The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

45Colt Rossi Circuit Judge

Has anyone done any reloading for the Rossi Circuit Judge in 45 Colt. I have some 250 grain hornady XTP's I would like to reload for this gun and I have Unique, AA#5, and 2400 powder. I have 5 reloading books and none of them talk about this firearm specifically. Should I use Pistol data or Rifle data? Or should I use data for the thompson contendor? I know the safe thing to do is start with standard load data and work up. Just want to know if anyone has loaded for this firearm. Thanks.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Newton24b

do not use ruger only / thompson center only dating.

only use standard SAAMI 45 colt data. yes i know, you do want to keep your body parts attached to your body right?
Old April 11, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
ricklaut

I've loaded some softball rounds for a Circuit Judge. Definitely (low) pistol rounds in my case - 8 grains of Unique under a 250gr cast boolit. Fun for plinking... Didn't chrony them, but I'd be surprised if they're going over 750 fps.

I'd definitely stick with pistol data.
Old April 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
pathdoc

One might reasonably ask the same question of the NEF/H&R .410/.45LC combo gun and other, similar firearms without being too far off-topic. Looking at the open breech, one can see that the chamber walls are quite thick, but the fact that this is also nominally a shotgun leads me to wonder.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Newton24b

those single shot break opens may have extremely thick for caliber chamber walls, but what kind of heat treating did they get? if the gun is only proofed/designed to take the industry average of 125-150% burst strength of the standard saami 45 colt or .410 shotshell, then anything in the ruger only section, even with minimum loading data will turn it into shrapnel.

not to be stupid, assinine or even cruel, if you want more then average level saami 45 colt go to a company called Corbon and ask what 45 colt ammunition they sell that they say is ok in the 45 colt judge handgun.

otherwise follow the reloading book and leave 45 ruger/tc for the guns made by ruger and tc
Old April 12, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
One might reasonably ask the same question of the NEF/H&R .410/.45LC combo gun and other, similar firearms without being too far off-topic. Looking at the open breech, one can see that the chamber walls are quite thick, but the fact that this is also nominally a shotgun leads me to wonder.
One what?

The chamber has little to do with the ability to handle the pressure. In a break open single shot, the locking mechanism is the most important item. The ability of the barrel lock and release to hold it closed is the limiting factor. A phone call or email would get you the answer as to what pressures it's rated at.

Don't expect the Rossi or any other 45/.410 combo gun to be accurate when shooting 45 colt ammo. The cylinder of the Rossi is able to take the 3" .410 shell. That means the 45 colt has an enormously long freebore,(smooth unrifeled area), before it encounters the throat and the beginning of the rifling. This means it is sliding, and accelerating. It hits the rifling going far too fast, stripping the rifling, maybe not spinning the bullet at all. The best idea is to limit the velocity and use the fastest powder you can find.

The 45/.410 is a compromise gun. It does neither too well, but it does both well enough to be useful.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 12, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
pathdoc

but what kind of heat treating did they get? if the gun is only proofed/designed to take the industry average of 125-150% burst strength of the standard saami 45 colt or .410 shotshell, then anything in the ruger only section, even with minimum loading data will turn it into shrapnel.

If not immediately, then sooner or later, yes. That's exactly what I wondered, and this is exactly why I asked. Am considering giving H&R a call and seeing what their technical people say.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Newton24b

and the manufacturer told you absolutely squat other then to "only use the cartridge listed on the barrel"
Old April 14, 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
and the manufacturer told you absolutely squat other then to "only use the cartridge listed on the barrel"
I don't know to what you're referring, but, if it's in reference to H&R, then I can tell you they WILL give you an answer. At least they did for me.

In my case, I wondered about what pressure levels I could run my then new NEF(H&R) 45/70 buffalo classic at. You, (of course you know), have loading data in most manuals listed for 1, trapdoor springfield, 2, leverguns like the marlin, and 3, Ruger single shots and mauser conversions. The nice lady I got ahold of said levergun pressure/loading levels would work fine in the Buff. Problem is, the top loads with heavy bullets is just plain painful!

As far as Rossi goes, I don't know if they can/would give info like I got from NEF.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 19, 2013, 05:08 PM   #10
pathdoc

Rang H&R and got their answer, and they did indeed tell me to (and I paraphrase here) "stick to .45 Colt handgun data and stay away from T/C and Ruger loads."