The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
creekrat72

cva optima v2

I am looking into a black powder rifle. I have owned one before but it was a cheap knockoff that my dad bought me for Christmas. I was looking I to the CVA optima because it seems like a lot of gun for the money. As I have about a $350 budget. Does anyone own one? Have any experience with one? Or even the CVA wolf?

Thank you, Jake.
Old November 28, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Ruger480

I have the optima and I love it. So much so that I almost bought another one. I like ergonomics of this gun compared to competitors models. As far as accuracy, its hard to go wrong with any of the new in-lines but for the money...the CVA is hard to beat. I topped mine with a T/C muzzy scope.

I think you'll be very happy with it should you pull the trigger and get one!
Old November 28, 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
creekrat72

Thank you for the info on the optima. Some say they have had misfire issues out of them(mostly etc users) have you had any trouble out of hours like that?
Old November 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
freedom475

I have the Optima pistol version and it is a great gun. It is topped with a UltradDot scope and have been shooting Forrester Sabot's with 200g CuttingEdgeBullets in it or Hornady SXT's

It will put 5 shots into 3 inches at 100yrds from field positions when loaded with 100gr (volume) of BLackhorn 209.

Never had any igniton issues and I don't even use the special BH209 breech plug.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old November 28, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Ruger480

Quote:
Some say they have had misfire issues out of them
Nope. I even shoot BH 209 using the same breech plug that came with the gun with no issues.

Every time I pull the trigger it goes boom. I will say that I get better accuracy from sabots as opposed to the Powerbelts though.

Freedom, I have seen those muzzy pistols and I want one, they look pretty sweet.
Old November 29, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

CVA optima is a darn good rifle. Quite a few people I know use the Optima models having open barrel sights. (only one owned a wolf) Over the years I asked a few fellows how they came to their decision in regards to purchasing theirs:

1. Thompson's are to expensive.

2. Shoulder fit was better than some others.

3. Word of mouth.

I would say in the world of inlines the Optima isn't a base line rifle. (other than their wolf models might be considered as such) More in the middle of middle their V2 model is. No doubt the V2 can hold its own with other manufacture's higher end models. The only two draw backs. Non-adjustable trigger. And its open barrel sight models aren't drill & tapped for scope usage. But those fellows I posed that question to Jake. All were pleased with their rifles performance. Not one expressed a concern. Most preferred/used Powerbelt's and Triple 7 pellets also. So, I would agree with you Sir that Optima is a good idea. As far as my experience with one. Not really other than checking over a couple models for fit & finish. I probably at anytime could have tried someones out. But. I'm the only'est guy in that neighborhood that shoots Patched Ball. I'm happy with my long ago made decision. Good luck with your decision now.

S/S