The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Is this ammo okay for home defense.

I was wondering if it would be okay to use this ammunition for home defense. I want my wife to be very efficient and not affraid to use the shotgun if she has to.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...gauge-buckshot

I was thinking about buying enough for practice and home defense use.

Yes I have a pump shotgun, and my wife has a very small frame and bruises easily. No I will not get a pistol. I do not want pistols laying around the house loaded becaues I have 3 kids. I do have them but they are in the safe or on my body.

George Orwell
Old March 11, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2
SDC

It could easily be, but most pumps won't work properly with ammo that short; the shell-stops aren't spaced properly for that short of a shell length, so when you pump the forearm, they let a full shell PLUS part of another shell out onto the lifter, and you end up with a jam that's a *%$# to clear, never mind the problem you were trying to deal with with that shotgun in the first place. If you want to use those, I'd suggest a side by side; otherwise, get some low-recoil buckshot, and spend a day with her at the range so she knows what to expect when she squeezes the trigger.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:09 PM   #3
wnycollector

This is from the Aguila webpage. I hope it helps! Also I think they would be nice in a side by side coach gun!!!!

Modification of Shotguns to Fire
"Aguila" Minishells

First of all, any SAAMI/CIP approved 12ga shotgun may fire minishells, be it side-by-side, over-and-under or pump action; however, the latter type will not cycle them flawlessly. The out-of-the-box shotgun that we have tested cycling minishells very well, is the Winchester M1300 18" Defender. Winchesters 1897 seems to like the shorter rounds, however not as much as the Winchester 1300. We still have to test the Winchester 1887.

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. To further solve the problem, we have lengthened and widened the little short metal bar (shell elevator), which catches the round to be subsequently fed to the ramp and chamber. This modification will not prevent you from firing regular size shot shells. The other modification that would decisively help in the proper cycling, would be to install the ejector in a more forward position to catch the spent shorter shell and eject it, before it may flip and cause jams. However, we DO NOT recommend you to do this, because you will most likely no longer be able to fire regular size shells.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to perform the modification to the elevator described above.

REMINGTONS 870s seem to require a more involved modification, which we have never attempted. We have received calls from clients stating that they have tried our minishells in their 870s with excellent results, and that they did not understand why we have always mentioned the potential cycling problems. To this, we would like to state once more that minishells will not cycle flawlessly in regular pump action shotguns, no matter how well some customers are able to cycle them. Again, the Winchester 1300 Defender would seem to be the one cycling minishells best.

We do not know of any semi-automatic shotguns functioning with minishells.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
john1911

Is this ammo okay for home defense.

In a word, no.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Crosshair

In a pump action, no. Too many problems with feeding and ejection.

As for SXS and O/U guns, they work just fine.
Old March 11, 2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Slopemeno

I'd look at the low-recoil tactical buckshot thats available. I wouldn't trust that ammo to cycle properly in a pump when it's go time.
Old March 11, 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

If you have a Winchester 1300, maybe. If you have any other shotgun, no.
Old March 13, 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
skipjack

We have sold thousands of these shells at our indoor range. They work best in a double barrel, but can work in pump guns. I have found that you must work the pump very briskly to prevent a jam. Mossberg pump shotguns are more problematic than remingtons in cycling, in my experience. The elevator in the remington is solid, and it can work.

They are a great way to introduce new shooters to shotguns. I would, however, probably consider some low recoil buckshot for home defense work.

I recently purchased some Italian made buckshot shells that are 2", and these seem to cycle better than the Aguila. I can't remember the manufacturer, but pm me if you would like the details. I will check at the shop and get back to you.

By the way, I have dealt with ammunition to go, and they are a very good company.
Old March 13, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Boris Bush

My brother has a chicom copy of the 870 and it has cycled more than I could count without a problem and he has it loaded with them right now.

Buy a couple of boxes and try them out. They are cheap enough to give a good test, and can let us know either way.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:37 PM   #10
mikenbarb

I think if her life was at stake she wouldnt worry about a bruised shoulder that much when she pulled the trigger. I would stick with full loads of #4 copperplated birdshot. You would be amazed at what birdshot does to things that are close to it. Practice with gallon jugs filled with sand to get the effect of what it does to things that are in its way. And they are alot cheaper to practice with than buckshot. Even try low brass and see what happens. I never met a person that ran into a load of 7 1/2s at close range to tell about it.
Old March 18, 2008, 05:43 PM   #11
evan9201

you and your wife would be better off with #4 buckshot, you can get reduced recoil loads of buckshot from several different companys.
Old March 18, 2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Sportdog

I Ordered Some

My grandson has been driving me crazy wanting to shoot my 12 gauge SxS and I thought that he would think those 1 3/4" shells were cool and the lower recoil might not dislocate his shoulder! LOL
Old March 19, 2008, 03:55 AM   #13
Maser

The few times I tried them shells in my Mossberg 500, I had no trouble at all. In fact it was fun to be able to put more shells in the magazine tube than it normally took with normal sized shells. Of course I haven't had enough shooting time with them to prove that they don't jam. I just haven't experienced any jams with them. I don't think I would trust them in an HD situation where a high probability of jamming may occur. Sorry, but my family and myself come WAY before a bruised shoulder.
Old March 19, 2008, 07:41 PM   #14
41magsnub

The answer is to try them and test for reliability and pattern.
Old March 19, 2008, 08:05 PM   #15
mikenbarb

I think you would have to try them in a HD scenario and shoot and pump the heck out of the thing to see if it jams or not. Remember that most of the time just the sound of a shotgun racking a round is enough to make a person think twice if its worth it. Its a guns way of saying "Go ahead, make my day"
Old March 20, 2008, 12:47 PM   #16
wnycollector

I would be interested to see how these pattern of of a short barreled SxS.
Old March 20, 2008, 01:10 PM   #17
scorpiusdeus

You might try these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=581296
Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets Box of 5

If you add some kind of recoil reducing stock like the Knoxx Spec Ops stock and than factor in the low recoils rounds, you have a deadly little combo.

http://www.knoxx.com/index2.html

If your wife is petite the Knoxx Specop Stock is also adjustable. My 11 year old daughter shoots my Remington 870 using this stock with this round:

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/p...8-pell-oo-buck

and she has no problems.

I hope that helps.