The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 1999, 07:43 PM   #1
Jffal

Just saw the Y2k movie, The Trigger Effect. Valuable as documentary on how NOT to act in a crisis, it included one part where a 12 gauge pump shotgun and box of shells are fished out from the bottom of a pool where they spent the night. Some of the rounds can be fired, a number will not discharge.

How water resistent is contemporary factory scattergun ammunition?
Jeff
Old January 1, 2000, 11:26 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Never believe Hollywood....

A bit more than that, Jeff. For a test, I soaked maybe a dozen divers rounds overnight once and all of them shot.As I recall, they ranged from paper case 16 ga goose loads to Federal Field to Winchester 00 in 12 ga.

Might have been some AA trap loads in there too.

This is not to mean that one can store his/her ammo in the pool, it means that casual wetting isn't immediately destructive.
Old January 2, 2000, 12:09 AM   #3
pete80

Is that movie out on video or was it a made for t.v. film?
Old January 2, 2000, 02:17 AM   #4
larry_minn

Don't bother with Trigger Effect "unless you have nothing better to do."
Planting guns on BGs, wife who flirts with constuction worker, "gets off on danger" Nice body but no brains. No planning and didn't seem to learn from mistakes.
Brass case reloads "mine" have gone thru washer still work fine.
Old January 7, 2000, 02:13 PM   #5
CrociJA

I have some #4 2 3/4" "Tactical" loads from Remington. I usually store eight to ten rounds in the outer case of my Mossberg's carry bag. Than one day while I was pulling out the rounds, I noticed some styrofoam "beading" in the case. Apparently where the tip of the plastic shells were crimped, a few were left "open". I figured if these shells were immersed than they would probably fail to fire.
Quick fix: I took some hot wax and very carefully dripped it down onto the open area, "resealing" the gap. Just for giggles, I shot one...No problems.

Jon