The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 18, 2015, 05:08 PM   #26
DirtyHarold

1 word. Casull.
Old September 18, 2015, 05:39 PM   #27
Chuck Dye

www.corneredcat.com

Read and heed: the lady knows where of she writes!
Old September 21, 2015, 12:12 PM   #28
chupps

Chose the gun you are most accurate with. I carry a Russian Makarov for that reason.
Old September 21, 2015, 12:26 PM   #29
MarkCO

Lots of choices. Best bet is get to a range with rentals and see if there is one you can both shoot and carry well.

Few people enjoy carrying full sized pistols.

I typically look at P3AT, PF9, CW9, G42, G43, Shield, PM9 and maybe a few others. I let folks shoot them, and sometimes they surprise you, and themselves. Had a friend and his wife get CCW permits, they explored and shopped and she ended up with a S&W Airweight .38 and he with a M&P40C. But they got to try them. Neither would have been my first suggestions.

The better trained you are, the more options you have. For most, I like to keep it 9mm and simple.
Old September 21, 2015, 07:24 PM   #30
Limnophile

The CZ P-07 has modular backstraps so can be custom fit to almost anyone's grip. It is compact and dehorned for comfortable carry, has a rail for laser or light for home defense, and is available at a reasonable price. It is also known to be very accurate, precise, and reliable.
Old September 21, 2015, 07:37 PM   #31
MarkCO

I do like the CZ P07 and P09, they are just larger than most people are going to carry on a regular basis. But I do keep wanting to shoot one again over a several month period.
Old October 3, 2015, 10:30 PM   #32
StrutStopper

I'm partial to the CZ75D PCR. It's an alloy version of the CZ75 Compact with a decocker instead of manual safety. Its a double stack 9 but it conceals well and is pleasant to shoot at the range. It's a bit lighter than the steel version. CZ75 P-01 is about the same thing, only it has a rail.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:58 AM   #33
Nathan

32 posts and the op never checked back in.....c'mon folks. No need to post and run!
Old October 15, 2015, 07:46 PM   #34
nailshooter

I carry the cz po7. I use the n82 holster. I have over 1500 rounds through it. I keep it in DA in holster. Its so fun to shoot. It eats everything however its extremely accurate with lawman 115 tmj. Its about $75 to $100 less than glock or xd. I highly recommend this to shooters with small to medium hands. The ergos are excellent. I'm sure any of the popular guns such a Smith xD Glock Walter and Kahr will be fine. I do like the glock 19 too. The glock is lighter and eats all ammo. Although not as fun to shoot as the p07. If u want something smaller check out the xd mod or the new taurus millineum. Good luck on yer decision.
Old October 16, 2015, 09:54 PM   #35
Andy Blozinski

Try out a Sig P938. Small 9mm that doesn't have bad recoil. I'm picking one up tomorrow. Make sure you get one with the Hogue rubber grips and the 7 shot extended magazine. Apparently both those accessories make a big difference and reduce the recoil and/or enhance control.
Old October 17, 2015, 08:55 AM   #36
Dirty_Harry

HK P2000 comes the closest to a one size fits all gun. Very ergonomic and a joy to shoot.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 18, 2015, 04:07 PM   #37
Stevie-Ray

I'd have to go with Glock 26s. Make sure the wife can handle one properly, preferably at a range that rents them. And if the butt doesn't fit your large hands good enough for hours of fun at the range, there is always sleeves and a G17 magazine. Actually the G26 is the only weapon I have that I would like a duplicate of.
Old October 18, 2015, 04:37 PM   #38
skizzums

i think you and your wife need to decide what size of gun you are really willing to carry. most suggestions i see are not carry pistols that i can carry at work with my required wardrobe. i have to go on the sub-compact side excluding the colder months which are few.

i have large hands and of course a duty or compact is the best shooting, i prefer the CZ compact over any other in terms of comfort and fit, but i tried to carry it for like 2 years and it was awful. the shield is a good candidate for a oone-size fit, it fits me pretty good and most other's that i shoot with. the recoil can be stiff, but really not half-bad. anywhere should have one for rent. i ended up with the Taurus PT111 for capacity and size, and i am happy with it, but i have no idea where you and our wife's recoil tolerance is or what your size requirement will be. it seems like a large gun will be easier to carry until you actually do it for a week, but i don't have an office job and i have to interact very closely with co-workers, patients and management all day, you may not have the same issue, and your wife may just go with her purse.

my wife has tried every semi-auto i have owned and two that she picked herself, and ultimately went with a 357/38 snub nose revolver that she can shoot way better from day one, than any of the small/med/large 9mm's. i also enjoy the concealability of her polymer snub, but suffer for the sake of capacity. if you are anything like we were, it going to take a few guns before you both get it figured out, the options are endless. i can recommend a two dozen gun list, as could everyone else, but none may be best for you and your wife could be even more challenging. i can only recommend the old "go rent some and shoot them" or just find one that feels good and try it. the shield is nice for carry, the Nano is also another that comes to mind that's not too little for larger hands. if conceal is easy for you both, then a compact CZ or CZ type is first on my list, the recoil is soft even with the polymer/alloy framed pistols and the sa/da trigger makes me a better shooter every time. The Canik/tristar, EAA's both make light and affordable pistols that are super reliable for half the cost of a real CZ, great for figuring out if it's for you. The small Sig Sauer's are also great shooters, for a price, and also have great triggers and soft recoil for the size.
Old October 19, 2015, 10:04 AM   #39
JDBerg

