The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 17, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Chowder

JP Bolt carrier

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the full mas JP complete BCG. It is a little pricey but if it is worth the extra price I am willing to pay.

This is the BCG I am looking at.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPBC-2A

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
CTS

Wow! I used one of their triggers sets and it is nice but it didn't cost that much. I don't know what could be so special that it would warrant that kind of money but that's just me. Have a look at these bolts: http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-...#RGUNS-AR-BOLT
The nickle boron looks awfully nice to me for half the price.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Chinny33

I shoot a lot of 3 gun and I see many competitors use JP. Some swear its the only thing that holds up in the MGM Iron Man where you are shooting 1,000+ rounds for the day. Not true, not everyone has JP as their bolts and are doing just fine.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod27448.aspx

I saw this on brownells. Looks pretty similar -$100 in cost over the JP.

Im not convinced that you dont need to oil/lubricate plus you just wipe off carbon.
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 19, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Chowder

Thanks for the link, I have heard good things about the fail zero. Looking for a place that will let me back order a BCG since I seem to always miss out on the e-mails saying things are back in stock.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #5
MarkCO

The VAST majority of 3 Gunners use a Low Mass carrier, most from JP, and a mil-spec bolt. Some guys run the enhanced bolt, some just put an upgrade kit on their mil-spec. The ONLY bolts I have personally seen fail at a major 3Gun match have been JP bolts...but then there are more of them than the others.

The guys who don't run JP Low Mass carriers are by and large sponsored by a rifle company or have other ties to a direct competitor of JP. We build custom upper for competition and I do recomend and use the JP low mass carriers, but I use the standard mils-spec bolts.

Properly staked and greased, most people will never see any difference in carriers. If you want to go low mass, there are only 2 choices. The JP low mass (Stainless or QPQ) or the Youngs UltraLight (Chromed). Bolts...don't cut corners!

So, depending on your build and purpose, it might be worth it, but probably not.