The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 12, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Clevinger

Is they Winchester Super Grade worth the extra money?

I can't find a super grade anywhere right now, but the more I study them online the more I question what they hold over the sporter models except for more gloss/polish. I'm not sure that's worth the extra wait or $400.

Is the extra money worth it for the super grade or should I just get the sporter? Will be using it to hunt whitetail deer.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
jmr40

That is entirely personal. For my money and uses I like the EW, FWT then Sporter. The Supergrade won't kill anything any deader, but will be worth more down the road and your grandkids will probably appreciate it more than the others.

For me, no, but there is no wrong answer here. If it is worth it to you then wait for what you want.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevinger

the more I study them online the more I question what they hold over the sporter models except for more gloss/polish.

FWIW, M70 Supergrades have aslo historically had different stocks of a higher/better grade wood, with a cheekpiece & contrasting FE tip, which made it worth it to ME - YMMV.

Old November 12, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Scorch

It is essentially the same rifle as any other M70, but much nicer wood and checkering. Is it worth it? I don't know. I think so, I really like pretty wood, but it's pretty subjective. It will have a little bit extra bragging rights, but it is still just a Model 70,
Old November 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
az_imuth

Most of my rifles are military surplus or just standard, ordinary rifles. I wanted one rifle that had nice wood and blued steel, so the extra cost of the super grade was worth it to me. While I don't regret that decision at all, I'm not sure I would have done it at today's prices. Looks like the model I purchased has gone up 150-200 since I bought it in 2010.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
WildBill45

Pride of ownership is the choice here, and it will last a lifetime!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 13, 2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Flakbait

How long to you expect that rifle to last?

Your lifetime...perhaps beyond to your children's lifetime...

Guns can be wonderful investments and heirlooms or common disposable tools.

If you plan to treat it like a leaf blower, I don't see the point in the spending the extra cash on fancy wood...if fact, get the ugly black plastic stock and save even more money.

If you want to plan to keep if for several decades, that is only a few bucks extra amortized over years for something a lot prettier that will encourage you to take better care of it.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
dubya450

I bought one in 300 mag about a year ago (new FN made) and the wood was decent and it was a very nice rifle but for $1200 the thing that really bothered me was the black PLASTIC fore end cap. For that kind of money you'd think a rifle called super anything would have a piece of ebony instead of plastic. Comparably priced Kimbers have ebony tips, weatherby and Browning use rosewood tips. Ect. Not a big deal to most people but for some reason it really bothered me. To answer your question, no i dont think the SG is worth the money over a sporter or FW.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Slamfire

People love shiny things and will pay more the reflection.

As a target shooter I see extremes. Some rifles are beat to hell, spray painted barrel to save money by not paying for bluing, dented stocks, or covered all over with glue. Such as this M1a.:

Other target shooters, their rifles are perfect, not a dent or scratch on anything.

While appearance matters to many, to all, group size is the most important and no one shoots a pretty rifle that goes not group them in the middle.

So what is important to you, are you willing to pay more for the shine, assuming it shoots as well as a non reflective rifle?
Old November 17, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Clevinger

I ordered a Winchester 30-06 Super Grade Model 70 today for $1157.

They are beautiful guns, and I actually thought the extra weight would be nice from a recoil standpoint.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
RC20

If you need to take recoil then you are better off installing a limb saver or equivalent.

Its a true dilemma and keep in mind that at some point a gun can wind up being more valuable as a collector than a hunter.

So, do you want to pass on a gun they will always be able to take hunting or one that should stay at home? Tough call.

I fall more on the side of usable, but that me. There is no right or wrong answer as the basic barrel and receiver are the same and the add ons don't change the accuracy of usability (nor detract usability usually).
Old November 17, 2012, 10:25 PM   #12
joshobrien77

My 2011 M70 SG in .270 set me back $1500 with my VX 3 on top. It shoots am a king out past 500yds. I bought this as my long range hunter and as the gun to pass to my oldest (7yrs old) many moons from now.

Its I'd very pretty. The barrel is like a black mirror. That said I will hunt it hard while I have it and any marks it gains will be reminders to my boys that this fine gun is a tool. Not a toy or a work of art.

All that said any future gun will most likely be standard grade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old November 18, 2012, 08:52 AM   #13
kilotanker22

I love the Winchester's. Especially the super grades. And where I come from you can get a super grade for 1050 or around 1125 for magnums. The feather weight is 800 and the walnut is not that impressive. I think the super grade is worth it. But me I would be afraid to mar it up.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:56 PM   #14
gm4spd

Yes,here is a Supergrade in 220 Swift from 1956---I wish I still had it!

Pete