The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2009, 01:02 PM   #1
XParaman

Reloading 300 H&H Mag

I recently got a prewar Model 70 Wincester. Its not a collector so I plan on hunting with it. Does anyone else load for this rifle? I hesitate to load at max loads, although it is in good condition, I had the barrel scoped and its great. I just need to get some pet loads if possible, to try in my rifle. Iam a Hornaday man, I like their bullets, so plan on using them. Thanks in advance
Old November 9, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
crimsondave

I reload 300 H&H, if that is what you are asking. It's in a Remington 721, though.

I think the 300 H&H is superior to the win mag, imo. It is within a hundred fps of all loads and is equal to in some weights with much less powder.

What are you wanting to do with it? You can push a 180 gr bullet 3000 fps with no problem, or you can push a lighter bullet real fast.
Old November 9, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
wncchester

"I hesitate to load at max loads,"

I would not hesitate, at least not because of the age of the rifle.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:44 AM   #4
XParaman

Reloading 300H&H

What I want to do is make an accurate load for Mule deer and Elk. I have all the books, but hoping to find someone who has a prewar that they reload for. As you all know, most guns have a preference to what bullet , powder, case, and primer. I just want to try and cut the time down developing a load. I will use 180 grain bullets, but am undecided on powder, primer, and limited to cases. I have Hornaday and Remington cases. So, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 10, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
XParaman

300 H&H

By the way, I think the 300 H&H is superior to the 300 Mag, it can be loaded to better velocities then the 300mag with less powder. Its still a fine caliber, but has fallen out of favor.
Old November 10, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
crimsondave

Well my loads won't help you in that rifle. I don't see many other 300 H&H reloaders. Good to see one!
Old November 10, 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Shoney

Xparaman

WELCOME TO TFL!!!!

Unfortunately what works in someone elses weapon, probably will not do well in your weapon. Generally, the 300 H&H, like most other large capacity cases, will shoot more accurately at or near max loads.

I have found IMR 4831 to be an excellent powder for accuracy and velocity. The 200 grain bullets will perform better.

The bottom line is that you need to develop your load, by working up several bullets and powders. If you use the dartboard approach (trying to use other's pet loads) you may, out of sheer dumb luck, repeat, you may get an accurate load. However, I would bet against it.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 24, 2011, 09:58 PM   #8
searchlight6

I have some older original in the box 300H&H if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Old October 24, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Alaska444

The .300 H&H magnum was my dad's bear gun in Alaska. He killed three black bears with it, a lot of moose and caribou as well. Great gun. My older brother now has it up in Maine. I now have a .300 WSM in Browning BLR.