The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2013, 08:40 AM   #26
Walt Sherrill

I've had a P-11, a P3AT, two Sub2000s (9mm and .40), and now have a PF9.

I've also had a Kahr P8 and still have a Kahr CM9.

Never had a problem with any Kel-Tec product, and while I think the CM9 may be an easier-shooting gun than the PF9, I hesitate to give up the PF9 and use the CM9. (I really liked the Kahr P8, but someone made me an offer that I really couldn't refuse -- I made a significant profit on a gun bought used!!)

I also had a Ruger LCP, which seemed like a "pretty" P3AT, and the slightly larger trigger-guard of the LCP made it more pleasant to shoot -- as the P3AT hit my trigger finger in recoil.

None of the Kel-Tecs (except the Sub2000 in 9mm) are what I'd call "pleasant" to shoot. I've found that the KTADDONS grip material does make them almost pleasant, and works with the LCP and LC9, too.

One of my shooting buddies bought a P3AT and called it the biggest piece of crap he ever owned. Said it wouldn't hit the broad side of the barn, and sold it quickly. I let him try mine, and he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it, either. I then took it and shot about a 3" group at 25 feet, and he shut up. This guy is a better shot than I am with most guns, but the Kel-Tec P3AT just didn't work for him. I suspect that some folks just have that sort of problem with Kel-Tec products.
Old August 10, 2013, 10:12 AM   #27
trlhrv

Kel Tec Service

Bought a new PF-9 in early July. It will not extract a spent shell.(It only comes out 1/3 and hangs up in the breech). After fooling with the extractor and cycling unfired rounds manually just fine I decided to send it back. Kel Tec makes it clear the owner pays shipping. As with some of the previous comments here, no human at Kel Tec was reachable. I shipped it ($60) and they've had it a week. Maybe by Christmas I'll get it back. I should have spent the extra bucks and stuck with Kahr. By the way,my best friend bought a new PF9 at the same show and hasn't had any problems.
Old August 11, 2013, 07:22 AM   #28
kahrguy

terry , KT will fix it and do right by you. Just know that with todays production as high as it is you pay some serious money for a very nice firearm and get a **** in return. You going to dump a 2000 dollar handgun too if it had troubles. Hang in there. The only handgun I have shot that gave me issues from round one was a KT p-11. Bought for a son-in-law that I would break in for him. Sent it back, fixed quickly with mostly new parts. Fired 500 rounds thru it trouble free and is carried 5 years later with no problems and many thousands of rounds. They do have very good CS once you get something to them. Free shipping label right. I also carried a pf-9 for 2 years .
Old August 18, 2013, 10:11 AM   #29
trlhrv

Return from warranty service

Got the PF9 back this week.(sooner than expected) Ran 60 rounds through it with no problems. They had replaced the entire slide and polished the feed ramp. I would consider carrying it in a pinch but my Kahr PM9 handles the recoil sooooo much better and is totally reliable. I'll submit a request to Kel Tec for reimbursement of the shipping charges.