The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 1, 2015, 02:37 PM   #1
FM12

Browning BDM any experience?

Local gun store has one, used, one mag. Any one with experience with them? Love the grip and operation.
Old July 1, 2015, 06:27 PM   #2
rt11002003

Try pistolsmith.com for a good review.
Old July 1, 2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Viper99

I will assume that it shoots a lot like the Beretta Cheetah, have the Cheetah, BDM still on my wish list.
Old July 1, 2015, 07:31 PM   #4
Jim Watson

A guy here in North Alabama wore out three and keeps the best one patched up as a house gun.

Parts are hard to come by or he would have kept shooting them.
Old July 1, 2015, 09:56 PM   #5
DanTSX

If you buy it, get used to that one mag..... Parts for these guns are hard to find. Maybe impossible.

They are good, quality guns, with very good ergonomics and triggers. But they hit the market at the wrong time, and Browning never put a lick of marketing effort into them. The end result is a short-lived, still-born pistol, which isn't that different of a MO than Browning / FN's follow-up efforts since then.

If you have other guns that you use and shoot, and you want an interesting gun from a time when the market and manufacturing was in a major state of transition, by all means, pick it up. But if you are looking for a first, second, or a handgun for specific person or purpose, I'd recommend widening the search.
Old July 2, 2015, 05:53 PM   #6
tekarra

I had one and sold it because the "R" mode trigger was very mushy. In "A" mode it was a pretty good shooter. Wish I still had it.
Old July 3, 2015, 06:34 AM   #7
gyvel

I had one, briefly, in Pre-Ban times with two hi cap mags. What sold me was the excellent feel of the grip. What turned me off and ultimately made me get rid of it were some of the Zamak internals parts and the use of Silastic to hold a certain part in the slide.
SIFE