The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2005, 03:56 AM   #1
fanoblack

Found a Single stage Pacific press...

While going through some of my Grandpa's stored stuff, I came across a Pacific single stage press, with dies for 270 and plenty of material to do so. I was quite surprised to actually find it, I was told he used to reload but I was under the impression it was only shotgun shells. So my question is, do modern dies fit this press? I can't seem to find a lot out about it. I have done some quick and dirty searches for it and can only seem to find references to them on this board and a website that talks about the company. No info on the piece I am interested in.

I would love to start reloading for my .45, so if I could just go buy some .45 dies and use that press that would be great. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

fanoblack
Old January 2, 2005, 04:30 AM   #2
steveno

use the press
Old January 2, 2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Pacific actually originated the now-standard 7/8x14 threaded dies and T-slot detachable shellholder, even though RCBS often gets the credit.
You are probably good to go on that press.

You will not find much current information in print or www because Pacific was taken over by Hornady several years ago. They have been revising all the products and I don't think you can get anything just like a Pacific any more.

What you need besides .45 dies depends on how much gear Grandpa left, how old it is, and how well preserved it is.
You MUST have a powder scale. A new magnetic damped balance beam scale would be worth it if his is undamped or has obsolete oil bath, air vane, or counterweight damper; or is beat up.
You will want a powder measure. An old unit in good condition would be fine.
You should have a current handloading manual, powders and standards have evolved over the years.
You need a cartridge block to single stage load, and a cheap Communist Chinese dial caliper is useful.
For pistol ammo you do not need case lube or case trimming equipment.

Lots of posts, manuals, and articles on other gear and methods.
Old January 2, 2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

I dunno where the notion comes from that you gotta have a powder scale. He wants to load .45 ACP. Lee AutoDisk or RCBC Li'l Dandy will do him fine without no scale. If money is really tight, the Lee Dipper Kit will do. I don't see that he needs no whole lot of manuals neither. That info is available online.

This ain't rocket science, folks, and there ain't no need to intimidate the beginners.
Old January 2, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
fanoblack

Thanks guys

Yeah, he left a scale that I could use. I figured something happened to Pacific, since the only info I could find about them was in the past tense. I was hoping that the press would work, the 270 dies that were with the press looked almost identical to the dies that I have handled with newer rigs. Great. Now I just need to start saving my good brass. Wolf is nice, but you can't reload it. Besides, there is certain beauty in shiny brass shells.

Off to get a manual then. Thanks for the help, all of you.

fanoblack
Old January 3, 2005, 08:30 PM   #6
JNewell

I agree on the dippers, but my experience with my two Lee AutoDisk measures (which I like a lot) is that the chart that's packaged with it (and available on their website) is sometimes waaaaay off the stated weight. Thankfully, to the best of my recollection, I think it's always been off on the light side - but I always check what it's throwing with a scale.
Old January 3, 2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I have had a Lee Safety Disc, a Lee Dipper Kit, an RCBS Little Dandy, a CH AutoChamp with bushings and a MEC shotshell loader with bushings.
None deliver what the chart says. All were light so you wouldn't blow up a gun, but some loads were so light as to not function an auto or so mild as to tempt the unwary to move up a hole... or two.

I consider a powder scale essential to handloading.

Powder company data is free. Looking it up on the Net is convenient if I am doing research, but my computer is not close to my press for setting an actual load.

But that is the difference between handloading and recipe loading.
Old January 4, 2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Paul Fitz Jones

For New Reloaders

I like to advise new shooters and reloaders thst there is a lot of experienced fellows at the local outdoor shooting ranges. In the summer of course. Ask some questions of the management and rangemaster as to whom would be good to speak to that would help a newbie, If there any classes available and many old timers like to talk and have extra equipment to sell or trade off.

I really like to spend time at my local beautiful Yolo Range being helpful.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old January 4, 2005, 07:07 PM   #9
MADISON

Pacific press

Pacific was bought out by HORNADY.
The press should be an excellent one to load with.
If you need parts, that could be a problem...
Old January 4, 2005, 07:35 PM   #10
larryf1952

I've been reloading on a Pacific "Power C" single stage press since I started reloading in 1976, and it's built thousands and thousands of rounds. It's the only press I've ever used. I have a 2nd one that I was given by a friend in about '87, but I've never had to use it. They use standard press accessories and are hell for strong. I don't know how you'd ever break one. You've got a good press there, it'll serve you well.
Old January 30, 2005, 07:25 AM   #11
jsflagstad

I have a Pacific too

I have a Pacific press as well. It was given to my dad for a christmas present from my grandparents when I was just a toddler. This press has loaded many many rounds with out a problem. It is very robust and should serve you for years. I load everything from 38spl/357 Mag to 300 Weatherby Mag on mine.

Love it.

JSF