The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
EdInk

Percussion Cap Long Rifle Kits

I would like to buy a .50cal percussion cap Kentucky Long Rifle (or similar type) kit to put together as a project and use it mostly as wall hanger (but fire every once in a while.) I definitely want a one piece stock (most seem to come with a two-piece stock) and want percussion cap ignition (NOT flintlock). I'm looking to stay under $700 it possible bit still have something pretty good. Any suggestions or is this not possible for the money?
Old June 2, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
MJN77

Is this what you mean?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...ducts_id=11605

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=2031
Old June 2, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
capper

Who does'nt love Dixie Gun Works?? Nice looking kits.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Pahoo

I like the way you think !!!

Quote:
Is this what you mean?
Good call; especially when it's a Pedersoli. Another good point, is that you won't have to worry about bluing the barrel. That is unless you want to go to a Plum-Brown finish which is common, on a Pedersoli. I have assembled other kits but never been fortunate to assemble one of these. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 3, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
EdInk

Thank you for the help. Do you know what kind of wood they use in the kits? I would definitely want to finish/refinish the wood so that it looks nice. I will browse through the Dixie Gun Works website later today and see what all options are available.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
EdInk

One more quick question. Why do the guns in the link have "weird" looking areas to set the percussion cap? All the others I've seen, even on that same page, have a more traditional looking nipple for them.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Strafer Gott

I did a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It took a bit of time, trying to look defarbed and all, but it's definitely fun. Shooting them is even more fun, as they seem to come right to poi, at least with a low charge and a high charge. Go for it.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Pahoo

Wood and flash cups !!

Quote:
Do you know what kind of wood they use in the kits?
Most of the ones I have seen and owned, have what I would call; American walnut. Would not be surprised to see other wood that are "In the Spirit". I would suggest you go to the Pedersoli website and see if you can review the specs. ....

Quote:
Why do the guns in the link have "weird" looking areas to set the percussion cap?
I believe you might be refering to the flash-cups and I wouldn't worry about that too much and in fact, you don't have to use them. Basically you have a "Drum & Nipple" as opposed to the "Snail & Nipple". Flash cups are more applicable to the drum & nipple. ...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...ords=flash+cup

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old June 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
MJN77

I believe the Pedersoli rifle stocks are made of european walnut. I have had a few Pedersoli guns, some of them were kits and the wood is quite nice. You shouldn't have a problem making them look good.
Old June 3, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Check out Track Of The Wolf - they stock parts, custom kits, etc. If you're wanting a nice percussion rifle, you can either use a rough stock blank or get a pre-carved stock.

I'm not knocking Dixie . . . but shop around first. Take a look at Track and see what they have to offer - look in Muzzle Blasts as well at some of the other suppliers . . . then make up your mind.

There are lots of suppliers out there . . some of whom offer "kits in the white". Tennessee Valley Arms (TVA) is another one to check out. I'm not current on what some of the prices are now but your budget and some careful shopping should provide you with a wood quality lock, barrel and furniture to put together a decent simple southern style rifle . . . something that's different from the "run of the mill" kit guns.

Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Hawg

They will cost more but if you want real quality parts that will last for generations check out Pecatonica River. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/
Old June 3, 2012, 09:45 PM   #12
arcticap

Pedersoli probably makes the best of the skill level 1 kits.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Hawg

I'd have to have a skill level 1/4.
Old June 4, 2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Pahoo

arcticap + 1

Quote:
Pedersoli probably makes the best of the skill level 1 kits.
If indeed you want to work a kit gun, then I'd have to agree I know guys that have gone it, the long way and very few were "completely" satisfied as you really have to know what your are doing and it's a labor of love .....

Be Safe !!!