The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Bullrock

Buying my first Sig.

Sig. 2022

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I picked up my first Sig; ever! My first, and second, reactions were, "what a piece of junk". My second reaction was, "maybe I can trade it for a High Point".

I broke it down, cleaned and oiled, and tried to put it back to together. After an hour of trying, extra time with the Sig users guide and more time with Sigs on line guide, I took my dog for a long walk. Upon arriving back home, I finally figured it out. I think! But, still the hammer is loose and rattles, the recoil spring moans and groans, the decock lever doesn't work. Maybe it needs a live one in the hole for that to happen, but I'm not taking any more chances around the house messing with piece with no plum. The left side is seated slightly higher than the left.

Say what you want, this Sig sucker has one more chance, and thats at the range, maybe tomorrow. Maybe I can pay someone to take the first shot for me. Oh pardon me sir????

"D' Day will be Monday and may include a one way ticket to New Hampshire, or maybe I'll just give it a ride home...
Old April 13, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
RampantAndroid

Did you not handle it before buying? How could you not know the feel of a sig? I mean, I'm NO FAN of Sig, but would not call their guns total crap. I mean, if people can say good things about a rock island 1911...

Take it back to the gun shop, show it to them and ask for help.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
RamItOne

Kinda sounds like the guy that buys the Mercedes C230 thinking its a Mercedes.

However their lil P250 is great
Old April 13, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
JonathanZ

If the hammer rattles and the decocking lever doesn't work then you should definitely take it back.

I've never handled an SP2022, but my P226 is the finest handgun I've owned. Of course they cost twice as much as the SP2022's.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
WVsig

When you say you broke it down did you field strip it or detail strip it?

Old April 13, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
JonathanZ

Quote:
Kinda sounds like the guy that buys the Mercedes C230 thinking its a Mercedes.*
Lol, exactly! Although I have still heard good things about the SP2022's. You can't expect it to be a P226/229 though.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
jibberjabber

Quote:

However their lil P250 is great
Your claim is that the sp2022 pales in comparison to the p250?
Old April 13, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
WVsig

Quote:
Your claim is that the sp2022 pales in comparison to the p250?
My claim would be that the SP2022 is superior to a P250 in every way!!!!

I love my SP2022 and consider it a "REAL" Sig

and I love my "REAL" Mercedes...

Old April 13, 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
WVsig

That said both my Mercedes and my SP2022 were made in Germany......
Old April 13, 2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Smit

Just take it back. I would suggest NOT firing it as it sounds like it needs some work.
Old April 13, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
paperpounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smit View Post
Just take it back. I would suggest NOT firing it as it sounds like it needs some work.
Does Sig cover issues not of their own making?

Sounds like a botched detailed breakdown to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old April 13, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Bullrock

Quote:
Did you not handle it before buying? How could you not know the feel of a sig? I mean, I'm NO FAN of Sig, but would not call their guns total crap. I mean, if people can say good things about a rock island 1911...
As I said, it was my first Sig, ever, so how could I not know the "feel" of a sig. Is that something like a left leg feeling different than a right?

Quote:
Well I'm 77 and I live on SS and a small pension, so spending $400+ on anything is a big deal for me, and knowing that I can't afford another gun anytime soon, makes the disappointment seem much larger than if I was affluent. Now I don't know anything about a mercedes. I've have never owned one, nor have I ever driven one. I came here to talk about guns.

Quote:
Is this for real?
I've been around guns all my life. Here in the Maine woods we don't have gun ranges with rental booths to try and buy, but before I try a gun I usually check it out pretty well, and that includes TFL. My first hunting rifle was a 32/40 in 1948. I also have a few Quick Draw Championships back in the late 50's, and I've done a ton of smithy work. Right now I have to confine my work to mostly cosmetic stuff because of arthritis in my hands. so while I might sound like a country bumpkin to some of you Lol's, I bought (sight unseen) a bad gun!

It's too bad that the admins can't see through some of this interlectual LOL garbage that you "know it all guys" shell out on FL. Have a good time folks, I'll be postin a lot less, and oh yeah! thanks for all of your help...

Last edited by Bullrock; April 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 07:06 PM   #13
geetarman

I think if you take a look at your first post, you might see the basis for some of the responses.

Is this a new gun?

I am 70. I have a few Sigs and I find them to be well built and reliable.

I was at the range this morning with a P226 in .40 and shot the dickens out of it and had no hiccups at all.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience with Sig, but if as you say the hammer rattles and one side of the slide is higher than the other, I would just suck it up and send it to Sig and have it repaired.

My experience with Sig customer service has been very positive even though I have only had an issue with one gun.

Hope it works out for you.

