The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
massrog39

Need advice on woods gun

I'm new here and am in a bit of a quandry. I have inherited an old Remington model 81.35cal. in great shape and am trying to decide whether to keep it or trade it in on a Marlin 336sc in the same caliber. I guess the question is which action is better for general northeast woods work. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old December 31, 2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Dr. A

Both were very popular. I guess if the old one functions it'd be hard to beat, but I'll never discourage someone from getting a 336.
Old December 31, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Sam06

Those old M81's are cool guns. Its said that where the Russians got the idea for the AK's safety. I would hang on to the 81. If you go to sell it they are worth more than a 336. You cannot beat a 336 as a woods gun but the 81 will do the job. Thats a tough choice but I think i would stick with the 81 and save up for a 336...........Sam
Old December 31, 2008, 10:27 PM   #4
massrog39

Thanks guys! Maybe another way to ask the question is "is there a better, realatively inexpensive all around woods rifle in any caliber than the ones I've mentioned?" As you may have guessed I am on somewhat of a budget and can't afford too many single purpose guns. Any suggestions are welcome!
Old December 31, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5
bufordtjustice

Don't sell the Remington. They are very unique, cool and getting harder to come by. The .35 is a good caliber as well. As far as all around woods gun, you will get lots of opinions but most will agree that a marlin 336 in .30-30 would be hard to beat. I am big marlin fan and would also suggest looking at their 1895G guide guns. .45-70 can be loaded light or heavy depending on what you may get into. In any case, a good quality lever gun is a solid idea.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:14 AM   #6
bswiv

How much better can it get then to have a very effective AND UNIQUE hunting arm? KEEP IT.

That said, if you must trade look long and hard for a older model Marlin with the Glenfield label on it. They came in a version with a short magazine tube chambered in .35 Rem.

Should be able to get one cheep because the wood on 'em was not near as nice as on the Marlin model. The Glenfield was sort of the Ford to the Lincoln but the mechanical parts are the same as the 336.

With the short magizine tube it's easy to cut the barrel back to 18 1/2 or 19 inches, shorten the stock and add a recoil pad ( Even though the .35 kicks hardly at all, I just like it very soft. ) and mount a Red Dot or a Scout type scope.

A easy inexpensive project and you end up with a great woods rifle.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd vote to keep the old critter, and look around some.

To me, a "woods rifle" means a relatively light weight and a relatively short barrel, to make it quick-handling and easy to maneuver in the brush. Most any medium-power cartridge will do. The main thing is the feel/fondle/dry fire/practice so you can quickly and accurately make a shot.
Old January 2, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
massrog39

Going to take the advice

Thanks again! I think I'll stay with this 81 and look aroun for a lever later. Now Any advice on where to look for a scope mount would be great!!!
Old January 2, 2009, 11:23 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Don't think I'd even consider scoping one, in good condition. They haven't been made since 1950 and only approximately 55,581 in all chamberings were made. There's one site that lists one in .30 Remington, with a cracked forend, at $1135. Another site with a very heavily customized(lots of stock carving and engraving) M81 in .35 Rem lists at $7395. Scoping your's will drop its value considerably.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:04 AM   #10
BLS700

+1 on that. Don't scope it leave it alone. Save up and get a Marlin and scope that if you want. I too am a 45-70 fan. I'd look into that caliber but I'm not sure what game you intend to hunt.