The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
bkhann

EGW/ Lee Undersize Reloading Die

I purchased a Lee Undersize Reloading Die from EGW to deal with the problem of some 9mm cases that are bulged toward the base and will not properly filt the case gauge.

My question is: is there a problem in using this resizing die on all of the cases that I size?

Is there a downside to using an undersize resizing die on a normal (dimensioned) case?

Thanks for your input.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
D. Manley

I run all my range brass through the U-Dies...9MM, .38/.357, .40 & .45 at least once. I'm starting to use them more and more since a loaded case failing to gauge is virtually a thing of the past after U-Die sizing. A lot of people simply use it as their normal resizing die. Logic would indicate that it's use would shorten brass life but I suspect the extra little .001 squeeze it puts on the case don't amount to much in the overall scheme of things. IMO, even if it did shorten brass life a tad the peace of mind offered by the extra case tension on the bullet would be worth it. I like em.