The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 20, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
RedBowTies88

M57 Tok and 9mm...

So, I have the opportunity to buy an M57 thats in good shape from a friend locally for $200 with 4 mags.

As you may have seen in my previous thread, my plan is to convert my Tok to 9mm.

The M57 was one of my last choices for this but due to price and availibility I'm now considering.

My main question is, how well will 9mm feed from the longer m57 magazine? I'll have to use them or cz52 mags as the standard tok mags are too short
Old January 20, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Scimmia

They work fine if you keep the rounds to the front of the magazine while loading them. If not, the last couple rounds like to jam. I just load the magazine, then bang it until I see all of the rounds have moved forward, expecially the last one. I've heard of people using chop sticks along the back of the magazine while loading to keep them all forward far enough.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
RedBowTies88

Good to know, thanks
Old January 20, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4
mhmiller62

I own an M57 and it's a fine pistol. Quite honestly why would you want to convert it to a 9mm? It sounds like you have to mess around with the location of the round in the mag just to keep it from not jamming. There are plenty of perfectly good 9x19 pistols around. I'm not trying to be snarky about this. Just wondering.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
gyvel

In the past I have used 9mm in Chinese 7.62 long mags and never had any feeding problems. But that's just in Chinese guns. Never tried any others.

Some Norinco 9mms came in with long mags that had fillers in the back and others had actual short mags with a filler in the mag well. If you do ever succeed in finding that 9mm barrel, look around and find some of the Norincos with the fillers in the mag if your Yugo mags don't work.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Scimmia

Quote:
own an M57 and it's a fine pistol. Quite honestly why would you want to convert it to a 9mm? It sounds like you have to mess around with the location of the round in the mag just to keep it from not jamming. There are plenty of perfectly good 9x19 pistols around. I'm not trying to be snarky about this. Just wondering.
Instead of asking why, how about asking why not? My 9x19 barrel cost me $40 and gives me the option to shoot another cartridge out of the M57. Not much of a down side and all it takes is hitting the mag a couple of times to line the rounds up.

I also go to a range that doesn't allow bottleneck pistol cartridges. Kind of dumb, but that's the rule. With a 9x19 barrel, I can shoot the M57 there.

I actually ordered two 9mm barrels when I bought mine and converted one to 9x23 Win. That's a whole 'nother story, though.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

is there space between the follower/spring and the back of the mag body to put something in there to hold them forward semi-permidently?
Old January 21, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8
mhmiller62

Scimmia,

I didn't realise the 9mm barrels were so cheap. Now I'm kinda interested in a conversion too.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Scimmia

Quote:
is there space between the follower/spring and the back of the mag body to put something in there to hold them forward semi-permidently?
Not as far as I can see. Both the follower and spring take up the whole space of the mag. You could cut the follower, but I'm not sure what you could do about the spring.

Quote:
I didn't realise the 9mm barrels were so cheap. Now I'm kinda interested in a conversion too.
Unfortunatly as RedBowTies88 is coming across, they're not easy to find anymore. I bought mine from Numerich, but they seem to be out. For me, the 9x19 was kind of a bonus, my real goal was the 9x23 Win barrel. 147 gr bullet at 1400+ FPS anyone?
Old January 21, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
RedBowTies88

I'll have to see how the internal mag spacers worked on the early factory 9mm's. perhapps they used a different spring.

But yea 9x23 sounds awesome.

The chassis has no problem dealing with that kind of power?

BTW, if i do come across any barrels I'll be sure to post up here where to find them.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Scimmia

Quote:
But yea 9x23 sounds awesome.

The chassis has no problem dealing with that kind of power?
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

For the amount I run though it, I'm not too worried. It's isn't a round I'm running every week, or every month for that matter. I'm sure constant use would beat the hell out of it eventually, but it doesn't seem to be enough to cause a catastrophic failure. I was running 10.9 gr of Power Pistol under a 147 gr lead TCFP, Clark a.k.a "Clark the Destroyer" ran up to 16 gr of Power Pistol under a 158 gr lead RN bullet and didn't blow anything up. I kind of wish he'd chronoed that load, as I found mine to be really inconsistant with the compressed Power Pistol load. I have some HS6 loads ready for testing, but haven't had a chance.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:34 AM   #12
RedBowTies88

Thats awesome
Old January 23, 2012, 12:01 AM   #13
leadcounsel

If you want a 9x19, there are plenty of good options, tried and true.

Get an M57 - the 7.62 round is awesome and cheap!
Old January 23, 2012, 12:04 AM   #14
RedBowTies88

7.62 isnt really any cheaper then 9mm any more. at least not by much. and I'm sure in the future it will only grow mor expensive,
Old January 23, 2012, 08:22 AM   #15
tobnpr

This thread caught my eye...

First, the 7.62 round isn't dirt cheap like it used to be, now about the same as the 9mm Luger...

Second, the 7.62 ammo is corrosive...

Third, and the reason for my interest- is that the indoor range we shoot at will not allow steel cased bullets. The milsurp ammo is a no-go. So, 9x19 FMJ's would allow us to shoot the pistol a lot more, instead of only when we go to the rifle range.

Can someone post a link or lead me to some info online on how to do this?

Thanks!
Old January 23, 2012, 08:33 AM   #16
RedBowTies88

If you're familiar with how to take down a tokarev it's as easy as swapping the barrel out for a 9mm one and replacing the barrel bushing with a 9mm one. It's literally a 5 minute job
Old January 24, 2012, 08:25 AM   #17
tobnpr

From what I've read, I need the Norinco 213 9mm barrel, can't find one for sale.
Is there another 9mm barrel that will drop in without modifications?
Old January 24, 2012, 08:46 AM   #18
RedBowTies88

any 9mm barrel designed for a tok. Numrich had 3-4 different flavors but they're all sold out and i cant get them to answer the phone or emaill
Old February 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #19
Webleymkv

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a gun already chambered in 9mm? The Tokarev is a neat gun for sure, but to my mind half of what makes it so neat is the 7.62x25 cartridge.
Old February 5, 2012, 01:02 PM   #20
tobnpr

For me, it's so my son can have some more trigger time with it at the local indoor pistol range. Only non-ferrous bullets there.
We don't have much time for pistol shooting when we go to the rifle range.

I'm considering buying some brass for it and handloading so he can use it there.
Old February 5, 2012, 06:29 PM   #21
RedBowTies88

I love the 7.62x25 cartridge. I just want more flexibility and cheaper ammo to mess around with