The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2010, 05:40 AM   #1
Irish B

Chokes for Rifled slugs

Do you guys prefer to run chokes when using rifled slugs? I've got a 26" 870 Express Super Mag and i've always run a standard modified. How about you guys? Not necessarily looking for suggestions just curious what everyone's set up is.

Last edited by Irish B; October 13, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old October 13, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Nnobby45

I'd shoot slugs thru a modified if that's what I had, but the guns I have are both Scattergun Tech---one a cyl. bore and the other IC. Both are equipped with good rifle sights. I haven't tested them extensively, but I haven't noticed an accuracy difference betweem the two.
Old October 13, 2010, 07:16 AM   #3
zippy13

Those slugs aren't really rifled but have fins. They are longitudinal in some slugs and pitched in others. The fins don't impart any spin on the slug. Their purpose is two fold: First to reduce friction between the slug and the barrel resulting in higher velocity. Secondly, by reducing the contact area, the slugs pass any choke constriction easier.

Yes, you have to "run chokes" when shooting slugs, else the slug will mess up the muzzle's internal threads. Of course, this doesn't apply to a fixed choke barrel.

When selecting a screw-in choke for slug use, most folks start with the least constrictive choke they have for that barrel, and work from there. It will be cylinder or imp cyl in most guns. Each gun and slug combination will behave differently -- what works best in your buddy's 26" R-870-Ex Super Mag may not work best in yours.

If you're serious about getting the best from slugs, you've got to spend some bench time. Experiment with different slugs and chokes to learn which is the best combination for your gun. Like Nnobby45, you may wish to invest in some custom chokes. You gun/barrel may be very sensitive to the choke selection for a given slug, or not. There's only one way to find out.
Old October 13, 2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Nnobby45

Guess I misunderstood the post. Sorry. I was referring to bbl.s with fixed chokes, not screw in choke systems which is what we mostly see these days.

I know that at Gunsite, they pointed out that students who showed up with screw in chokes usually had them end up down range at some point. Maybe they make better ones these days, but I don't think those systems were made with slugs in mind. If I ran slugs with screw in choke systems, the choke would be cylinder bore and I'd run very few of them.

As for Foster type slugs, the softer hollow based design allows the slug to expand enough so it doesn't rattle down the bore. I was never sure if the rifled portion (fins) were a commercial gimmick or actually did something. I know that accuracy is as good when I use the hard Brenneke type slugs which don't expand inside the bore.

Last edited by Nnobby45; October 13, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 13, 2010, 05:11 PM   #5
zippy13

Nnobby45,
You're not the only one, I misunderstood, too. You were describing custom fixed choke barrels, not screw-ins. I agree with your cylinder bore screw-in selection; however, there are those who report their best accuracy from significantly tighter screw-ins.
Old October 13, 2010, 05:45 PM   #6
jheitertusa

My Remington 870 Express Magnum (3" chamber) has rifle sights and a fixed improved cylinder choke. On the Remington Slugger boxes it states something to the effect that they are safe to fire in all chokes but that best accuracy is often achieved with improved cylinder chokes. Not sure if that is the case or not, but I use my 870 primarily for slug hunting deer, and they shoot fine.
Old October 13, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
zippy13

> "On the Remington Slugger boxes it states something to the effect that they are safe to fire in all chokes but that best accuracy is often achieved with improved cylinder chokes."
This is in concert with the majority belief that slugs perform best with just a little constriction. Yet, as I mentioned earlier, some forum members report better results with tighter choke tubes. This is probably why Remington uses the word "often" in their advisory. You gotta put in the range time to learn how your chokes perform with slugs.
Old October 13, 2010, 07:52 PM   #8
jheitertusa

Quote:
You gotta put in the range time to learn how your chokes perform with slugs.
So true, nothing substitutes for range time. I heard all these rave reviews for the Federal TruBall slugs, so I bought like 8 boxes (on sale) and went to the range. While they probably work great in some guns, they shot pretty wild out of mine. I went back to using Remington Sluggers and the Brenneke KO's (my favorite).
Old October 13, 2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Irish B

I know how rifled slugs work and i'm comfortable with what i use i was just curious what everyone else used
Old October 14, 2010, 01:41 AM   #10
Nnobby45

Quote:
> "On the Remington Slugger boxes it states something to the effect that they are safe to fire in all chokes but that best accuracy is often achieved with improved cylinder chokes."
Safe for the slug, maybe.

If if was safe for the choke device, then Gunsite Training Center wouldn't be seeing them, on a regular basis, go flying down range in their shotgun courses.

MAYBE, that should be addressed a little more.

Of course, there might be something said for the double projectile concept.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:29 AM   #11
jheitertusa

Quote:
Safe for the slug, maybe.

If if was safe for the choke device, then Gunsite Training Center wouldn't be seeing them, on a regular basis, go flying down range in their shotgun courses.
I wonder if any of that is due to poorly maintained guns, like stripped or rusty choke threads, or even people not screwing them in all the way. It sometimes amazes me how some people fail to take care of their weapons, even people who shoot a lot. That being said, I am not a fan of shooting slugs through things like a full choke. My 870 is a fixed I.C. choke, which avoids this nasty problem...

I can see how a more restrictive choke would take a beating from slugs being rammed through, especially in high numbers.