The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do you deprime before tumbling?
Yep, I deprime then tumble, pickin out the media doesnt bother me 37 21.51%
Nope, I tumble then deprime, Im not a pocket picker. 117 68.02%
Who tumbles, pick em up off the ground and load em again. 7 4.07%
Nice, Ken, deflect attention from your gunbanning sympathies, I know you are a traitor 11 6.40%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 27, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Wildalaska

Tumble in or tumble out?

The hell with Rudys stance on gun control, lets get to something important:

Reloaders, do you tumble your brass with the expended primer in or out?

WildburningissueofthedayAlaska TM
Old September 27, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2
actionflies

I tried it without primers for my 45acp and it was a waste of time because it didn't clean the primer pocket. Therefore, don't do it.
Old September 27, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Edward429451

I deprime and then tumble as long as the cases aren't too dirty in which case I tumble first.
Old September 27, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Sevens

I don't even have a tumbler (I want one, though!) but a good part of the reason for tumbling is to clean the brass and keep the schmutz out of your sizing die, and to keep the crap from being sized on to your brass.

I'll be damned if I'm going to decap all my brass, then tumble it, THEN size it.

I think it's silly to size brass before you clean it if you have the tools to clean it.
(of course, it's not much sillier than never cleaning your brass... which is exactly what I do currently!)
Old September 27, 2007, 12:37 PM   #5
mrawesome22

I voted for the last option.
Old September 27, 2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Like actionflies, I tried that once. The first time I used my tumbler. And the point was?

Also tried tumbling .44 and 9mm at the same time... Never do that again, either!
Old September 27, 2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
Also tried tumbling .44 and 9mm at the same time... Never do that again, either!
I feel better now that I know there are others out there like me

I am not alone.

Quote:
I voted for the last option.
Me too. I should probably be hung

WildandthisleadstothenextreloadingpollAlaska TM
Old September 27, 2007, 12:55 PM   #8
N.M. Edmands

De-prime, tumble in liquid wash 20 min, rinse clear, into corncob damp for a couple of hours, size, load, admire, shoot, hang head in embarrassment, repeat.

"Some where something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Sagan
"It aint how good you shoot,it's how cool you look doing it." -Fred Sayre 1994
Old September 27, 2007, 01:14 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I wash my brass in a bucket of hot, soapy water.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 27, 2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Bottom Gun

Quote:
I should probably be hung
This is no time to air your personal problems.
Old September 27, 2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Trapper L

I voted on you being a trader.....or is that traitor... well somethin' like that. I use a liquid media and tumble with the primers out. Once you've used a liquid media, you can't throw that walnut/corn crap far enough. You'll look for somebody with a cannon to get it way far away. The liquid will get black military brass bright and shiny like new in 20 minutes. Washed and dried in another 20 minutes. You won't do that with the crap media.
Old September 27, 2007, 04:08 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Quote:
This is no time to air your personal problems.
You win! I am not worthy to be on the same Board as you!

Wildandnowyouowemeakeyboardandcallblasertooandtellthemtofaxmenewinvoicestheothersarespewcovered
andthebookeepermadeitclearnomorespewedoninvoiceswillbepaidAlaska TM
Old September 27, 2007, 06:14 PM   #13
T/C Hunter

I leave the primer in and just tumble. Or just use triple 0 steel wool and clean the necks .A couple spins in your hand does the job,takes off all the nasty and leaves a nice shine, it doesn't remove the brass, Just the black burn grud. For even a better way when I have the time, I steel wood the neck and then tumble. They come out great. I use walnut shells to tumble.The powder is red and dusty. Maybe I'll switch to corn cob?
Old September 27, 2007, 06:32 PM   #14
Hawg

Tumble, then deprime and size.
Old September 27, 2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Shell Shucker

If I deprime before I tumble I use a universal decapper. I don't know why I sometimes do so, tumbling does not clean primer pockets, they must be cleaned by hand if you want them clean........ I do not size dirty brass.

I'd like to know more about liquid media. Tell me! Depriming before tumbling in liquid makes sense.
Old September 27, 2007, 08:26 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm with the "mass" in my neck of the woods. I tumble with the spent primer in walnut for a bit, then corn with Midway's polishing agent. After that, a quick wipe down and ready to size...

I know I've got to be the minority on this one though...I clean out my primer pockets...yes, ALL of them....yes, pistol too....

