The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ImprobableJoe

Why are Democrats unwelcome on gun-related forums?

Hey guys and gals...

I'm a gun enthusiast, a USMC vet, and a registered Democrat. I'm also looking to buy at least one handgun for self defense, possibly two if I can teach my wife to not be afraid of guns. Wish me luck...

Earlier today, I joined and was swiftly run off of another website for daring to admit that I exercised my right to vote in a manner different from the majority of that other site.

Is there a place for pro-shooting Democrats here, or will I be accused of faking my military service if I admit to voting for Obama?
Old June 11, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Any .45

Welcome to TFL. We won't treat you to bad. As far as the democratic voting, you'll grow out of it.. No really you will. Enjoy the forums, ask all the questions you can ask, share your knowledge and don't get offended easily. Don't talk politics here, its outside of the general forum topics and your posts will be deleted and threads closed for not following the rules. We are here to talk about firearms, tactics and civil liberties, after that well use your better judgment.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old June 11, 2009, 09:45 PM   #3
reloaderNOOB

are you from montana? I hear their democrats vote pro-gun, is that true?
Old June 11, 2009, 09:48 PM   #4
ImprobableJoe

I live in Florida, I grew INTO being a Democrat, and I'm not sure what "pro-gun" voting really looks like, other than voting against outright bans or dumb crap like the "Assault Rifle Ban" that including rifles that weren't "assault rifles" at all.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
A/C Guy

Quote:
Is there a place for pro-shooting Democrats here, or will I be accused of faking my military service if I admit to voting for Obama?
Sounds like a troll type of opening post.

This forum is fairly strict about not discussing political "hot potatoes" or even mentioning political figures by name. As long as you abide by those guidelines, no one would ever have known that you voted for Obama.

At the risk of violating the policy, as a gun owner, I find it amazing how many people that like firearms voted for Obama even though he specifically stated repeatedly that he wants to ban all firearms.

Some people have no sense what so ever.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Any .45

Roger that, I believe brother do what you do, and vote how you want. But if you like firearms and enjoy them, doing some research on who your going to vote for and where they stand as to your beliefs and your standards, would help. I mean, when it comes down to it, you won't get a chance to vote against an assault weapon ban or something of the sort, unless your a congressman or a senator. At least not directly, you voted for or against a ban, by voting for the person(s) you voted for. You voted for the destruction or progression of this countries civil rights, liberties, and well being, by voting for the person(s), you voted for.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido
Old June 11, 2009, 10:02 PM   #7
maestro pistolero

Welcome to TFL. We need Democrats like you. Please disregard those who may be too focused on party affiliation. I have been guilty of the same.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:02 PM   #8
THEZACHARIAS

Staff here is pretty watchful. People dont get away with much, if any rule breaking. Political debates tend to pop up here and there, but dont last long.

I think people are more concerned with 1911vsGlock or XDvsM&P or whatever the most recent vs thread is. I gaurantee there will be less-than-flattering talk of Obama because, well lets face it, his position on gun rights is also less than flattering. Democrats got nothing to do with it.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
At the risk of violating the policy, as a gun owner, I find it amazing how many people that like firearms voted for Obama even though he specifically stated repeatedly that he wants to ban all firearms.
That's weird... because here's an actual quote from Obama's platform:

Quote:
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack
Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of
Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase,
own, transport, and use guns.
He might be lying, but it isn't like he took a stand AGAINST gun ownership.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:07 PM   #10
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Welcome to TFL. We need Democrats like you. Please disregard those who may be too focused on party affiliation. I have been guilty of the same.
Amen, brother. If someone like me can agree with the majority of people here, then that's a position we can ALL take to the anti-gun politicians, and shut them down with a bipartisan stance.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Wildalaska

Welcome.

Alaska has a Democratic Senator

WildpartyschmartytAlaska TM
Old June 11, 2009, 10:19 PM   #12
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Welcome.

Alaska has a Democratic Senator

WildpartyschmartytAlaska TM
My wife used to live in Alaska... while she would never, EVER move back to somewhere that cold, she says it was the most beautiful place she ever lived.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:20 PM   #13
gc70

Welcome to TFL, ImprobableJoe.

