The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 28, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Don P

Revolver Shooters Needed

Folks we are in need of new shooters for our monthly ICORE matches. We are a private gun club located in Volusia County ,Florida off State Road 44. Here is a link to our clubs web site,
http://www.volusiacountygunandhuntclub.com/
The match is held every 3rd Saturday of the month and the match fee is $15 .
Come out and join us for some wheel gun fun. No need to be a member of ICORE to shoot. Any questions post them here or PM me.
Thanks for taking a look, Don P Assistant ICORE Match Director
Due to personal commitments by the 3 people who can run the match as of today we have to cancel the August match.
We have a food vender who comes out and sets up during the match.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
kraigwy

That's a long drive from Wyoming or a revolver match or I'd be there.

I love revolvers and love ICORE, our club use to shoot ICORE but everyone went the semi route for some reason.

I still shoot revolvers in USPSA, they do have a revolver division..............yeah right, the last two USPSA matches I shot I was the only revolver shooter so my scores get dumped in with everyone else's.

Which doesn't really matter I guess, It is hard to compete since I have three reloads to most peoples one reload.

When the results are posted, I disregard the times and look at the hits. I'm at the bottom of the list over all, but when I look at hits only, I'm close to the top.

In the long run it doesn't matter I guess, I shoot for fun and I think revolvers are more fun.

I guess its a throw back from my cop days. REAL COPS CARRY REVOLVERS.

I said that at my last LEOSA qualification where I smoked the auto shooters. They a young lady "in training instructor" her reply was REAL OLD COPS SHOOT REVOLVERS".

Anyway if I ever get to Florida I'll look up your ICORE match.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 29, 2014, 08:14 AM   #3
spacecoast

Don -

This looks really interesting. A shooting buddy and I might be interested in attending, I'll ask him this weekend. Sounds like the next opportunity would be Sept. 20 - right?

A limiting factor for us is travel time - it's about 85 miles one-way.

Questions after reviewing rules -
  • Target distances - how far is typical? What are min and max target distances?
  • Gun selection - I would probably use either my 6" 686 or 5" 625 in a first match. Sound reasonable to you?
  • To avoid having to buy 3 more speedloaders to start, can I use the 625 with moon clips? This would make it a Limited Division gun, right?
  • If moon clips are OK, can I put them in a simple pouch on my belt?
  • Holster - what do you recommend as an inexpensive way to start - maybe around $50?
  • During the course of fire, do you holster before moving to the next box?
One more question - is all shooting two-handed?

Last edited by spacecoast; July 29, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
Sounds like the next opportunity would be Sept. 20 - right?
Absolutely correct!

Quote:
Target distances - how far is typical? What are min and max target distances?
Gun selection - I would probably use either my 6" 686 or 5" 625 in a first match. Sound reasonable to you?
To avoid having to buy 3 more speedloaders to start, can I use the 625 with moon clips? This would make it a Limited Division gun, right?
If moon clips are OK, can I put them in a simple pouch on my belt?
Holster - what do you recommend as an inexpensive way to start - maybe around $50?
During the course of fire, do you holster before moving to the next box?
One more question - is all shooting two-handed?
Targets are from2 yards out to 25 at a typical match.
Either gun will do.
625 will put you in the limited division
Moon clips /speed loaders must be carried on the belt per the rule book. Simple pouch will work for the moon clips.
Inexpensive holster will work.
Usually the only time you holster hot during a stage if it is in multiple strings of fire.
As in other discipline's free style(2 hands) strong hand, weak hand is used.
Most of the stages are free style and every once in a while we throw in weak hand strong hand.
Here is the link to the ICORE web site rule book. Nice and simple about 17 pages
http://www.icore.org/pdf/icore_rule_...0-14_final.pdf
and the home page,
http://www.icore.org/

The September match is a Postal Match like IDPA does. The stage designs are on the web site to give you an idea of what to expect at the match with regards to distance and such. Stage description's are under the pictures of the stage as well as round counts for the stages. You do not have to be a member of ICORE to shoot the Postal match or our monthly match.
We also mix in steel with the paper targets at the monthly matches.

I'll PM you with my phone number if you would like to chat about the match
Old July 29, 2014, 12:48 PM   #5
spacecoast

Don -

Thanks for the info and the PM. I found the Postal Match descriptions and score sheets. Regardless of whether or not my buddy goes, you can likely expect me there assuming we don't have a hurricane bearing down that weekend.

I'll give you a call as we get closer to the match.
Old July 30, 2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Don P

Great looking forward to meeting you. Nice to put a face with the forum members.