The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
BuckRub

Glock owners- gen 4

About a year ago I bought a Glock model 22. Love this gun!!! But every once in a while about every 60 or 70 rounds I'll get a brass in the face. Contacted Glock and they sent me a updated recoil spring, didn't help. Contacted them and they said to send my gun to them and they put a new ejector in or I could take the gun to a Glock armorer and they'd install one for free. It wasn't worth sending my gun to them for my 30 bucks and I called everywhere around here and no armorers. But yesterday I called Glock again and told him how much of a inconvenience this was since I take my gun all the way down for cleaning and this is my duty gun. Said it was their policy not to send ejector. Well today I found an armorer about 100 miles away and told them my problem, they said they'd stick two in the mail for me right away at no charge and it is stupid. So finally not Glock but nice to know there's still people who will still help others out there when its a recall. Should have them by Friday hopefully. I shoot this gun almost every couple of days. Best gun ever for me.

Had to send in a S&W pistol back one time and they sent me a shipping label and box overnight and gun made it to them next night. They fixed my gun and sent it back in about 3 days and no charge for nothing. Way to do business. If its a recall or not working properly you'd expect gun manufacturer to pay shipping and everything else. Only problem with Glock is asking people to pay shipping back to them . Hats off to S&W.

Last edited by BuckRub; March 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
tahunua001

sadly stories like yours involving glock are becoming more and more common. now the erratic ejection patterns are a problem with the generation 3 glocks as well. glock customer service is apparently getting tired of dealing with all the 'perfection' hitting the shelves and just don't seem to care anymore.

Glock just isn't the gold standard anymore.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Will Beararms

Not up to the gold standard? This is hilarious. I am no Glock-aid drinker but I advise you to google the issues that others are having with M & P's or the problems some departments had with PX 4's or the issues some agencies had with Sig's.

Yes Glock has had issues. Yes they make you pay freight. Send a Gen 2 in for work and tell me what will happen. I will tell you what happen, they will repair the pistol and then rebuild it with a new frame at no extra charge.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:52 AM   #4
BuckRub

My biggest complaint is having to pay anything out of my pocket. If it ain't right, they should pay until its right. Yes everyone has their problems , they just got greedy and subs too many parts out to try to sell more guns. Everyone does that. It'll be fixed. Still my favorite gun ever. S&W just has warranty right.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Oh buddy...I had a Glock gen4 19. LOVED the gun. Reliably, accurate, felt amazing...brass to the face every mag....new extractor & new ejector. What's supposed to "fix" it...didn't for me. Sold it and bought a gen3. That's my experience. I have had 11 Glocks or so. All gen3's and gen2's. Never had an issue with any of them.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
Not up to the gold standard? This is hilarious. I am no Glock-aid drinker but I advise you to google the issues that others are having with M & P's or the problems some departments had with PX 4's or the issues some agencies had with Sig's.

Yes Glock has had issues. Yes they make you pay freight. Send a Gen 2 in for work and tell me what will happen. I will tell you what happen, they will repair the pistol and then rebuild it with a new frame at no extra charge.
I haven't heard of any of those issues you refer to and I'm really too lazy to spend my day on google attempting to find problems based on vague accusations. perhaps you could be a little more specific.

police depts having problems with their carry weapons? how bout Portland PD scrapping their glocks because of 2 separate KaBOOMS?
indiana state police having to send 50 guns back because they were not functioning properly?
how about another PD in florida scrapping glock after two of their glocks also KaBOOMed, wounding both a cadet and instructor?

and ALL of those misshaps predate the introduction of Generation 4, recalls and the chronic problem of throwing brass straight back into shooters faces. though many might not consider this more than an annoyance, I personally thing for a duty gun you shouldn't have to argue over the phone and then pay shipping to have a problem fixed that shouldn't be there in the first place. for the $550 I'd spend on the glock and then $25-50(depending on if they charge shipping both ways) I could buy a Ruger SR series pistol, and slap on trijicon night sights, buy a premium holster, good cleaning setup and a hundred rounds to get myself started...
I'd rather just get the Ruger.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Send a Gen 2 in for work and tell me what will happen. I will tell you what happen, they will repair the pistol and then rebuild it with a new frame at no extra charge.
Yup..Follow my post on my Gen2 (Now a Gen3) Glock 19.

Papa tahunua001! lol come on now man...when they own a little less than 70% (I think..might be less than 60% now) of the LE market on handguns, they're bound to be more stories on them.

Let's all tone down a notch!
Old March 27, 2013, 11:31 AM   #8
tahunua001

admittedly I am a bit biased against glock, however when a new thread crops up at least once a week with a new Glock owner having the exact same problem and customer service responding the exact same way it starts to paint a picture of just how many of these guns really have problems. I point those out and then the situation degrades from there.

sorry if I highjacked the thread, but nobody can deny that Glock has been failing to live up to their reputation as of late.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:46 AM   #9
Will Beararms

My perspective is different. I guided duck hunters for 7 years. Firearms break. It's not unusual. I respect your disdain for Glocks. I can relate. I feel the same way about Kahrs but there are those here that have great luck with them.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:50 AM   #10
Will Beararms

Hey there is a guy who goes by Beanie Bean on Glock Talk out of Austin that's an Armorer. There is a guy that is at the gun shows in Dallas that's an Armorer. I know one in Greenville, TX and there will be one at the GSSF Shoot this year in Carrollton.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:10 AM   #11
sigxder

Glock paid for my GEN4 (s) every time they went back. If your not getting satisfaction from who you are speaking to climb the ladder. They will pay shipping.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:28 AM   #12
BuckRub

It's a shame when you gotta argue up the ladder to get them to pay. Unlike Smith. No I don't want to send my gun off if I don't have to. My new ejector should be here Monday now since Friday is a holiday. But even having to find an armorer and getting them to send my part to me was bad enough when all this is a recall part. O well hope this works because I love this gun too much.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:51 AM   #13
rodfac

Hmmm....
got the part, no charge....
company offered to fix it, no charge....
others have had company pay for shipping if you ask one level up the customer service chain, no charge..
was it perfect out of the box, nope...
But at least you didn't pay $1200 for an over-hyped-Kimber that "needs 200 rounds through it 'cause it's so "tightly fitted".
...I don't see a problem here. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Swampman1

300 rounds so far in my Gen 4 never happened.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Mr Budha

Glad you found some good armorers around you.

