The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
hunter33

Deer season is so close!

I'm so excited for western deer rifle season to start! I went and sighted in about two weeks ago, got em shooting real straight I've been shooting non stop. I had so much fun getting my first deer last year. I'm going to be using my Mauser 22-250, with 55 gr round nose. I will also use that old 30-40 krag for elk if are plans stay the same

Would be cool to tell me about your upcoming hunts and what your weapon of choice is
Old September 21, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
BIGR

I am ready but I have to wait until November the 8th for opening day (whitetail season) of black powder. Weapon of choice for that will be a .50 CAL. T/C Omega loaded with 295 GR. powerbelt bullets. As far as I am concerned that week will be real active and the deer will not be too spooked. The following week will be first week of either sex rifle season and I should have the Rem. Model 700 XCR in 30.06 along for that action. Last year I did get a nice 9 point with the smoke pole so this year I hope things are better.
Wished it would hurry and get here, the nights are getting cooler (upper 40's) and my neck is swelling.......
Old September 21, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My first deer will be with the Marlin 336c in .30-30 spittin' out cheapo winchester 160 grain jacketed. With any luck I will then remove the scope which was on it when I traded my Lorcin .380 for it and try for an iron sight deer kill. I will then move to the 12 gauge Maverick 88 with 28 inch barrel using either slugs or 00buck not sure which yet. For deer number four I will fire up the Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 18 inch barrel using slugs. Then I will settle in to the rest of the season with the Marlin and 20 mostly as i will be settling into the swamps for a more challenging stalk. I will also be targeting hogs as opportunity and sign presents itself. Hogs kind of rule out the use of 00 buck. With food prices what they are I need to harvest several hundred pounds of wrapped meat for myself and others.
Brent
Old September 22, 2008, 05:48 AM   #4
VaFisher

I have a freind here in VA that wanted to use his 22-250 but here we can't use a caliper that small for big game, guess they don't feels it large enough for deer and been that way forever or as long as I can remember.
Old September 22, 2008, 06:18 AM   #5
lon371

Our firearms season starts mid Nov. I am using my Mossy 500 for opening day(more shells) Where we live it is a war zone, and the deer are running everywhere.
Second day will be H&R Utra slug 20(with bull barrel) or H&R .44 mag. Have not decided yet. Will probably decide after the kids pick thru the safe.
I will probably carry my T/C Contender .357 with 158 grainers for the confused deer that walks under my stand

The weather is cooling off. The Ammo is piling up. The kids are getting anxious. Season can not get here soon enough

Lonny
Old September 22, 2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

We start in Kentucky on November 9th. Not sure what gun I'm going to use, either my Savage 7mm Rem Mag or my Ruger No. 1 in 45-70. I'm leaning towards the Ruger but may take the 7mm at least once.

I've got the first 3 days of the week off so I'll be hunting the first 5 days of the season non-stop. Pretty excited.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; September 23, 2008 at 06:53 AM.