The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 16, 2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Igo21860

Question on .36 Remington replica

Hello, new here, my first post

I just acquired an older .36 Remington, marked Navy Arms Ridgefield N.J.
and Made in Italy on the barrel.

I was wondering about the approximate manufacture date of this revolver and who made it? Is Navy arms still in business?

Compared to my Pietta .44 caliber Remington Model 1858, this pistol is very similiar except for being a .36 and the barrel is 1 1/2 inch shorter, measuring 6 1/2 inches as opposed to the 8 inch on the Model 1858.

Is this a reproduction of anything Remington actually made back in the day? or just a "fantasy" piece? If a copy of something Remington actually made, what Model was it called?

thanks in advance for any help.
Old November 16, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Hawg

There should be a date code on it consisting of Roman numerals or two letters in a box. There should also be a manufacturers logo on it somewhere, maybe under the loading lever. Navy Arms is still in business. It is a copy of the Remington navy but the barrel length of the originals was 7 1/2 inches.
Old November 16, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

R-measure your barrel - it should be 7 1/2" unless it's been chopped? I could br wrong but I didn't think NA ever offered one with a 6 1/2" barrel.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 16, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Hellgate

I have 3 Remington Navies. All 3 have 6 3/8" barrels. Two are Euroarms and one is Uberti. They are identical in dimensions and two of them say Navy Arms Ridgefield, NJ on the barrels. The Uberti has the Uberti logo under the rammer on the barrel near the frame (octagon barrel muzzle with a "U" in the bore and a front sight on top). Euroarms guns will say Euroarms or have the logo of overlapping letters CGG or it will say Armi San Poulo (sp?).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 16, 2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Euroarms guns will say Euroarms or have the logo of overlapping letters CGG
That would be DGG.
Old November 16, 2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Hellgate

Ya got me Hawg. I stand politely corrected.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 16, 2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Igo21860

The barrel is definitely 6 1/2 inches. The only mark I can find on it is the number 83 bottom of the barrel right against the receiver.
Old November 17, 2014, 01:01 AM   #8
swathdiver

Pietta's 1858 in .36 caliber has a 6-1/2" barrel. It's made on the same frame as the .44s and goes by the names, navy, belt and police depending on who is selling it.

We have one and it is a fantastic shooter with round balls and Kaido conicals. It's chambers are .369 and the grooves are .367 which make for a tight seal.
Old November 17, 2014, 07:01 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

I stand corrected! You are indeed correct on the 6 1/2" barrel. I have a Pietta Remie Navie but don't shoot it much anymore as I usually shoot my Uberti '51 Navy most of the time - which does have a 7 1/2" barrel.

Hmmm . . . only the fourth time today I've been wrong! Cut me some slack . . . the day's not over yet! I still have plenty more opportunity to screw up . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 17, 2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
You are indeed correct on the 6 1/2" barrel. I have a Pietta Remie Navie but don't shoot it much anymore as I usually shoot my Uberti '51 Navy most of the time - which does have a 7 1/2" barrel.
I didn't even bother to measure mine.

Quote:
only the fourth time today I've been wrong!
I think you beat my record.