The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 28, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
ffs1942

Sling use on M1

I want to shoot my M1 in "As Issued" matches. I got the cotton web sling, since that seems contemporary and better than the WW2 leather sling. I also know this sling well since we had it on M16's once upon a time.

Will a tight sling affect my POI?

What's the best way to use a sling in a service rifle match?

I was trained to loop one end around my bicep and tighten the buckle hear the muzzle, but that was with smallbore using a Springfield or Remington 40XB. The Army did not teach sling use with the M16.

I think the hasty sling seems a bit more stable, but since match shooters don't do that, there must be a reason.

I used a hasty sling in ARNG M16 matches, but these were combat style matches that involved rapid position changes. I also put minimum tension on the sling, since it would shift POI or broaden my grps. I deemed it a tradeoff though
Old March 28, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2
RickB

Isn't the issue web sling more of carrying strap, than a shooting aid? I have the M1907 leather sling on my M1 and '03, and a M16 sling on my shotgun, and the latter appears to be merely for "slinging" over the shoulder, rather than properly slinging for shooting.
I think the M1907 sling is still "the" sling for shooting.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

Try this
Disassemble the sling. Slide the J clip on the strap and through one half of the H buckle. Now slide on the Lock with the tab facing down, loop the strap through the D-Ring near the muzzle and back through the Lock. In use, create a loop using the sliding H buckle. Place that on the arm. Adjust for length with the Lock.
The M1 is a handfull in rapid fire. A tight position and tight sling will help control shot recovery. It will not change the POI.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 28, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
dahermit

During WWII, the M1 Garand was issued with a leather sling. Later, 1962 Fort Knox, the M1 I was issued, (serial number 1603418), had a web "carrying strap". When I entered Service Rifle competition, I found out the difference. The leather sling is an aid to target shooting. The web carrying strap is only used for carrying the rifle at, "Sling Arms", while marching...we shot "train fire" (silhouettes pop up at random distances), and were never taught to use a sling as in "known distance" target practice. Get an experienced competition shooter to show you how to get into the sling and how it is adjusted and used. You might luck-out and find some pictures or diagrams on-line to show and explain how it is done.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
BobCat45

There is a good explanation of how to rig the web sling for competition at http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm with pictures.