The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 2, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Can300magger

Marlin 336 30 30 Shoots bullets sideways

Help my roughly 30 year old gift from an old friend shoots the new hornady evolution ammo perfectly keyholed at 25 yards. I also tried a box of winchester 150 grain ammo and it key holes as well. riflling looks good , could it be the crown or what?????
Old October 2, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
rgitzlaff

Are you sure the caliber of the gun is .30-30 win and not 35 Remington or a larger caliber which it also comes chambered in? If your gun is in fact 35 Remington and you are trying .30-30 shells in it, that .30 cal bullet will not engage the rifling and will indeed tumble, and probably shoot quite low also since gas will be escaping out the sides of the bullet as it travels down the bore.
Old October 2, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
koolminx

Good point!

Wonder if he'll come back?
Old October 2, 2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I think it would rattle around to much to not be noticeable in a 35 Rem chamber but it might not be so noticeable in a 32 Win spcl. I agree though, if the bore looks good he should go back to step 1 and read the markings on the barrel before he tries to shoot anything else in it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 2, 2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Can300magger

I own 30 weapons i know its is a 30 30 yes I checked the fired brass its not a 35 rem or a 32 win special any other ideas
Old October 2, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
medicdave

Does it keyhole more traditional ammo? The leverevolution is a longer bullet, may not have a fast enough twist to stabalize it. May need to be recrowned ie a burr nick etc on the crown will do it also. Hard to tell with out looking at it.
Old October 2, 2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
I own 30 weapons i know its is a 30 30 yes I checked the fired brass its not a 35 rem or a 32 win special any other ideas
Yep I do, check your muzzle crown for irregularites or damage, inspect your barrel under a really strong light and look for any anomalies in the rifling, slug your barrel and measure the slug, I can't help but think you are oversized unless you are shooting a really bad batch of ammunition.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 2, 2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Yep I do, check your muzzle crown for irregularites or damage, inspect your barrel under a really strong light and look for any anomalies in the rifling, slug your barrel and measure the slug, I can't help but think you are oversized unless you are shooting a really bad batch of ammunition.

Wasn't worried about the ammo being oversized but shooting 30 cal in an over sized bore.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 3, 2009, 07:26 AM   #9
mapsjanhere

This is the second thread in a week with someone having this problem.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=378016
Looks like some 336 don't like that round.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Harry Bonar

keyholing?

Sir;
I've never heard of a 30-30 of any make keyholing. Surely there has been something done to this rifle!
Are you sure it hasn't been rebored, rifling good, the correct caliber? Something is very strange!
Harry B.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Can300magger

The rifle is extremely dirty I wonder if the microgroove rifling is full ??? It is soaking in a cleaner right now but the rifling looks good
Old October 5, 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Can300magger

I miked a case after being fired but it is very close to a winchester 150 grain factory load so I do not suspect that some one has rebored the bbl or tampered with it . I tried last night to clean the bore but the brush just kept bringing out blue dirty patches over and over .. I did try winchester 150 gr factory loads and they keyholed as well. My only question is can I tell by just looking if the muzzle is damaged
Old October 5, 2009, 11:57 AM   #13
koolminx

Damage that would tumble a round is going to definitely be visible.

If the patches come out dirty, go back to the oil or the WD or the CRC and wire brush the crap out of it until the oil starts leaking out clean, and not black.

THEN take the patches to it and finish cleaning. Then go shoot it again using off the shelf Winchester ammo, if they shoot good now you will be fine...

You could take it to a gunsmith for a once over with his experienced eye...
Old October 5, 2009, 12:46 PM   #14
shooter_from_show-me

You say blue patches. Do you mean bluegreen if so your bore is copper fouled. Get rid of all that and go try it again.

NRA Life Member
Old October 5, 2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Can300magger

I had no idea a bore could be that fouled that it would not properly spin the bullet and yes its bluish green. I usually keep my barrels clean but I received the marlin for free and the felow I received it from inherited it and has no idea on the history of the gun. I will clean the crap out of it tonight and do some shooting and let you guys know , thanks for the advice.
Old October 6, 2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Harry Bonar

Green patches

Sir;
It's a rather drastic treatment but you could go buy a stainles steel brush - thery will really take the crap out.
As long as you're getting anything out of that bore keep cleaning - JB bore cleaning compound is good! Hope you get it cleaned up but if you've got keyholing you've got lots of cleaning to do!
Harry B.
Old October 6, 2009, 07:55 PM   #17
jsflagstad

Yes, I would be interested to see how this turns out...

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old October 7, 2009, 04:06 PM   #18
Harry Bonar

keyholing

Sir;
I really think, if your rifle has micro-groove rifling that you'll get it fixed. Micro-groove would be sensitive to fouling and crud build up so you may really have to scrub it good.
I traded for a Remington 760 pump that had what looked like terrible! I used the stainless brush and it removed the slight fouling that over the years had just "grown." Also a M48 Mauser, beautiful in every other way had a terrible bore. Again the stainless brush cleaned it up, pitting and all and made a nice shooter out of it.
Harry B.
Old October 7, 2009, 06:18 PM   #19
plainsman456

Sounds like a job for jb bore paste.Good Luck
Old October 7, 2009, 06:47 PM   #20
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Micro-groove would be sensitive to fouling and crud build up so you may really have to scrub it good.
I can testify to that one, Micro-groove is pretty neat, unless someone shoots a bunch of hard cast lead and then some copper jacketed right behind it, then you might just have a heck of a cleanup job <sigh>. This is not hearsay, I had to clean up a c. 1966 microgrooved rifle that was all clogged up like this. It might as well have been a smoothbore when I started cleaning but after some soaking time and some elbow grease it cleaned up nicely and was shooting true again.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; October 7, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:14 AM   #21
Powderman

Please bear this in mind: micing the cases doesn't prove anything.

Slugging the bore does.

First, remove the lever and bolt from the rifle. This is done easily, and is necessary because you're going to be doing this from the breech.

Start with a bullet or ball made of soft lead. Get a Dewey coated rod of the proper model. If you're going to use a lead ball, get one that is .310 or so in diameter.

Clean your barrel with bore brush and copper solvent. Now, get a good, heavy oil (like 10W-40) and patch out the bore with a saturated patch.

Assemble your rod with a "pusher" tip. Now, select one ball, put some 10W-40 on it, and drop it in the chamber. Invert the rifle, muzzle down and tap it in gently with the end of the rod until it goes no further.

Place the end of the rod on the bore, and tap the handle with a rubber mallet--gently--until the ball--now a slug--comes out of the other end.

Tips: It helps if you have someone else to help by holding the rifle while you tap the rod. Also, have a soft towel or something similar to catch the ball when it drops from the muzzle.

Now, measure the slug at 2 to 3 points along its length. Your reading should be .308 or very close. If it is more, you have an oversized barrel.
Old October 16, 2009, 02:07 PM   #22
BruceM

Before you slug the bore and do any measuring of any kind, get the bore perfectly clean. If it is really fouled, use KG-12 to get most of the big chunks out followed by Kroil and then a more conventional bore cleaner. When all else fails, there is always the Outer's Foul-Out which will remove any fouling, copper or lead, by reverse electroplating. Do NOT use a stainless brush under any circumstances. After the bore is thoroughly cleaned, try conventional ammo to check for tumbling. It will only take a couple of shots to tell you what you need to know. If it still tumbles after the bore is clean, it's time to check bore diameter and possibly re-barrel. I suspect that the Micro-Groove rifling in the bore is totally fouled. I barrel crown damaged to the extent that it would make a bullet tumble would be readily noticeable and far less likely.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; October 16, 2009 at 03:21 PM.