Geetarman
Old April 13, 2012, 07:18 PM   #14
bamiller

I have many high and medium end and a few low end pistols made by various manufacturers and IMO the SP2022 is one of the best $350- $400 pistols out there. My functions flawlessly and shots like a tack driver.
Old April 13, 2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Bullrock

Well Geet, you're correct. I tend to write with my heart and not my head. To say I was disappointed in my Sig. was an understatement. I'm crushed.

I try to fight off all this stuff, including the stomach cancer that's killing me, but my temperment always seems to get the best of me. I didn't write to complain about the Sig. While I have not owned one before this time, all of the reports I've read have been glowing. The fact that I got a lemon, really zapped me out.

I was looking for help, but instead I attracted the usual know-it-alls. I really have no intention of firing that gun tomorrow. I still have my one lone Cougar 8000 to shoot. But if Sig is like most other gun mfg's in the world, I'll be long gone before I can get a replacement.

Many thanks for your intelligent words...
Old April 13, 2012, 07:42 PM   #16
RamItOne

Jibberjabber- I can see how my post wasn't too clear. Wasn't wanting to discredit Sigs entry line, I enjoy my p250 a lot. It feels rock solid. But I don't believe that or the pistol the OP mentioned would ever be the gun that sig puts at the forefront.

The $1k sig 1911 elite I bought had ongoing issues with it it for 2 months sending it back to sig a half dozen times or so.

WVSig- nice Benz, had a 77 300D and an 88 300sdl growing up, now have an LS430 and a Tundra
Old April 13, 2012, 07:58 PM   #17
RampantAndroid

Quote:
As I said, it was my first Sig, ever, so how could I not know the "feel" of a sig. Is that something like a left leg feeling different than a right?
What I mean by the feel is going to a gun shop and asking the people working there to take a sig out of their case, clear it and let you handle it. If I have never handled that type of gun before, I usually won't buy it. For example, I've never handled a FN High Power, and as such will not buy it, until I've had a chance to handle it and see if I like the feel.

Again, take it to the gun shop, ask them for help.
Old April 13, 2012, 08:41 PM   #18
RamItOne

A lot of shops have a boiler plate policy on defects - send to mfg
Old April 13, 2012, 08:42 PM   #19
RC20

First I am sorry for the fix you are in. Being where you are at is a damned rough thing. Maybe not worth a lot, but you have my sincerest sympathy. Been there with some older freinds and have stood the watch.

The Sig SP2022 is a good gun. Doesn't mean there aren't lemons, but thats true of all mfgs. Will try to help as I own a SP2022.

First question would be was it messed up before the take down?

Yea, I have taken a few down and took me a lot of time to get back together as I missed the key to it. De-cocker should work unloaded as well as loaded.

I get hung up on the getting it back together. The slide is a bit sticky and you have to index it to the hole on the lug in the bottom of the barrel, then slide it the rest of the way back to index into the take down hole.

They are a bit loose, but should not be rattly.

If it came that way then you should take it back to the shop. Let them take care of dealing with it. They should give you another one while they deal with Sig. They should never sell a gun NIP without full inspection.

They also will (or should) have opened it to confirm the serial number for the paperwork.

If you need to talk any more help and want to take it off line you can PM me.
Old April 13, 2012, 09:09 PM   #20
jibberjabber

I hate to hear about anyone having a tough time with their firearm. It's frustrating to say the least. I hope the OP's situation is resolved without too much inconvenience.

If the forum has taught me anything, it's that a gun's pricetag doesn't determine the value to its owner or how reliable it's going to be.
Old April 13, 2012, 09:42 PM   #21
BGutzman

Sigs are usually 1st rate, you must have gotten a bad production model or maybe they sold you something used and claimed it was new...

Id contact Sig and let them make it right.... Sigs higher prices are because they have generally better materials and more precision manufacturing..
Old April 13, 2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Marquezj16

Bullrock, did you buy this gun as a new or used pistol?
Old April 13, 2012, 10:38 PM   #23
Mercenary

Not trying to hijack, but what's the warranty on the SP2022?? I've read somewhere that its only one year versus lifetime for their other products. Can anyone verify or denounce this?
Old April 13, 2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Marquezj16

From the manual...

Warranty Statement
Based on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, SIGARMS Inc. offers no express
warranty on their product line. However, SIGARMS Inc. recognizes its
obligations concerning service to owners of SIGARMS products.
SIGARMS Inc. stands behind its products and will continue to provide service
to their product line as they have over the years. SIGARMS Inc. products
will be serviced for a period of one year from date of retail purchase,
for defects in materials or workmanship, at no charge to the purchaser. Be
sure to retain your sales slip as proof of purchase date when making a claim.
Old April 13, 2012, 11:02 PM   #25
WVsig

Again I will ask....

When you say you broke it down did you field strip it or detail strip it?

Answer that simple question and from there people here can help you.