The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
fireroad

Standard countour bbl on a mountain rifle?

I have a Rem 700 mountain rifle (wood stock) in 280 rem with the original 22 in pencil bbl. The bbl is still good, but heats up so darn fast. I would like to replace it with a 24" standard contour bbl (fluted maybe). My question is can this be done...is there enough wood in the forearm it open up the channel to fit the bbl?

What about a bbl brand recommendation? This will be a hunting rifle out to 600 yds, not looking for top of the line here ... just a step up from factory. Looking at an ER Shaw bbl...

Either the...
Contour No. 1
Lightweight Sporter 24" 1.140" 2" 2" .850" .550" 2 lbs. 11oz.

Contour No. 1 1/2
Magnum Sporter 24" 1.150" 2.250" 2.250" .850" .600" 3 lbs. 2oz.
Old September 15, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

rifle

Sir;
I have the same rifle and it shoots 1/2" groups at 100!
The 280 (or 7mm remington express) is no 600 yard cartridge - in my opinion no shots should ever be taken at unwounded game farther than half that distance, or less! 600 yards, if actually measured, is a looong way! A flock of circuis tents might be a good target at that range but not a game animal. Few hunters realize this, or ever consult ballistic charts to realize that the velocity at extended ranges rival that of a 22 long rifle at the muzzle!
For hunting that Remington is a fine rifle as is the 280 round - I'd stick to it - let your barrel cool between shots!
Harry B.
Old September 15, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
fireroad

Harry B- I as well often achieve sub 1/2 MOA groups with this rifle and my handloads. I will agree with you that the 280 rem is second only to the 280 AI as the finest all-around North America big game cartridge.

I will have to politely disagree however that the 280 rem is an unethical 600 yard gun, especially in the hands of an experienced and well practiced shooter from a bipod who dials for elevation. It is a very appropriate round for thin skinned game such as proghorn antelope, which here in the desert southwest shots average 450 yards due to lack of cover. I'm not advocating medium to long range shots, I'm just explaining the reality of hunting antelope in my neck of the world.

Running my load over a chrono and consulting several ballistic tables...

Shooting a 160 Nosler Accubond behind 53 gr of RL22 with a muzzle velocity of 2805 and zeroed in at 200 yards (at my temp, elev, etc) will have a bullet drop of 73 inches (11.6 MOA) and a terminal velocity a hair over 2000 fps (wind drift 10 inches). Nosler recommends a min TV of 1800 fps for proper expansion. Yes, I have practiced this shot, and will practice it many more times on steel targets at varying conditions until I am confident it can be done.