The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 29, 1999, 09:47 PM   #1
John/az2

I read that a "search" feature would be up and running again.

Do you have an schedule update?

Thanks!

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

http://www.countdown9199.com

Old August 29, 1999, 10:20 PM   #2
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Beta #3 of 5.39 is due out this week, and is supposed to have a lot of new features. The search should be working again for it as well.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old September 2, 1999, 08:03 PM   #3
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Damn well better be...I am not pleased

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old September 6, 1999, 03:45 PM   #4

That makes at least two of us that are long on info needs, and damned short on patience!

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old September 6, 1999, 06:24 PM   #5
Jason Demond

no. three

------------------
"ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/G...Gunrights.html

ICQ no. 46780559

Old September 6, 1999, 07:55 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Make it four, guys.
Here's the deal. UBB changed their format for thread storage big time in the last few upgrades. It's come back to haunt them and they're really trying to get a revamp out.

In the meantime, this home hobby has become the hottest Discussion Software on the net, so they're going commercial. If you think the Mods take heat over here, check out their site. Living proof that $59/year buys many the right to demand the Sun, Moon and Stars!

http://www.scriptkeeper.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

I do check for the new release about 6X/day.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 06, 1999).]
Old September 6, 1999, 08:34 PM   #7
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Guess what? If you pay for a service/product...you do have the right to demand...

Kinda like the new model car...prettier, more features, but can't make a right turn....but it is prettier

------------------

Old September 6, 1999, 08:41 PM   #8
DC
Moderator Emeritus

I notice that UBB's forum has a working search function

------------------

Old September 6, 1999, 10:04 PM   #9
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Yeah, but it's in beta #2 and that still has problems.

Beta #3 was due out today, but got pushed back a little, I don't know why. 5.39 is due out on the 10th, and should have everything fixed, but there are always new bugs.

Anyhow, patience patience. Gnashing your teeth isn't going to get it working any faster.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com

Old September 6, 1999, 10:21 PM   #10
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks Spark.

DC-
You'd have to follow the site for some time to really appreciate it:
400 Computer geeks pay pennies for a great product. Because it's got a discussion site, the suggestions start:

- "Well, can't we get different smilies?"
- "Pages take too long to load when there's more than 180,000 posts"
- "My Members can't understand UBB Code"
- "Wouldn't it be cool if you could search messages based on a Member's hobby?"
- "Hey, my Members demand the ability to post anonymously."
- "I've got Flamers on my Board...Can we track ISP's"
- "My Forum's 'broke'...can you help"
- "I just paid a lot of money for this ripoff software and I can't get it to work!"
Ad Nauseum

So, improvements are made and we expect the kind of reliability that Bill Gates has yet to deliver. Kinda pushin' it, since we're under no obligation to upgrade to the latest version. Doom on me! ...unlike Bill's company, Ted at UBB provides the upgrades free.
Rich
Old September 6, 1999, 10:22 PM   #11
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

I don't care about THAT stuff. What I wanted to ask is whether we could change the colors - just a little bit! I think that a nice dark blue with a little maroon might be a nice start. Then we SLAP

(connection lost)
Old September 6, 1999, 10:42 PM   #12
DC
Moderator Emeritus

I have been patient Spark, for quite awhile..so don't patronize me. Capishe?

------------------

Old September 7, 1999, 07:36 AM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rich Lucibella quitely slinks off to beg the Powers for a working Search....Now!
Rich
Old September 7, 1999, 07:54 PM   #14
[email protected]
Wise Guy

And with that, please don't get condescending with me, Verstehe?

Please understand that it doesn't matter if 1 forum member complains or 4000 do, chances are Ted (the writer of the software) is already aware of the problem and is trying his best to fix it. On top of that, there's 4000 other webmasters who are aware of the exact same problem, and have already brought it to his attention, myself included.

Also understand that my patience is probably quite a bit thinner than yours right now because, I am the one who is constantly answering the "Where's the search? Why doesn't it work?" posts, and instead of getting support and having time to work on other important issues, I have to deal with posters who feel that they just can't wait any longer for it without having their world irrevocably damaged or other such earth shaking issues.

No offense, but when the same explanation is dished out a few hundred times, and the situation still hasn't changed, there's not much more I can do about it, capishe?

It's not like my favorite passtime is repeating myself over and over again. If that was the case, I'd go into politics, comprende?

So, in summation, the search is still broken and the next version of the software isn't out yet. BladeForums.com is part of the UBB Beta program, and we're currently finding problems with the search in the new one, so you may be out of luck for a bit longer.

So, you can come to terms with the fact that
1. We're aware of the problem
2. We're working on it
3. No, we can't work any faster
4. It will be finished when it's done.

and rest happy knowing that all the rest works just dandy. Okey Dokey?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com

Old September 7, 1999, 11:06 PM   #15
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Grow up Spark...you don't want to cross swords with me...Versteht?

Your patience is thinner? Lessee now...you moderate a forum dealing with current political events, case law, data crossing a wide range of topics that require reference and citations? Nope...you are a sysop who has to keep a site online.

