The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 29, 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Prof. A. Wickwire

.45 ACP Reloading Question

Greetings,

I am in the process of ordering more components for reloading and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of the following manufacturers and their products. Specifically: Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets - 230 GR RN; and Rainier LeadSafe Total Copper Jacketed Bullets - 230 GR RN TCJ.

The price difference is minimal so I am looking for differences in quality and performance.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire

JPFO; NCOWS# 2511; NRA# 080060344; NYSRPA# 11983; SASS# 39766; SCOPE
Old June 29, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Trapper L

I've used the Rainier RNTCJ 230s before. I couldn't make them shoot with the accuracy that I was looking for. I now shoot the Rainier 200 gr HPs out of my 45 ACPs and they are more accurate than most shooters can hold. They also make a pretty decent carry bullet as they will open up on a coyote and still retain weight. I'm happy with the Rainier 200s, Berrys I've never tried.
Old June 29, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
DennisD

I use 180 grn Rainier copper plated (eloctroplated). I went with the lighter bullet because I wanted to minimize the wear and tear on my steel targets. I've had good luck and they are more accurate than I am. I bought 1,000 when Midway had them on sale. I'll order more Rainier when I need more bullets. Like Trapper L I've never tried Berry's. You might read the reviews on Midways site.

NRA Life
Old June 29, 2007, 06:32 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't have any input for you on Berry's either. I've loaded a lot of Rainier's and they're ok for punching holes in paper - but their process is a little shaky - and I've seen variations of 4 or 5 grains in 230 grain bullet which I think is a lot. On some caliber, like .44 mag, I've had the copper jacket peel off the bullet as it is going down range and give me 2 or 3 holes in a target for every round fired. I've even had chunks of the jacket laying on the shooting bench at the range - so it's coming off as the bullet enters the barrel or just as it leaves the barrel ( and my gun is properly timed, so it's not a gun issue). All of this went away when I switched to Montana Gold bullets - but they're a lot more expensive.
Old July 1, 2007, 10:49 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

pallets

I have used many 230g Rainier TCJ-RN in 45 ACP, but I suggest better accuracy with quality-made lead 230g RN, or Montana Gold or Zero or W-W or R-P FMJ.
Old July 1, 2007, 01:55 PM   #6
fourrobert13

I shoot Berry's 230 gr RN TCJ with good results. I also use Berry's bullets for 9mm as well, and I don't plan on switching.
Old July 1, 2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Dave R

Have shot a lot of Raniers in 9mm. Have shot a lot of Berry's in .45acp. I have a slight preference for Berrys. They shoot very well for me.
Old July 1, 2007, 07:47 PM   #8
Linear Thinker

I've used both Berry's and Rainier 230 grainers, both performed excellently. Rainier bullets appear to be smoother on the outside, probably due to manufacturing differences.
Both are highly recommended. Rainier will drop-ship a large order, so I've been using them lately.
LT
Old July 2, 2007, 05:51 AM   #9
ShootingNut

Primer question

Haven't bought a .45 yet, but have picked up some brass at the range. May load some, even before I purchase the pistol. For other loads I do, I use
WSP primers, and the WSPM for my .357's.
For the .45 ACP does one buy the WLP primers, as the diameter appears larger
(didn't measure them). The Federal 150 primers also fit,right?
Lee reloading equipment suggests only using Winchester or CCI for safety reasons.