The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Splat!!

Primer Question

Due the my available time frame that I have to load and other things going on in life I have changed my routine ..........

I have started sizing and priming my cases first ......then storing them until I decide what bullet / load to use.........
A couple of people have told me they have had issues with primers not firing when installed and then stored, I fail to see the reasoning behind that .....

Anyone else had exp with this??.................Thanks

I use CCI and Winchester primers .Rifle, and pistol
Old April 10, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
sasquatch

I use CCI primers exclusively, both pistol and rifle, and do the same thing. I have had primed brass stored for around a year before loading them and have not experienced a failure as yet.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
scottys1

I haven't had any issues at all with doing the same thing.

When loading on my progressive (Dillon 550) which I use for higher volume pistol cartridges, the brass gets tumbled, inspected, and loaded.

For lower volume loading especially rifle cartridges, I'll size, trim, and otherwise prep the cases in one or more sittings on the single stage press after which they get primed. I'll do a batch of cases and store any that don't get immediately loaded in covered tupperware containers. I'll label the container and put the sleeve from the primers in with the brass so I know what they are. I've stored some at times for months or even over a year with no problems.

It comes in handy having a batch of identically prepped cases already done when working up loads using different bullets or powder charges when range time can be sporadic.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:37 PM   #4
WCW

I also keep many cases prepped for reloading in the very same fashion, and I have never had any ignition problems whatsoever. I should also add I use a variety of primers and have never had any problems with any particular brand with cases stored this way.
Old April 10, 2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

A number of us buy bulk brass that is already primed to save time for the first loading. If priming in advance did damage inherently, these cases would not be offered for sale.

If you prime with too much force and crack the priming mix under the anvil of the primer, it is conceivable you have rendered the mix more moisture sensitive than usual. Prime carefully and store the stuff in a couple of layers of baggies with a desiccant.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 11, 2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Splat!!

Thanks ..........I myself have had no problem. Just a couple ppl tell me they tried that method and had a few primer failures to which they blamed on priming the case beforehand..............Due to the fact that was the only variable they changed prior to the failures.........
Old April 11, 2007, 06:24 PM   #7
williamd

No problem. Store dry. Heck, you can buy primed cases and who knows how long they have been stored??!!
Old April 11, 2007, 07:22 PM   #8
swmike

I can't see much difference between storing a primer in the package it came in or in the primer pocket of an empty case. Just keep dry and cool.

I just loaded and shot some cases that were primed in 1990. Not a single misfire.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old April 12, 2007, 12:01 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've had some cases prepped before for as long as 5 years before I get around to loading and shooting them.

Never had a problem with failures to fire.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:22 AM   #10
gary2905

Let me chime in with the rest.
Have done this for years and like Mike Irwin, never have had a problem.
How does the primer know where it is stored? Slightly rhetorical question from a smart a--.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Splat!!

Quote:
How does the primer know where it is stored? Slightly rhetorical question from a smart a--.
That was kinda my response when they told me that , but I reserved much comment until I reinspected the packages that the primers were in . I was pretty sure they were not sealed from moisture ........Both of them have more years reloading then I ..........I just recently got back into reloading. I used to reload alot of Shotgun when I grouse hunted 15 years ago....I am not new at it ..............Matter of fact I learned the hard way that fast burn powder and heavy loads don't mix.............. ( In my quest for the ultimate grouse load)

Thanks everyone.................
Old April 12, 2007, 10:37 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

My guess is that it's a case of bad storage causing the problems.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:12 PM   #13
cheygriz

I've stored primed cases for years. I use Remington primers exclusively. Never had a problem.
Old April 23, 2007, 01:34 AM   #14
mattgreennra

As long as you don't rub super greasy hands all over the primers or store them in jungle humidity you shouldn't have a problem.
Old April 24, 2007, 02:40 AM   #15
45auto45

Yep, very recently loaded a few hundred rounds of 45's that I primed backed in 1988, worked just fine!!