I would line up any of the guns already mentioned for a test shoot against a Walther PPS, and I know which one I'd probably choose;

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m..._poly_grips_bl
Old October 19, 2015, 11:28 AM   #40
Nathan

Well, you done chased them off. They wanted to know if a Rwven or Phoenix 22 was good and we listed up real guns!
Old October 19, 2015, 11:39 AM   #41
boatdoc173

everyone has their own opinion

mine is--depends on your budget and needs

great carry guns are out there--both da/sa and striker fired

some love 1911s . some love glocks,walthers, S+Ws

we use a glock 19 for cooler weather carry

for summer carry we have a walther ccp or (recently) we bought S+W shields BUT that trigger bothers me. It is not a traditional in trigger safety like a glock. It seems to me that the trigger can be pulled almost all the time thus accidental discharges are more of a reality(maybe someone who carries a S+W product can discuss why it is NOT a huge danger vs glocks or walther or a good revolver/semi auto in DA/sa?

so for a list try

compact Beretta 92

cz 75 compact or p-01

glock 19

walther ppq or ccp

h+K vz9

too many others to just list
Old October 19, 2015, 06:02 PM   #42
BigJimP

Staying with a 9mm is smart.../ lighter recoil, less expensive retail ammo for practice....

A couple of guns that I like ( with big hands ) ...and guns that some of the younger grandkids also like shooting ( with smaller hands ) ....:

a. the Sig 239 ( because the mag on it has a bumper that allows you to get your pinky finger firmly on the gun - and the single stack is still small enough for smaller hands). -----

b. a 1911 in 9mm / Kimber Tactical Pro model is light with an alloy frame, 4" bull barrel, decent gun - lighter than a full sized 1911. There are other offerings out there in 1911's in 9mm...Springfield, Colt - and some higher end guns from Wilson Combat, etc...
Old October 20, 2015, 02:31 PM   #43
vyse.04

As mentioned by someone else, I would also recommend a pair of Glocks. 5 years ago my wife hated guns, and didn't even want them around the house. After taking her shooting we found she was not a fan of longer trigger pulls (Kahr), DA/SA was a no go due to her hand size (HK), snubbies were tough (S&W), but the Glock 42 worked perfectly for her.

I was surprised she liked the feel of Glocks, but was glad she found something to shoot. I tried to step it up to a PPS in 9mm, but it wasn't to be. The recoil is sharp, and it didn't have that Glock feel. It all worked out as I used that opportunity to buy a G26 and G42, and like that Glock made a believer out of me. You obviously can't swap magazines between the two (or with G43 and G26), but other than interchangability, I feel like we were not losing anything.

I've been to many ranges across a few different states. Every range I've seen that rents guns has Glocks to try. Grab a Glock and whatever comprable models to try out. It may work for you, or it may not. One of the ranges I went to would charge a flate rate to rent, then you could swap a few times before they would consider charging you again... Those are the places to shoot.
Old October 20, 2015, 03:17 PM   #44
BigBL87

I have a Taurus PT111 and it seems to fit your criteria very well. I have larger hands and it is quite comfortable for me, and fits in my wife's hands fine as well. It does have a rail to mount a light as well. The only complaint I have is the trigger, not a big fan of the takeup in it but I've gotten used to it.
Old November 1, 2015, 09:06 AM   #45
Super Blackhawk

As millions of new conceal carry buyers can attest... The smith n Wesson Shield is perhaps the most reliable, easy to carry n accurate of any CC handgun on the market today. It comes with or without manual safety in 9mm or 40 n with a little practice can even be pocket carried with little or no printing in a pocket holster such as Desantis makes for it.
Old November 1, 2015, 10:03 AM   #46
Bullrock

I had all but chosen the Walther PPS as my new carry two weeks ago. After watching PPS video's on You Tube, I was ready to buy my first striker fired pistol.

I went to a very reputable dealer I had purchased from in the past, with the cash in pocket. He handed me a PPS, and left to wait on other customers.

The video on You Tube had warned me about the slide return being difficult to work with just a thumb. His kept sliding off. I couldn't get the slide to return with just my thumb. Not only did my thumb slide past the lever, I couldn't get the darn thing to return using both hands.

The video also warned me about the mag. release being on the trigger guard. No way! The Pro on the video had some difficulty, I had allot of difficulty. I decided there was no way I was going to get a quick slide release with that system. So I didn't purchase the PPS. I was disappointed, because the feel, and size of the gun, were just what I was looking for.

Maybe it was just "That" PPS. Maybe it was me. Irregardless, I wasn't going to spend the time it would take, working out a gun with a frozen slide release, and a dumb mag. release. The Euros can keep it. My point, if you are considering a PPS for carry, try it, before you buy...