Fact is Spark...many events set in the past are converging now...Constitutionally, Supreme Court, Geo-politics, etc. But, shiney buttons are more important than researchable data huh? Podesta and Begalla are proud of you

------------------

[This message has been edited by DC (edited September 08, 1999).]
Old September 8, 1999, 02:03 PM   #16
Ewok

So far, the bugs in the new software are very minor. I don't know if anyone has really verified that search is picking up every relevant post, but it sure seems to be working.

Ode to Spark: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000233.html

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited September 08, 1999).]
Old September 8, 1999, 02:59 PM   #17
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah...I checked out the search functions...worked for everything I looked for. I didn't see where "it is still broken".

But, he has his

------------------

[This message has been edited by DC (edited September 08, 1999).]
Old September 8, 1999, 06:53 PM   #18

"It's not like my favorite passtime is repeating myself over and over again. If that was the case, I'd go into politics, comprende?"

Spark: Seems we're in much the same boat, eh wot? You have to answer the same questions 'cause the search engine is blown, and we have to answer the same questions 'cause the search engine is blown.

I'll buy the first round of Mezcal shots... maybe we can get the "worm" to de-bug the engine...

Mykl Mayhem
w/ The Full-Moon Church & Asylum Band

Old September 8, 1999, 07:45 PM   #19
HankL

Boys and Girls, All I can attest to is that a shi/ load of bandwidth is being chewed up by all of us answering the same question again to the person who wants some information.
Perhaps this is why the membership is going through the roof.

New Senior member = some person asking a simple question, can't do any searches and the becomes an oppinonated olf dart like me!

Now look what you have to look forward to!

Hank
Old September 8, 1999, 07:48 PM   #20
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a novel idea: go back to the last version of UBB where the search function actually worked.

------------------

Old September 8, 1999, 08:25 PM   #21
Rich Lucibella
Staff

DC-
Thought about it. Unfortunately, I don't archive old versions (I'll start) and we're so close to the new release with 5.39 in Beta, I'm hesitant.

There have been some major changes in the last revisions, including the way Member and Topic files are written and accessed...I'd hate to loose it all.
Rich
Old September 9, 1999, 03:01 PM   #22
[email protected]
Wise Guy

[Incredibly crass and ill tempered post deleted]

This is what I love.

Just because you don't see anything, does that mean that the problem isn't there? It's kind of like Y2K, problems you never saw coming wind up blindsiding you.

DC, I have more experience with this software than you do. So, when I say there are problems, maybe you can take me at my word.

Also, I don't just keep the site online, I keep the whole server online, and run a busier site myself, as well as helping out here. Just because all my time isn't spent posting, doesn't mean that I'm sitting here drinking margaritas.

Reality check:
Nothing is perfect.
This site is free, you aren't paying for this service.
We're working on the problems.
I check the UBB site daily for bugfixes and upgrades.
I'm even beta testing the next version of the software, to help find as many bugs as possible.

Oh, and btw, downgrading to an older version of the software isn't possible because often times they aren't backwards compatible.

Not only am I aware that there are problems, but I've already forwarded them on. See the version number at the bottom of BladeForums.com? It says 5.39 BETA #4, which means that the previous 3 beta's had problems. That means that I've already been working on figuring out the potential problems and trying to fix them so that you don't even have to see them in the first place.

Instead of fighting me, you'd be better off moving on to something else. All you are doing is wasting energy and my time, which quite frankly is better spent hunting down bugs.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited September 09, 1999).]
Old September 9, 1999, 05:24 PM   #23
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my...a beta tester!

Anyone who ran the first few versions of Windows '95 was a beta tester Spark; so let's keep things in proper perspective .
You are in the same boat as I am..to whit...waiting for someone to give you something that works; you don't write the program...therefore it is absurd for you to interject yourself personally and take offense at general grousing. No one addressed you personally nor said you weren't doing your job...this wasn't about Spark until Spark artificially made it about him.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I
have to deal with posters who feel that they just can't wait any
longer for it without having their world irrevocably damaged or other
such earth shaking issues.[/quote]....this I'll comment: as a sys-op/server-op it is irrelevent to your job what the particular sites content is about..be it knives, guns, Rosie O'Donnell recipes, Barbie Doll collecting, ad nauseum. Information and retrieval of information is extremely relevent to my job on TFL and in the performance of my job. Thus a working search function has no effect on your job....it does on mine. This site/software may be free as you notably pointed out...but you get paid, you have quite a few perks; I don't....all I want is to be able to do my job. So let's not get into a pissing contest about who's job is more important and valuable and who is whining....they are not comparable; and until UBB delivers a working search function to you, you are just as helpless as I am...so check your ego and stop making this personal

------------------

Old September 9, 1999, 08:58 PM   #24
HankL

I do see that the "today's active topics" is working. That is a very good start.
Sysop etc. I can't comment on. Learning CL on AS 400 while doing my real job.
Hank
Old September 9, 1999, 09:21 PM   #25
[email protected]
Wise Guy

[Virtual rassberry]

I'll take the high road here and bow out gracefully, because there's nothing obviously to be gained by continuing this argument, other than arguing for argument's sake.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
www.bladeforums.com