The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 9, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Is my Aimpoint Ruined?

So I've been out of shooting for over a decade and just got back. Today I took out this old Aimpoint sight that I have, and I haven't looked at it since like 1999, I believe. It still looks pretty good, but the old batteries seems to have leaked or something, and the leakage is greenish. I used a wrench to unscrew the cap. And now I can't remove the batteries. It seems to have sealed itself in or something. Is this sight ruined? Can I do anything to fix it? It's over 14 years old, so imagine that it's out of date and not worth fixing. Am I right? Should I just donate it to Goodwill?
Old July 9, 2013, 12:45 AM   #2
BarryLee

You might try to determine exactly what kind of battery it is and then research a little to see what substance you could use to clean up the residue. I think white vinegar can be use on alkaline batteries, but not sure about lithium batteries. It’s probably a good idea to be careful when dealing with these various batteries and cleaning materials.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 9, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
wogpotter

Its probably trashed as the electrolyte has snuk everywhere if the corrosion is that bad!

However, you can try a rescue even with the odds against you.
The electrolyte is usually alkaline in nature so a mild acid will neutralize it, but at the risk of doing additional damage. Be prepared to neutralize the acid after it has neutralized the alkaline using something like baking soda & a distilled water rinse follwed by complete disassembly & drying.

Try mechanical means such as picks & needle nose pliers to remove the corroded in batteries first & be prepared to be dissapointed.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 9, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Machineguntony

Thank you, gentlemen. I will do as such. I mean, it's old, so I have little to lose.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Theohazard

I had an old Aimpoint that I bought in 1998. In 2001 I ended up moving back to my hometown where all my guns were banned, so I stored them elsewhere for a few years. When I got them out of storage, I had a similar problem; my battery appeared to have corroded against the contact points. I took the battery out, got a wooden dowel and glued some sand paper to the end. I used this to break up the corrosion on the contact points inside the Aimpoint. Then I just blew out all the debris.

But after that the Aimpoint still had problems. It had a bad connection and would turn itself off randomly from recoil. I ended up selling it on eBay several years ago for $180. (Don't worry, I fully disclosed its problems to the buyer; eBay's a good place to sell broken electronics.)
Old July 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
wogpotter

Don't use "sandpaper" to clean contacts. Its way way too abrasive & will rip any plating off in a heartbeat!
An ink eraser on a ballpoint pen is as harsh as you'll ever want to go. Also a thin smear of petroleum jelly (Vaselene) will protect previously damaged contacts while allowing electricity from the battery to pass through.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 9, 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Theohazard

Yeah, that's probably why it didn't work after I "fixed" it... But I wanted to upgrade and I got $180 bucks for it, so it wasn't a total loss.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
zoomie

Anyone called Aimpoint and asked if they can help? They're not a low-end-fly-by-night company, they might hook you up.