The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
SOP9

Need some load data for .357 Magnum Titegroup powder/ Berrys 158 Gr Lead 357 action

Hello, all

First of all I am new to loading, And would appreciate any help I could get.

Im looking to load, .357 Magnum target loads for police style training max 50 Yard targets in a S&W 686-6 .357 Revolver. 3" barrel.

what I have in stock to work with:
.357 Magnum brass cases
Hodgdon Titegroup powder
Federal primer Small Pistol 100
berrys .357 action lead semi wad cutters

Hodgons load data said start with 4.5 gr,
but im wondering about the primer, Federal SP 100?

Thanks in Advance,

Capt. Jarvis Nelson Osorio
www.SOP9.com

Last edited by SOP9; May 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 2, 2012, 06:35 AM   #2
GP100man

Changing to a different primer I`d back off to start loads & try a few .

Titegroup is a fast powder so watch for coating failure as ya go !

Universal may give ya better results , just stay at 1k fps.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
bossman

You should be able to use the small pistol with the Tilegroup as it's a fast burning powder. I never used Berrys lead bullets but from what I understand they're hard cast with a high BHN and should work well at high velocity.

I'd make about 10 at 4.5 4.7 and 5.0 as test rounds to make sure everythings going to work together. This should also give you an ideal of the grouping and where you should be with velocity. With the three inch barrel you will lose a little of the printed velocity.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
SOP9

Thank you for your help

I have a lb of each Hodgdon Clays and Hodgdon hp-38
Could these be used with the Federal Small pistol Primers for .357 Magnum Loads

I have a the lymans reloading, and some other load data, but nothing really talks about the variations for .357 magnum loads. nor primer comparability, any
recipes you would recommend. and or even where I could find precise load data that includes primers, powder, bullet, FPS, Pressures,

Most of the Load Data I've come across is very generic.

Thanks in Advance

Certified Firearms Instructor
www.SOP9.com
Old May 2, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Old 454

I have used Titegroup for .357 with small pistol primers and not had a single problem, I have also used A#5 for 357 with small pistol primers with out any problems either. These wre with SnS Castings 17 BHN 158 gr. LSWC.

If I remember correctly use the small pistol magnum primers in the winter or with slow burning powder that maybe harder to ignite.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
SOP9

Do the Casings have a big impact in this situation, Im using Fiocchi , and winchester .357 casings. Im not looking to max the loads
Old May 2, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Quote:
Do the Casings have a big impact in this situation, Im using Fiocchi , and winchester .357 casings. Im not looking to max the loads
The brand of case doesn't really make any difference in revolver cartridges, other than some (S&B) have really tight primer pockets, and some (Remington) have thinner walls and give less neck tension.

SP primers are the right ones with all the powders you listed, and it really doesn't matter what brand primer you use for this application. If you ever try slow-burning spherical powder (W296, H110, HS-6, and a very few others) you'll want to switch to a magnum primer or a small rifle primer.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Hammerhead

Unless you are near max charges, changing the primer or the cases from one brand to another will not be an issue. You can work up your load from the starting data with any brand of non-magnum pistol primer or case. Move up in .2 or .3 grain increments till you reach the desired power/accuracy level.

Titegroup is a fine choice for light to medium loads in the .357 with 158 grain lead bullets. I used it for years in .357 in my IHMSA silhouette loads. Clays would work too, but move up slowly and carefully with Clays. I don't like Universal in light or medium .357 loads, too much unburned powder. HP-38 would be fine.

Chances are fair that you will see leading at the starting loads, but it should disappear when you reach pressure levels high enough to bump the bullet up to fill the bore.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
SOP9

SP primers are the right ones with all the powders you listed, and it really doesn't

I do have Federal small rifle primers, could that be substituted for small pistol magnum primers?

thank you guys for the help.

Certified Firearms Instructor
http://www.SOP9.com

http://www.Facebook.com/StandardOperatingProcedure9
Old May 2, 2012, 10:41 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Quote:
I do have Federal small rifle primers, could that be substituted for small pistol magnum primers?
Yes, but you don't need magnum primers. Regular SP primers will work better. Magnum primers are for hard-to-ignite powders.
Old May 3, 2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Hammerhead

Quote:
No. Rifle primers are rarely used in pistol loads. They are constructed with thicker cups.

You can substitute brands of primers, but not magnum for standard or rifle for pistol.

You load data will not call for magnum primers either unless you are using the slowest burning powders like H110/W296.

Titegroup, HP-38, Universal, Clays, Unique are all best loaded with standard (non-magnum) primers, winter or summer.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:25 PM   #12
zxcvbob

*Small* rifle primers work just fine in pistol cartridges if your firing pin spring is strong enough to pop them reliably (and most are except DA revolvers shot double action.) If you have the primers already it's worth trying. If you need to buy primers, buy the right ones

Large rifle primers are too tall to use in pistol cases -- at least they are supposed to be, if they are in spec and so is the brass.

Tags
.357 magnum , jarvis nelson osorio