The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 13, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Deja vu

Suppressing a 357magnum automatic

I currently own many 357 magnum firearms both in pistols and rifles. Among them is a Coonan Classic 357 magnum semiautomatic.

I am wondering if a standard 9mm can will be able to handle the pressure of a full power 357 magnum round or if not what you would recommend.

I realize that I will have to get a longer barrel for the Coonan (one that sticks out from the end of the slide).

I know many people suppress 357 magnum rifles with a 9mm can but would the can be able to handle the added pressure from a 6 inch barrel?

I realise that a can works best with subsonic ammo and I plan to reload some subsonic bullets but I would like to shoot it with full loads as well... is that possable with out dammaging a 9mm can?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 13, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
RAnb

The only good answers you are going to get is from the manufacturers. Look here; http://www.silencertests.com/links.htm .

Ranb
Old July 13, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3
David Hineline

Your 357 magnum auto loaders are not going to cycle with subsonic ammo.

Just buy a 9mm pistol
Old July 14, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Deja vu

Quote:

Just buy a 9mm pistol
I all ready have run it with subsonic 180 grain bullets. It runs fine.

It also run 38 specials (with a lighter spring) and most of those are subsonic

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 15, 2011, 04:41 PM   #5
chadstrickland

If that doesn't work go find you a class 3 gun shop with manufacturing license and get the to custom build you one and register it with the atf..
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 31, 2011, 02:40 PM   #6
PParcells

i've been looking at this too. i looked into getting a threaded barrel, storm lake said they will only make barrels for Coonan, and not individuals, so i think we are on our own as far as building an adapter to mate a suppressor to our barrel. and from the research ive done, it appears as if we would need a similar diameter rifle supressor, or a 9mm SMG suppressor to handle the load, and a nielson device to make it cycle. im thinking of making my own, probably a wet one, so i can keep it sorta kinda compact, as much as i can be. hope that helps answer any questions?

Last edited by PParcells; August 31, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Deja vu

I know they are thinking about making longer barrels for the Coonan. I read this on there forums. If they do a 6 inch barrel it would be as easy as just having a gun smith thread it.

I have talked to several places that make suppresses. Most of them say a 9mm pistol suppressor will not work well with a 357 magnum (semiautomatic) pistol but would probably be fine with a 357 magnum rifle.

Old August 31, 2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
Who cares about subsonic? The sonic crack is just a fraction of the muzzle report anyway. With a can it will be much quieter.
Old August 31, 2011, 09:19 PM   #9
PParcells

what do they know? how many people have tried it!? lol. i think I'LL be the judge of how well it works! im sure a wet can will work wonders. at a minimum, it'll eliminate the flame the blows out of the barrel, and cut down on the boom. the zombies wont know what hit em...
Old August 31, 2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Deja vu

Quote:
Who cares about subsonic? The sonic crack is just a fraction of the muzzle report anyway. With a can it will be much quieter.
even if the Coonan stock spring did not function with sub sonic ammo (mine does with 180 grain rounds) how hard would it be to put a lighter spring in? It uses the standard 1911 sized springs the stock spring for 357 magnum is 22lbs you could just go lighter if needed for sub sonics.