Fortunately my gen 4 19 has been perfect. Shot 200 rounds a couple weeks ago and I actually remember thinking that the ejection was working perfectly because the rounds were flying into the little shell box on the wall to my right.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:31 AM   #16
voyager4520

My Gen3 G27 ejected erratically though never into my face. I installed a 28926 ejector into its Gen3 trigger housing and replaced the extractor and that fixed it.

Since yours is a Gen4 and you should be receiving a Gen4 .40 trigger housing that contains the 28926 ejector, all you should have to do is swap trigger housings. If erratic ejection continues after the new ejector, you may also need a replacement extractor. Glock's latest extractors have widely varying specs and you may end up needing a replacement.

Here's some detail strip info if you've never done it before, you'll need a 3/32 inch punch such as the Glock Armorer's Tool.

HD Full Detail Strip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY

Make sure when you reassemble the frame, that the locking block pin is in the frame before you install the slide stop. This will ensure that the slide stop spring goes to its correct position, under the locking block pin, to give the slide stop spring its tension. If you install the locking block pin after installing the slide stop, you may damage the slide stop spring and the spring will not be in the correct position, resulting in the slide locking back with ammo still in the magazine.

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

If all you get is the ejector you'll need to remove the Gen4 trigger housing from your frame and pull the 1882 ejector out of it with a pair of pliers, then slide the 28926 ejector into it and reinstall the trigger housing into the frame. When I did it I wrapped the teeth of the pliers in masking tape so the ejectors wouldn't get gouged or scratched. You must remove the trigger housing from the frame before swapping ejectors, part of the frame covers the bottom of the ejector and you may damage the frame if you try to swap ejectors while the housing is still in the frame. Here's a picture showing how the ejector slides out of the housing:

Last edited by voyager4520; April 1, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:37 AM   #17
RBid

tahuna,

To be fair, Portland PD switched those Glocks for... Glocks. There were two kabooms with G21s, so they traded out their G21s for more 9mms. I think that was 6-8 years ago. There was a bit of chatter last year that S&W was in the mix as a potential replacement, but they weren't impressed, and stayed with Glock. Every department I know of in the Portland metro area carries Glocks.

I do have to acknowledge that I believe they're all still carrying Gen 3.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Dead

At least one place has the ruger sr pistol in .40 for $479...

I never had brass in the fast from anything I was shooting, but from a person shooting nearby sure enough :/
Old April 1, 2013, 12:07 PM   #19
JC57

Never had any problems with my two Gen 4s. Models 22 and 26. My only interaction with their CS was when they shipped me a new recoil sping for free for the 22 when they had that recall. I didn't have a problem with the original spring either. Maybe I just got lucky. Sorry to hear about your issues.
Old April 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #20
Nanuk

To blame the manufacturer because a cop blew up his gun is like blaming Ford because a cop blew up the engine. I do not have the details, but I know for a fact that a lot of cops do not care for their gear and the abuse it daily, god only know what could have caused the Kabooms without a detailed report.

Brass to the face, how about brass down your collar from the guy next to you.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #21
tahunua001

Quote:
To blame the manufacturer because a cop blew up his gun is like blaming Ford because a cop blew up the engine. I do not have the details, but I know for a fact that a lot of cops do not care for their gear and the abuse it daily, god only know what could have caused the Kabooms without a detailed report.
all of the listed Kabooms were instructors pieces, guns that are fully cared for by dept armorers and used for training purposes. no reloads were ever used and no modifications were made... in that case I would totally blame ford for the engine blowing up

Quote:
Brass to the face, how about brass down your collar from the guy next to you.
I'd rather get brass burns occasionally from someone elses gun functioning properly than brass burns regularly from my gun malfunctioning...
Old April 1, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Nanuk

Quote:
I'd rather get brass burns occasionally from someone elses gun functioning properly than brass burns regularly from my gun malfunctioning...
If the brass is ejecting and a new round is feeding it is not malfunctioning. If you want a pretty pile of brass at 4 O'clock carry a tuned 1911 if you want a modern fighting gun carry a Glock.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 1, 2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Wreck-n-Crew

My experience with customer service is that you have to depend on an idiot who knows nothing quite often these days and they misrepresent the company.

This particular Glock has issues with brass in the face. My friend took his back where he bought it and they fixed it. Gun works flawless.

I had a new customer added to my list because a competitor (who is the big boys around here) failed to do something right and then when he called he talked to a secretary that should have passed it to someone else, but thought she could handle it.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If the brass is ejecting and a new round is feeding it is not malfunctioning. If you want a pretty pile of brass at 4 O'clock carry a tuned 1911 if you want a modern fighting gun carry a Glock.

I couldn't agree with this more.

I woke up not too long ago. My 1911's are range guns.
Old April 1, 2013, 04:03 PM   #25
ftttu

My G23 gen 4 gave me brass to the face for about the first 300 rounds, but so far, I haven't had the problem for the following 200 rounds.