The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 16, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
velocette

1917 Enfield project done.

1917 Eddystone Enfield, in caliber .30 of 1906. Found as a bubba'd mess through the internet. I Found a stock on the internet for a moderate sum & went to work.
Bolt lever straightened & shortened, muzzle shortened 1 1/2" (to remove front sight dovetail) & given an 11 degree target crown.
Ears cut off & rear of receiver rounded to match front. All metal shaped to fit the stock. Magazine shortened to 5 rds. Dayton Traister trigger & cock on opening modification. Triggerguard narrowed & re-shaped, front of magazine floor straightend & re-shaped. Barrel free floated, action glass bedded.
Extractor on bolt fire blued as was the bolt release lever balance of rifle got 400 grit polish & hot blue. Limbsaver recoil pad fitted. The rifles barrel had been changed a long time ago in an arsenal re-fit. GI barrel is in good shape. Without any load development, I got 1 1/2" groups @ 100yds with my M1 Garand ammo.
All the work was done with hand tools. Files, hacksaw (once) sandpaper, wood carving knives & chisels.
Now I get to take it to the range and start to wear it out.

Roger

Old September 16, 2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Geezerbiker

Nice work. Any idea who made the stock?

Tony
Old September 16, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Kansas Shooter

Nice work, for sure! I notice your tight groups and wondered what scope you have mounted? I'll be in the market for glass to mount on a .308 build in the near future.
Old September 16, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
velocette

Geezer;
No idea who made the stock.
No identification on it, no name, no marks. It was partially inletted for the 1917 Enfield but by no means completely.
It was basically shaped like what you see. MUCH work to fit the rifle to the stock & I have many mistakes in it that no-one but me will see.
I bought it through a gent replying to my post about building a '17 Enfield as a way of atoning for sins while I was much younger.

Kansas shooter, The scope is a Nikko Stirling 4 ~ 16 nite eater, 1" tube. Not an expensive scope, but it works well, holds its zero and is repeatable. I also have a 4 ~ 16 Nikko nite eater with a 30mm tube on my DPMS LR308 & it is brighter and just as usable.

Roger

Last edited by velocette; September 16, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old September 16, 2011, 08:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Almost exactly what Remington did with a huge stock of M1917 parts; they called the result the Model 30.

Jim
Old September 16, 2011, 08:50 PM   #6
velocette

James K;
You're absolutely correct. Not only that but the scope mounts for a model 30 can and do fit a modified '17 Enfield, if the rear of the receiver is reshaped correctly.

Roger
Old September 17, 2011, 08:27 AM   #7
mkk41

Looks good! Unfortunately , most 1917 sporters were poorly done. Funny how military surplus rifles made for an inexpensive sporter. Today , most military rifles in good original condition are worth more than brand new sporting rifles.
Old September 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
RwBeV

You did a great job that is coming from someone that has sporterized and built a ton of 1917's both P14 and P17's. That stock resembles a Herters stock that they put out for an inexpensive sporter. The Enfield has a soft spot in my hart you can put anything on it you have the imagination for from 22 to 416 Rugby. I have a couple in the works right now one heavy 30-40 Krag AI and 300 WM that I will never finish, the young man that was building the rifle was killed in a car accident just before we were able to finish the gun. Good luck trying to wear it out you have tough job ahead of you.

Bob
Old September 17, 2011, 06:25 PM   #9
hooligan1

Sweet rifle dude!! Hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I enjoyed looking at it.
Old October 8, 2011, 02:37 PM   #10
CPTMurdoc30

That is a nice looking rifle you got there.

Here is my sporter 1917.