Tuttleocdocdocdocdocdocdocd8

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 27, 2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Sigma 40 Blaster

Quote:
One day I had a BUCKET full of range brass, didn't feel like picking through the NASTY brass and sorting so I dumped it all in together...DEE DEE DEE. I had .45, .40, 9mm, .380, and .223. Went to work with a pair of needlenose pulling the cases out of each other for a couple of hours. Now I sort first.
Old September 27, 2007, 11:03 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
I clean out my primer pockets...yes, ALL of them....yes, pistol too....
Me too when I am not hanging out with Ted kennedy plotting to destroy your rights

WildicantwaittoseizeallofmeanoldmansgunsAlaska TM
Old September 27, 2007, 11:12 PM   #19
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Tuttle8, I also clean out all primer pockets. Rifle, pistol... Makes no difference. So you are definitely not alone in this.
Old September 28, 2007, 07:44 AM   #20
kellyj00

I pick em up off the ground, put them in a bucket, then put them through my turret press.

I like shiny brass, and a friend has a tumbler now so he's always stealing my brass to polish it up.
Old September 28, 2007, 11:06 AM   #21
snuffy

Quote:
I use a liquid media and tumble with the primers out. Once you've used a liquid media, you can't throw that walnut/corn crap far enough. You'll look for somebody with a cannon to get it way far away. The liquid will get black military brass bright and shiny like new in 20 minutes. Washed and dried in another 20 minutes. You won't do that with the crap media.
I tried liquid cleaner once, ONCE ONCE. IIRC it was iosso. What a mess!:barf: And a bad smell, as in STINK! Then to top it off, I had several miss fires, apparently they weren't completely dry. Another drawback was it can't be done quickly. My tumbler can be running while I eat breakfast, peek at the puter to see how Walaska is up to, grabbing my guns, and wake up a little. When that's done I can begin loading. Oh and I tumble primers IN.

Quote:
I'd like to know more about liquid media. Tell me! Depriming before tumbling in liquid makes sense.
I think I answered some of your ? in the above.

I will say that I want to investigate ultra sonic LIQUID cleaning. After getting some .223 brass from midway, I noticed how clean they were inside and out. The only reason I could figure out is that they were cleaned by using ultrasonic.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 28, 2007, 01:59 PM   #22
headhog

Waste of time deprimning and then tumbling. The media doesn't clean in the pocket so why bother and I'm just too lazy to clean pockets by hand.
Old September 28, 2007, 02:47 PM   #23
hivel37

I've done them everywhichaway.

Currently the routine is decap then tumble or liquid bath. Key to the latter is to put them in momma's oven on low for a little while after the rinse step.

Sometimes if just the necks are cruddy I'll do like T/C Hunter and steel wool'em.
Old September 28, 2007, 02:50 PM   #24
Trapper L

Okay, here's the formula. Use 2 oz of RCBS case cleaner, 1/2 cup Iosso, 2 cups vinegar, in one gallon of water. Tumble for 20 minutes. This is for BLACK brass, not general cleaning. Cut the formula in half for every day type cleaning. You can't use this in a vibratory type tumbler, obviously. I use an RCBS Sidewinder. but others will do that can seal the liquid inside. After tumbling, rinse with cold water, roll it around on a dry towel, put it in a bread pan and into the oven at 150F for 20 minutes. It's ready to load. Here's a pic of a piece of 50 cal ammo that I had. It's the only BLACK military brass I have on hand at the time. I used the half formula for 20 minutes and tumbled some 50 year old 38-40 brass with it. I took this pic after coming out of the tumbler with another piece of ammo that was in the same box.

So, how many of you can get this good of results with four hours of tumbling with your crap media? Yeah, I know, you can't. I've been doing this for over forty years and the walnut/corn media won't cut the black. I also don't have the dust to deal with either or the red rouge that gets all over and into everything. I just get nice squeaky clean brass in a fraction of the time.
Old September 28, 2007, 08:06 PM   #25
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Trapper,

I know by frequent PMing that you know you're stuff. But, I just don't have ANY ammo that looks like that, more less brass. The method that I use works great for me. I don't think my method will even come close to your dealings. I like to use the walnut and corn media because it's relatively clean and easy.

My rebuttal to you is all due respect...

Quote:
Tuttle8, I also clean out all primer pockets. Rifle, pistol... Makes no difference. So you are definitely not alone in this.
Antipitas, I think we're like the 101st in Bastogne here. My bet is we're standing alone together....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread