The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 27, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Gary Slider

West Virginia/New Hampshire Sign Agreement . . . Pennsylvania Court Ruling

West Virginia and New Hampshire have signed a reciprocity agreement. This makes 28 states that West Virginia will honor and 23 who New Hampshire will honor. On a side note I live in West Virginia and talk to the person in Charleston who is responsible for obtaining agreements. With West Virginia’s new law they can sign with anyone who will sign with them. I talked to him about 3 weeks ago and ask why they haven’t talked to New Hampshire yet. He didn’t know why but would check on it. I have to smile because I believe I played a part in getting this agreement signed. Sometimes they just need to have some information and things happen. I believe I may have hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back on this. HA HA. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ing/plupr.html

A Pennsylvania Court has ruled that a resident of Pennsylvania must have a “Valid Pennsylvania Permit/License” to carry in Pennsylvania. Residents can’t carry on a non resident permit/license that Pennsylvania honors anymore. A very small number of Pennsylvania residents were doing this. The PA AG stated that 4,000 PA residents had FL permits implying that all of them were carrying on a FL permit in PA. The vast majority just picked up a FL Permit to have along with their PA Permit for carry in more states. The Pennsylvania AG has been amending reciprocity agreements with the wording that only that states “Resident Permit” is valid in Pennsylvania. You can see the Court Decision here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...vePAPermit.pdf

CCRKBA – Someone saw my previous post and had a contact within CCRKBA. (What I was hoping for.) We emailed back and forth and CCRKBA has removed their references on their chart to Handgunlaw.us. I thanked them. Their new listing is dated October 25, 2013 now. http://www.ccrkba.org/?page_id=1217 Still no reply from the NRA/ILA.

Starting around Oct 31 www.handgunlaw.us may be offline for brief periods. Our server is moving everything to a new and more powerful server. That is their words. So if you have trouble reaching the site around that date you will know why.

Changes in WV/NH reciprocity as listed above plus other updates will be added to www.handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
press1280

Hey Gary, will WV get reciprocity with Maine and Minnesota? How about the other states that recognize our permits, but we don't currently recognize theirs?
Old October 28, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Gary Slider

Press1280,

Talking to my contact in WV I was told that WV just needs a letter from the GOVERNOR and not just the issuing agency saying that states honors WV and WV will honor them. He told me the problem is that it has to come from the Governor and no Governor issues a states permit/license. He said that was the biggest hangup.

As for honoring other states some of them especially Minnesota requires certain things before they will honor a state. I am not sure if WV meets those requirements. Maine has only signed with 8 other states and I am not sure what their criteria is. You can get a Maine Non Resident by Mail if you have to get legal in Maine. See "Non Resident Permits" in the left column at www.handgunlaw.us for more info on obtaining a Maine Non-Resident.

My contact told me WV sent out letters to everyone asking about reciprocity but after mentioning NH to them they signed in 3 weeks. They may have already had that in the works when I ask. I don't really know.

Getting the letter signed by the Governor of the state is the big hangup. We will just have to wait and see. But at least WV is open to honoring more states.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old October 28, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There is much discussion about this new PA ruling on the PAFOA discussion forum. Several participants are lawyers, and they all seem to agree that the decision was a kludge of a hatchet job, and completely at variance with what PA state law actually says and requires. Nonetheless, it's there and it stands unless appealed and reversed.

One problem is that, apparently, the attorney handling the case for the defendant was less than proficient in firearms law -- or even typing (he was admonished by the court for not having submitted his brief in the prescribed format ). Most of the members of PAFOA are hoping he'll appeal, but only if he hires a better attorney.