Democrat, Republican, or "other" - it does not make a difference as long as a person supports gun rights. The story on politicians is different, since they are all suspect until they prove their support for gun rights... and some seem less prone to do so than others.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Welcome to TFL. We won't treat you to bad. As far as the demonratic voting, you'll grow out of it.. No really you will. Enjoy the forums, ask all the questions you can ask, share your knowledge and don't get offended easily. Don't talk politics here, its outside of the general forum topics and your posts will be deleted and threads closed for not following the rules. We are here to talk about firearms, tactics and civil liberties, after that well use your better judgment.
I can't find the rule against political topics...
Old June 11, 2009, 10:24 PM   #15
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Welcome to TFL, ImprobableJoe.

Democrat, Republican, or "other" - it does not make a difference as long as a person supports gun rights. The story on politicians is different, since they are all suspect until they prove their support for gun rights... and some seem less prone to do so than others.
Thanks a bunch for the welcome.

Whoever I voted for, I am planning on spending $500-1000 on a pistol, plus a couple of hundred on a biometric pistol safe, plus ammo and range fees... and I don't make the kind of money where I would be happy to see my investment outlawed!!!
Old June 11, 2009, 10:27 PM   #16
B. Lahey

Quote:
I can't find the rule against political topics
Didn't look too hard, did you? Sticky-thread at the top of the forum titled "Law & Civil Rights Forum Rules":

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=313714

Quote:
the types of posts/threads that will not be tolerated:
Drive-by cut and paste posting.
Puerile Bickering.
Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic.
Conspiracy Threads/Posts. See below for more.
Posts/Threads on Race, Religion and Sexuality will remain off topic.
Posting invectives.
Welcome anyway.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:30 PM   #17
Swampghost

Does any of this really matter as Obama is finding center and has many more eggs to fry before getting to us.

It's kind of like hunting turkeys. You want to fall asleep but know that the second that you do something is going to happen.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:31 PM   #18
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Didn't look too hard, did you?
That sort of come close to violating the "Puerile Bickering" rule, doesn't it? :barf:
Old June 11, 2009, 10:35 PM   #19
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Does any of this really matter as Obama is finding center and has many more eggs to fry before getting to us.
You should read the left-wing blogs. We on the left gave up on gun control as a general issue well over a decade ago. Really, we just don't care. No, seriously, we don't. It isn't a big issue, and with the economy, the war, health care, and a million other things, fighting about guns is pretty much dead last on the agenda.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:37 PM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
3) No spamming, trolling, flaming or other personal attacks, be they acrimonious or veiled in humor. If you take issue with a Member's position, by all means speak your mind. If you have a problem with a Member's religion, creed, national origin, sex, politics, associations or personal hygiene, take it to email.
Rule #3. We have no problem whatsoever posting in Legal and Civil Rights forum and discuss issues BASED on our rights of gunownership in the realm of politics. Discussions based on a political party are NOT allowed.

"Barak Obama signed a bill allowing concealed carry in national parks. What position do you take?" is perfectly fine.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 11, 2009, 10:40 PM   #21
B. Lahey

Sorry, I didn't realize Marines are so sensitive. I'll be sure to type gently around you so I don't hurt your precious feelings.

Guess you missed that I was just pointing out an obviously-placed rule and welcoming you.

Last edited by B. Lahey; June 12, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:46 PM   #22
THEZACHARIAS

Oiyy, and the thread began to spiral...
Old June 11, 2009, 10:48 PM   #23
Any .45

Smell a closing coming soon. Lets be polite people. Welcome him to TFL and forget his party issues. He's on our side!?

Quote:
You should read the left-wing blogs. We on the left gave up on gun control as a general issue well over a decade ago. Really, we just don't care. No, seriously, we don't. It isn't a big issue, and with the economy, the war, health care, and a million other things, fighting about guns is pretty much dead last on the agenda.
If you really feel this is true, then why do we still fight gun control battles all the time? Or see things like this? http://www.stoptheaclu.com/2008/10/3...apons-permits/.............. H.R.45............ Or blaming mexicos firearm related problems on the U.S. or Eric Holder mentioning that they want an AWB, or O'dummy, saying it during his campaign. The list goes on and he's only been in office for less than 6 months. Just use google its a helpful tool.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido

Last edited by Any .45; June 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:54 PM   #24
ImprobableJoe

Quote:
Welcome him to TFL and forget his party issues. He's on our side!?
I'm trying to be...

Mostly, I'm on the side of me convincing my wife to let me buy something more than a Walther .22 cheapo.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:58 PM   #25
THEZACHARIAS

Has anyone actually succeeded at that? Thus far, ive failed miserably.
Closed Thread