The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 9, 2000, 02:57 AM   #1
sithjedi

Hey all,

Just moved to Boston, MA and was wondering where you would recommend shooting pistol indoor (preferably near a T stop since I don't have a car). Also, how difficult is it to get a CCW?

Much appreciated
Old September 11, 2000, 11:40 AM   #2
godmode

You can goto www.goal.org and use the club locator.. I hear good things about the harvard club.. Should be able to find what you need there.. Good luck...

------------------
Mike Anderson
GOAL Member
NRA Member
Old September 11, 2000, 02:53 PM   #3
M1911

sithjedi: Note that the Harvard club is in Harvard, MA, nowhere near Harvard University. It's a good 45 minute car ride from Boston. Wonderful facility (I'm a member), but you can't get there without a car.

MIT has a range, but I think it is limited to .22lr and I don't know if the MIT pistol club is open to people who are not affiliated with MIT. IIRC, there is a for-profit range in Dorchester, but that's about it for inside the city limits. Without a car, you'll find it pretty hard to get to a range, since almost all are located out in the suburbs.

When you visit the Goal web site, sign up for the ma-firearms mailing list. Also review the MA gun laws (they suck), which are summarized on the web site.

Regarding CCW, if you live in city of Boston you will find it very difficult to get one unless you carry large sums of money for work (and document that fact) or are politically connected. Some suburbs are easy. Some are next to impossible.

Realize that you must get a License To Carry (LTC) simply to possess a firearm in MA. Note that the LTC may or may not allow you to carry concealed, depending upon its "reason for issuance." You should be able to get an LTC in Boston, but it will be restricted to Target and Hunting (which means you can't carry concealed). I hope that you don't already have a gun in MA without a license.

Note that before you can apply for an LTC, you must take a state certified firearms safety class. In the city of Boston, they also require a range test out at the police range on Moon Island. IIRC, the range test involves shooting a Ruger .38 spcl (provided by the police department) both double action and single action. The test is NOT a pushover. You will want to find a way to practice shooting a revolver prior to taking the test.

Jared
Old September 13, 2000, 10:19 AM   #4
godmode

yea welcome to the peoples republic of mass.

------------------
Mike Anderson
GOAL Member
NRA Member