The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 11:20 AM   #76
Webleymkv

Originally posted by TheTinMan
Quote:
The idea that an internal lock makes it OK to leave a loaded gun where a child could get it is simply irresponsible.

The idea that locking a gun with an internal lock makes it OK to leave it unsecured in your car or a hotel room is equally irresponsible.

If you own a firearm, it is your personal responsibility to ensure that it is either under your control or secured at all times. The ILS fails to meet my standards for "secured".

The basic concept that it is a bad idea to add a mechanism which could possibly cause my gun to jam when I need it most seems perfectly rational to me. Even if it is a one-in-a-million chance. That is a lottery I do not care to participate in.

I am mystified by Webleymkv's motivation here.
I'm not going to circle this tree again as it's become tiresome (that's why I stopped posting in this thread three weeks ago). I will, however, say that the insinuations about my motivation are becoming very bothersome. If anyone here wishes to accuse me of something, I sure wish they'd come out and do it rather than hint around about how "mystified" they are.
Old October 15, 2012, 01:56 PM   #77
dahermit

I am not "mystified" by your motivation Webleymkv. I agree with you that it is mostly a matter of taste. But it would be more fun to accuse you of something. I am not sure of what though, if anything. Got any favorites?
Old October 15, 2012, 07:25 PM   #78
Webleymkv

Quote:
I am not "mystified" by your motivation Webleymkv. I agree with you that it is mostly a matter of taste. But it would be more fun to accuse you of something. I am not sure of what though, if anything. Got any favorites?
I sure wouldn't mind being accused of being the smartest or best looking person around (not that such a thing would ever happen) or even of being a connoisseur of fine cheeseburgers
Old November 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #79
dahermit

Dead thread, resurected.

Please forgive me for reviving this old thread, but something just occurred to me relative to Webleymkv's posts number 6, 10, etc. relative to the S&W ILS being a emotional response to the flag hole in the side of a S&W, and that it would not be a problem for us (those who hate it), if we did could not see it. It occurred to me that I have the same negative "emotional" response to the Colt series 80 firing pin lock although it does not manifest itself externally and thus, cannot see it. In that case, I still know that it is there. An un-needed, superfluous abomination, as is the ILS on revolvers.