The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 1, 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
bswiv

One of yesterday's hogs.....

Spent yesterday on the lease of a club a friend belongs to over on the Suwannee. For some reason the guys in the club don't shoot the hogs. And from what I saw in the the two we got yesterday they are missing some FINE eating. The lease has 4 peanut fields on it along with a couple of farms adjacent that also farm peanuts. Nice fat hogs.............

So with the deer season over they let us low lives that will shoot hogs come onto the lease and help keep the hog population on check.

Both of them were slipped up on in the thick stuff and succumed to 000 buck. The one my brother in law shot was at only a few yards. He was working VERY slowly through some brush when he heard what he said was a "strange" sound. And it was close....................

It took a few minutes to slip up close enough to the noise to see what was making it. Turned out to be a hog next to a big log............snoring! Needless to say he got a rude awakening.

The one in the pictures was done the easy way. Scott was on his hands and knees trying to see a couple he had been trailing for a while in some more thick stuff when this guy appeared from a different direction. Rolled over on his side and shot it...........

Old February 1, 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
LateNightFlight

Quote:
Turned out to be a hog next to a big log............snoring!
Bah-hahaha! That's awsome, and that's a hellva quiet stock!

Good hunting!
Old February 2, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
bwheasler

Keep shooting them

As a avid hog hunter I cannot say enough the all wild hogs should be shot on sight. Besides being fine eating they compete to much against native species. For ever 1 hog there is, is less habitat for 1 deer. So keep up the good work. Have BBQ.
Old February 2, 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
fm2

Nice work!
Old February 3, 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
scramble

The meat

What is the best way to use the meat. Just like regular pork??

cheers
scramble
Old February 3, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Scramble, The meat is good as it is usually. The off side is a boar that has been fighting for sows, he will have testosterone in his meat and an off taste. sow in season may also taste different. Usually it is tainted during butchering or simply spoiled from taking too long in too hot of a temp to do the work.
I know of one guy who singes off the hair and leaves the skin on and thus has less risk of dry cooked meat. wild hog have little fat so cooking MUST be stopped as soon as the meat reaches well done temp or it will begin to get tough and dry quick.
I insist on ye ol meat thermometer for wild pork as well as venison.
Brent
Old February 3, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
scramble

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. Leaving the skin on really sounds like a good idea!

kelley
Old February 3, 2009, 04:43 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My buddy uses the torch head on a hose that is used in roofing or ice removal.
It is a real fast skimming with flame then scrape with knife or whatever then repeat until it is smooth as a baby's bottom...
Brent
Old February 3, 2009, 05:38 PM   #9
bswiv

Brent:

We were talking about trying to dehair one the other day. One of the guys started talking about scalding and scraping and then the other notes that if you don't get it hot enough it will not pull and that if you get it to hot it will set. I've heard the same stuff over the years and have always just skinned them.

Now you mention the burning off of the hair................sounds like a much easier approach.

Give some more spicific directions please. Want to try it on the next one but do not want to mess up the meat.
Old February 3, 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will PM my NZ bud of another board to find the link to his directions. You can only scald a hog with guts as the water will start the cooking process in side. He burns the hair off ALL his hogs and basically what I posted is most of the details... Once located I will post his link here...
Brent
Old February 3, 2009, 06:45 PM   #11
bswiv

Thank you.....
Old February 4, 2009, 01:03 AM   #12
butta9999

thats a nice pig. Did you get a weight, and was there any tusk on it.