The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 3, 2005, 09:32 AM   #1
m-g willy

Pre 64 Model 94 Or Not?

What makes the pre 64 winchester 94's better than the ones made after 1964? And did Winchester ever up the quality of the 94 anytime after 1964?-- THANKS FOR ANY INFO--Willy
Old April 3, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Person of Interest

I am told that they went with a different steel in the frames and the bluing didn't wear very well. Most post-64 94s do seem to lose their finish rapidly. There were also some manufacturing cost cutting in the internal parts (the lever ststem) and a gunsmith tells me they are not as sturdy. Not really huge changes and I would use a newer M94 without hesitation but enough to make a lot of oldtimers prefer the pre-1964 guns. I think the changes were made at around serial 2,700,000 if I recal right.

Of course, it was the Model 70 that got the biggest change in 1964. The pre-64 M70s were true Mausers with dual locking lugs and controlled feeding whereas the post 64 guns were push feed like the Remington 700.
Old April 3, 2005, 07:56 PM   #3
m-g willy

Thanks for the info --Willy
Old April 9, 2005, 02:54 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

many differences, always look for the little screw in the lever in front of the trigger guard. lots of hand fitting and polishing went out when they went to this wretched pos called the post 64 94.

cast parts, cast receivers, machine inletted stocks no preblue mating of stock and action for final sand, so some have wood that overlaps the steel, some have steel standing proud.

The new ones with the returned screw are pretty darn good shooters on the most part, and the three single best pieces of wood I have seen on rifles lately have been 94 cowboy wood, simply XXXXgrade, or pidgeon grade, so go look