The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2001, 10:28 PM   #1
CAP

How many of you have a C&R FFL?

Midway and Brownell's give discounts to dealers (even though a C&R is a collectors FFL, you get the same consideration), Natchez doesn't.

For the $30 for a three year license you get to buy C&R firearms direct at dealer cost and have them delivered directly to you without paperwork, well worth it!

Are any C&R holders aware of other suppliers of reloading equipment that offer discounts?

[Edited by CAP on 05-12-2001 at 02:30 AM]
Old May 12, 2001, 01:23 AM   #2
Steve Smith

I jsut received my C&R last week. I was not aware of this Midway deal. Thank you!
Old May 12, 2001, 01:29 AM   #3
CAP

Steve, you need to send them a copy of your signed C&R just like you would any dealer that you plan on buying guns from.

Welcome!
Old May 16, 2001, 02:48 PM   #4
Glocknroll

Excuse my ignorance, but how does one apply for this license?

http://www.geocities.com/glocknroll40/
Old May 16, 2001, 03:11 PM   #5
handgunhunting

what type of fireaun can you buy with a C&R ?
Old May 16, 2001, 03:27 PM   #6
BMiracle

Pretty much all of the old surplus firearms. Mausers, enfields, Mosin-Nagants etc.
Old May 16, 2001, 04:24 PM   #7
Rottweiler

Go to http://www.cruffler.com These guys can/will answer all those questions and those that arise after the first answers are given. They also have all the forms (one) and instructions you need to get your C&R.
Old May 16, 2001, 06:00 PM   #8
zot

if I'm wrong correct me,but if you have a FFL of any type
you have to pay taxes to feds and state when you buy with
your FFL, it will catch up with you latter, if I buy a gun and put it in my name and out of inventory, then I have to pay the 11% or 10% tax on that gun,if I sell primers or
powder or holsters or scopes etc, then I have to pay taxes on those items,you get wholesale prices, but you still have
to pay taxes latter.
Old May 16, 2001, 09:08 PM   #9
CAP

Zot, there are no taxes involved because it's not a retail license, it's strictly for collecting. You can sell guns from your collection, but only to improve your collection by turning around and adding to it.
Old May 16, 2001, 09:54 PM   #10
zot

I wondered about that,I wish I had enough money to pay the
taxes on all my inventory and get a C&R.so much damned paper
work and background checks, and I ALLWAYS get some guy telling me he's buying a handgun for his girlfreind,
straw purchase!NO SALE!I just renewed my 07 because I don't
want to lose some cool guns.can you buy any 1911s or 1903
Springfields?I'd think they'd be old enough,
Old May 16, 2001, 10:06 PM   #11
Steve Smith

CAP is right. As a C&R liscensee, you're not buying for resale, so charging taxes aren't a necessity if you sell off an item of your collection later. Reloading supplies are not purchased "with" the liscense. The liscense is just to show the company that you have one.

In fact, they'll take a fax of it...so the signature doesn't even have to be ink.
Old May 16, 2001, 11:54 PM   #12
CAP

Zot, I'd thought about getting an 07 as a home business, but when I looked at all the regs.... No way. An 03 C&R (not to be confused with class 3) is the best way for an person to go. I've only bought a Turk Mauser and an arsenal refinshed Russian M44 Nagant so far (got side tracked into full auto and suppressors) so I'm not sure about 1911's and 03's. If it's more than 50 years old it should be on the BATF list of C&R's (they have the list on their website), they even list full auto's (but ya still have to pay the $200 and do the hoops, although once that is done you can have it shipped directly to you).

The best part of this is that since you hold an FFL, even though it's not for resale, many suppliers will extend you the dealer discount knowing full well that it's for your own use.
Old May 17, 2001, 03:29 PM   #13
HandCannon

When I placed my first order with Brownell's the gal on the phone ask me if I was a business and I said "yes" (I have a machine shop business but nothing to do with firearms, and I told her that)she said "fine" and set me up with their dealer discount schedule. Now, every time I place an order with them they give me dealer pricing which is coded in the number just before the product weight figure.

No license, No nuttin'