The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 24, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1
thump186

Mauser question

Hello everyone new member here but been lurking for a long time. My question for you all is I have a mauser that I have been able to track back to an Army model C made some time before 1930 in Berlin. I'm looking for a site or forums that I can find more info on the history and such on the model C. The rifle belonged to my wifes grandfather and as far as we know it is a 7mm caliber even though there is now caliber identifacation markings on the rifle.
Old December 13, 2011, 01:42 AM   #2
tahoe2

I can't believe no one has responded to this thread.
Robert Ball's Military "Mausers of the World" is a great reference source (book).
surplusrifle.com, also K98kforum.com, gunboards.com or type in 98 mauser or mauser military rifles in your browser

Last edited by tahoe2; December 13, 2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old December 13, 2011, 02:07 AM   #3
hornetguy

Some good, clear, close-up pics of the receiver (both sides) and a pic of the whole rifle would help immensely. If nothing else, tell us what ALL the markings on the receiver say.
At least that would be a good start.
Old December 13, 2011, 02:14 AM   #4
hornetguy

This is a quote from Wikipedia online... take it for what it's worth. It mentions the Armee-Model C. Perhaps that will get you started.

"Type A, Model B, Model K, Armee-Model C, Africa-ModelThis was a series of very successful hunting rifles that were developed in the first decades of the 20th century. The Special Rifle Type A was the top-of-the-line sporting rifle of the early 20th century. The Model B (B for Büchse) and Model K were sport rifles offered in many configurations. The Model C was made from 1903 to 1930, and was a cheap rifle made to accommodate a range of cartridges, such as for hunting. Despite its name, it was not a major military rifle, though it was purchased by some. The Mauser Africa Model was used mainly by settlers in Africa, and was introduced around 1904 and 1905."