The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1
MissPistol

Use of firearms at home -Oregon specific

I was reading a state-by-state summary of ccw regs, and several states mention "permissible" to conceal carry in one's own home.

I had a fantasy of doing dry-fire laser target practice in my house when I get a pistol. Maybe I can't?

Also, how would such rules apply to cleaning your gun and other activities?

Am I overthinking it?
Old May 15, 2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Buzzcook

Quote:
Am I overthinking it?
I'd say that was a good bet.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:51 AM   #3
MissPistol

ok. So my gut instincts may be correct - it seems I should be able to work with my gun in my own home, but the way the rules read make me wonder. l live in a close-in suburb with lots of windows where people can see in. I guess I just worry folks will look in on me "shooting" at my laser target and I'll get to know my local sheriff really well.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
steveno

close the curtains
Old May 15, 2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPistol
ok. So my gut instincts may be correct - it seems I should be able to work with my gun in my own home, but the way the rules read make me wonder.
It isn't "rules" you need to worry about, it's laws -- statutes. And I am certain that there's no law in any state that prohibits you from handling a firearm inside your own home. If you think there's an Oregon statute that includes this prohibition, please cite the law and let us all read it with you.

Quote:
l live in a close-in suburb with lots of windows where people can see in.
As already commented -- close the curtains. Or move to a different room.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPistol
ok. So my gut instincts may be correct - it seems I should be able to work with my gun in my own home, but the way the rules read make me wonder.
It isn't "rules" you need to worry about, it's laws -- statutes. And I am certain that there's no law in any state that prohibits you from handling a firearm inside your own home. If you think there's an Oregon statute that includes this prohibition, please cite the law and let us all read it with you.
And when we get done reading the statute, we'll go back and re-read Heller. Are these ccw regs posted online? If so, where?

I haven't reviewed OR law, but I'd be very surprised if there was any statute that prevented dry firing, or laser practice with your pistol in your home. If you're worried about neighbors seeing you, then you have nosy neighbors. You should close the curtains and they should quit peepin' in your windows.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Niner4Tango

Hi from across the river!

NRA has a synopsis of Oregon laws here: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/oregon.aspx

Quote:
CARRY
It is unlawful to carry concealed upon the person or concealed about one's person in a vehicle any firearm unless one has a license to carry a concealed weapon.
Exceptions to the above prohibition are:
  • persons possessing a handgun at their home or place of business;
There is no law that I can find restricting dry firing in the house. But there is against pointing a firearm at a person. So, yeah practice where some nervous Nelly can't see you and over-react!

Congrats on your new pistol.
Old May 15, 2013, 06:53 PM   #8
MissPistol

Thanks, guys!

Your input is helping a lot! I don't want to do anything "wrong", and living in a close-in suburban neighborhood makes me more self-conscious.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Koda94

Start with bookmarking the Oregon Revised Statutes here: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/

Then regarding guns, start with becoming very familiar with ORS 166 where many of Oregons laws regarding guns are located.http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Then regarding your specific question about using your gun in your home take a close look at ORS 166.250(2)(b) which specifically addresses your questions.

Quote:
166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms.
(2) This section does not prohibit:
(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.
as you can see there is no regulation on how you possess your firearm within your own residence.

Quote:
Also, how would such rules apply to cleaning your gun and other activities?
safely. You are still liable to damages to other people or property.
Old May 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Buzzcook

I should have been a little less brief in my first post.

Oregon is a great state for guns. Portland has several ranges where you can get instruction and or rent handguns.

If you haven't taken a basic handgun class yet, pick a range near you with an instructor you like.
It's been years since I've lived in the Portland area, but my friends and relatives tend to shoot at the Clackamas range.

A good introductory class should teach you the basics of the law as well as the basics of safe gun handling.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:14 PM   #11
hermannr

MissPistol:

You really need to read ORS 166.170 and following. Start here:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.170 and then just follow the left column on down through the law.

Pay particular attention to ORS 166.173 especially as you live in the Portland area. Also, remember to study ORS 166.173(2)(c) and (2)(d). If you have an OR CHL you do not have to worry about Portand and Multnoma Co's restrictions. If you do not have a CHL you do need to read Portland and Multnoma Co's ordinances also.

Next section to pay particular attention to is ORS 166.250 (prohibitions) and ORS 166.260 (Exemptions) Read carefully, and remember, that which is not prohibited, is permitted. In OR it is very useful to have a CHL (particularly in Portland) even though unlicensed OC is legal (ORS 166.250(3))

A very good summery of the law is at www.handgunlaw.us
Old May 18, 2013, 02:45 AM   #12
NWPilgrim

Use of firearms at home -Oregon specific

As an Oregonian I agree there is no law restricting non-firing use or carry in your own home. But basic firearm safety says you never point at other houses or people. And common sense says to close the blinds when you are handling your guns. Neighbor or passerby could call in that it looks like you are going to shoot yourself or might be in an argument or drug deal, etc. or that you are doing in view of them to intimidate or threaten them. Who knows how far it could be stretched in our nervous Nelly age.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Glockstar .40

there is no law in Oregon prohibiting dry fire exercises in your home. but close your curtains or you might get your door kicked down by portland PD.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:14 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...dry-fire laser target practice in my house...
Here's a good resource on how to dryfire practice safely.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/p...y-fire-safety/
Old May 19, 2013, 01:51 AM   #15
MissPistol

Superb input!

Thank you all for the help. The dry-fire article is excellent. The muscle and brain habits are what I would hope to solidify. The next-to-last step interests me - how I have just trained myself that the gun won't fire by pulling the trigger. that is indeed true, but I guess I'll just have to intersperse with trips to the range to break up any habits, eh?

The statutes will take a bit more time to digest.